latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Assistance programs in Seattle and King County.

Find charities, government agencies and churches that offer financial assistance near you in King County as well as the city of Seattle. Organizations offer free food, provide funds to help with rent or security deposits, or grants to pay utility or electric bills. There is also free foreclose prevention, mortgage relief as well as home buying services. Locate financial help near you in Seattle WA and King County

Learn how to get free government grant money in the Seattle, Renton, Kent or Bellevue WA area or a gas voucher or bus pass for work. Or residents of King County Washington can get their basic needs met, including free stuff such as a car, furniture for a home and more.

There are charities, like Hopelink, University Churches and Catholic Community Services, that provide free items. Organizations giveaway groceries, food or school supplies for kids or a free car for employment. Or get eye exams, Christmas toys, or work clothes in the Seattle region - all of which is combined with financial help.

Grant money to help pay bills from Seattle area community action agencies

Redmond, King County and Seattle Washington based Hopelink (one of the community action agencies) has several offices throughout the area that offer residents a variety of immediate and long term financial assistance programs. Free government grants, vouchers for gasoline or a hotel room, hardship funds and other support is offered. Everyone from single mothers to veterans, the disabled and people in poverty will get help.

  • People who apply to and are accepted into the Hopelink program are referred to various services. The low-income and those with no money can benefit from financial assistance programs that provide short term, emergency help with paying bills. The non-profit will also help them become self sufficient, including finding the money to pay bills for urgent needs. Learn more on how to get free money.
  • Free Food  - Hopelink also provides struggling families in King County and the Seattle area with groceries for survival and nutritional education for self-sufficiency. At each of their five centers throughout the King County Washington area, Hopelink has food banks or soup kitchens that offer groceries or meals from every nutritional group, as well as baby items and personal care products to people who need help. Locate a food pantry near you.




  • Eviction Prevention - If you have a home or live in an apartment now, and if you are a family in danger of losing your home or being evicted in a crisis, Hopelink offers an eviction prevention program. The non-profit can help to pay for a portion of the monthly rent needed to prevent eviction.
  • First Month's Rent - When a low or moderate income family establishes a new home or moves into an apartment, even if it is for the first time, Hopelink will offer these people a housing assistance program that can help to pay a portion of the high costs of settling into a new apartment. This will include money for the first months rent and security deposits. Grants are often used, and find other ways to get help with security deposits.
  • Emergency Financial Assistance - In certain cases, Hopelink can even help people with those unexpected and emergency costs which might make the difference between a family going hungry or homeless. Get grant money to stop from losing their utility service, money to fix a vehicle for work or funds to help pay other bills, such as electric or light.
  • Energy Bill Assistance - This is a federal government program, and it is known as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). It assist low income homeowners and renters with paying for their winter heating bills or an AC bill in the summer. The program can also pay for furnace-repair costs. In addition, Puget Sound Energy has the HELP Program (PSE HELP) which help assist low income renters and homeowners with paying for their monthly PSE bills.

This is only a sampling of their programs. Hopelink has several locations throughout the King County Washington and Seattle area, including in Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, and more. Contact them at 425-869-6000.

Solid Ground is another community action organization that offers Seattle and King County residents financial resources and free items. The programs range from emergency housing help as well as transitional or permanent housing for homeless. They also help to stop evictions and/or foreclosures.

  • Solid Ground's Mortgage Counseling Services is offered. This agency offers free foreclosure counseling and advice to King County families. Counselors will review options and solutions that are available to you, and discuss action you may  need to discuss with your lender and they will try to stop the foreclosure. They will also make referrals to government programs as needed.





Contact Solid Ground at 1501 North 45th Street, Seattle, WA 98103-6708, phone number 206.694.6700 Other programs include transitional shelter. Click more information on Solid Ground assistance programs.

Get help from the Central Area Motivation Program / Byrd Barr Place organization. The Seattle based agency operates low-income assistance programs, assists the unemployed, homeless, single mothers and less fortunate.

  • Free Food : The CAMP organizations food bank is open most days, including for drive thru service. In addition, home deliveries are made certain days of the week to homebound individuals living in the following nearby ZIP codes: 98112, 98122, and 98102. There is also Meals on Wheels as well as pet food for seniors in Seattle on social security.
  • Energy Bill Assistance : CAMP also helps Seattle and King County households with home-heating bills through two programs. The first is the federal government funded Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and the second program is for Seattle City Lights. It is possible for applicants to receive cash grants and assistance through in the same program year. Learn more on help with City

Contact the Byrd Barr Place / Central Area Motivation Program organization at (206) 812-4940. They are headquartered at 722 18th Ave, Seattle, WA 98122

Financial assistance in King County and Seattle for utility bills, housing, or food

The Auburn Food Bank offers limited financial assistance to on average a couple dozen families per month. They provide eviction prevention services; funds for paying water, electric and gas bills; or housing resources. There are also vouchers to help pay for prescription medications. A qualified person can only receive help once per year. Dial (253) 833-8925. The address is  930 18th Pl NE, Auburn, WA 98002.

Financial assistance King County WABallard Food Bank (phone (206) 789 - 7800) will help only a couple people per month, and will pay up to $75 towards their rent. There is also free hygiene items clothes for kids or adults, and boxes of food. People in northwest Seattle will most likely receive the help. Click here fore more information on low cost groceries or food. The charity address is 1400 Leary Wy NW, Seattle, WA 98107.

The Black Diamond Community Center runs several assistance programs for local residents only. They provide financial help with paying Puget Sound Energy electric and gas bills during the winter months, January thru April. In addition, they offer assistance up to the last $75 with rent if there is an eviction notice.

  • The BDCC also has a free emergency food and clothing pantry. applications for pet food assistance is available for senior citizens of Black Diamond, donated by the local Humane Society.
  • Gasoline vouchers are available for Black Diamond residents if there is a verifiable medical appointment. They can also be gas or a free bus pass for a job interview.

Clients must call the Black Diamond Community Center in advance for appointments at (360) 886-1011. ThThjeer location is 31605 3rd Ave, Black Diamond, WA 98010.




City of Tukwila offers a one time, lifetime grant for heating bills or rental costs. From time to time emergency electric or water bill help is offered. The office is at 6300 Southcenter Blvd, Tukwila, Washington, 98188, phone (206) 433 - 7180

Kent Food Bank and Emergency Services is a pledge type program. Money can be used in emergencies for paying Puget Sound gas and electric bills. Or get funds to fix an AC unit or heater. There are also eviction prevention (no move-in), and paying water bills. The location is 515 W Harrison St #107, Kent, WA 98032. Call (253) 520-3550

Mercer Island Youth and Family Services will have available emergency financial assistance for basic needs, including utility bills (water, gas, electric and sewer) as well as rent. There is also a food pantry at the Luther Burbank Administration Building on the island with groceries, Ensure for seniors, hot meals for the homeless and more. Telephone (206) 275-7611

Plateau Outreach Ministries - The Samaritan Project/Emergency Assistance offers case management and a homeless shelter. In addition, to those who qualify, there is the possibility of assistance for prescriptions, eviction prevention, money to pay for move-in costs, utilities, and propane costs. Address is 1806 Cole St., Enumclaw, Washington, 98022, dial (360) 825 - 8961

The Catholic Community Services Emergency Assistance program helps families, single adults, seniors, and people with disabilities in King County. The agency can assist with a variety of emergency as well as basic needs.

  • Financial help for low-income families in Seattle includes rental assistance and eviction prevention, move-in assistance, and utility bill assistance. There are also programs for shut-off prevention as well as information and resource referral to other King County resources.
  • The agency can also coordinate short-term case management, free emergency motel vouchers (qualified families or single parents with children under age 18 only), food bags and cards (when available).
  • Transportation can be addressed by bus tickets, and this is based on availability. Or get referrals to a free car program in King County WA for work reasons.

To access their services, please call the intake line for the geographic area for updated information as well as eligibility. There are offices in Seattle,  Burien, Covington, Federal Way, Renton, and SeaTac as well as Bellevue, Redmond, and Kirkland WA. Call (425) 213-1963, or more on Catholic Charities in Seattle.

University District Service League - They provide free food and groceries, including fruit, baby formula, and holiday baskets. The address of the non-profit is 413 NE 50th St. Seattle WA, 98105, and phone number is 206-523-7060. For those that need other funds, they do not offer it. Only food or groceries is offered, but find other rent programs.

Issaquah Church and Community Services covers the Issaquah school district area. Low-income families in the area can apply for emergency financial assistance and grants to help with paying rent or light bills. The address is 180 E Sunset Way, Issaquah, WA 98027. Phone: (425) 837-3125.

Enumclaw Helping Hands offers rent payment help for people facing an eviction in Enumclaw, Washington. There is also free food boxes, a drive thru pantry, and hygiene supplies. The charity is at 1350 Cole St, Enumclaw, WA 98022. Dial (360) 825 - 6188.





Muckleshoot Family Resource Center in Auburn Washington offers emergency financial aid. It can be to pay rent to stop an eviction, to pay phone bills or to prevent a utility disconnection. There are also mortgage relief programs for qualified low-income homeowners. Any support is for Muckleshoot tribal members only. Call (253) 876-3336. The location is 38907 172nd Ave SE, Auburn, WA 98092.

Veterans of Foreign Wars Service Division and the Unmet Needs program is for King County service members facing a crisis. Aid is also for their immediate family members. Cash is provided, or a zero percent interest loan, for rent, mortgage payments, home and car repairs or transportation. Or look here for organizations that give free bus passes.

  • There is also information on free medical insurance, and money for utilities. The organization will also have food, groceries and basic clothing items. 915 2nd Ave VA, Seattle, WA, 98174. Call (866) 789-6333 for details. Proof of hardship and income is required.

American Legion can help veterans in King County if provided enough notice. The organization distributes cash grants to pay for back rent to prevent an eviction, utility or water bills, move in expenses and security deposits. Proof of eviction or homeliness is needed. Food, referrals to medical care, and other support is administered too. The main office is at 915 2nd Ave, Seattle, WA, 98174. Call (206) 341-8262

Wellspring Housing Stabilization Services – Provides coverage in the city of Seattle. Case management, limited financial help, and landlord/tenant mediation as well as advocacy is available. They offer a homeless prevention program and referrals to other charities as well as non-wait list permanent housing units or affordable apartments (including for people with bad credit) in King County. The non-profit is at 1900 Rainier Ave S, Seattle, WA 98144. Call (206) 826-3050

Maple Valley Food Bank and Emergency Services serves the cities of Black Diamond, Covington, Hobart, Maple Valley, Ravensdale, and within the Tahoma School District. The non-profit has afree  food pantry and also provides utility bill assistance, rent help, and other aid.

  • The center is an outreach site for the LIHEAP and PSE Help Energy assistance programs. They also offer Special Programs including School Supply distribution, free Holiday Food, and Children's Christmas Gift Program. This includes free toys, trees or decorations and ornaments. They also provide eviction prevention and move-in assistance, at most once every two years. Dial (425) 432 - 8139.

People who live in South King County, including Kent, Seatac, Renton, and Tukwila Washington can contact the Multi-Service Center at (253) 893 - 0024. They provide cash grants for rent and emergency expenses. They also work with the City of Renton on resources. A number of other services are available from MSC.

  • The agency provides employment services, including classes for GED testing and job placement. There is also free Internet access or Chromebooks or free laptops for the low-income.
  • The center also operates subsidized housing and will be able to referral clients to security deposit programs for the move in costs on a new apartment.

Other programs from MSC in King County include clothing, free food from pantries, shelters, and more. Read South King County Multi-Service Center programs.







Friends of Youth only supports East and North King County. Applicants need to be single and under the age of 25 or families with children, including single moms or fathers in Seattle. All of the financial aid is limited and paid out on a case by case basis.

  • When there is funding, they try to stop homelessness of that target groups. There will be Foreclosure and Mortgage Assistance from counselors as part of case management. Staff work closely with homeowners who are behind on their mortgage to help them avoid foreclosure.
  • Mortgage counselors will offer information on the foreclosure process. In addition, they can provide one-to-one assistance to secure community resources, negotiate with lenders for repayment strategies, and help the homeowner develop a household budget.
  • Friends of Youth has very limited, case by case free grants for housing and rental help. A Housing Stability program can provide renters and homeowners with one-time loans and/or cash grants. This funding is for tenants and homeowners who are in danger of being evicted or who are facing a foreclosure due to short-term financial difficulties.
  • In addition, it also provides grants and loans to homeless individuals and families who need assistance moving to permanent housing, including income based apartments. So first months rent, connection fees or a deposit will be offered for qualified for partial payment. There is also limited assistance for other types of moves. 

All of this is known as Best Starts for Kids Homelessness Prevention, and the charity is at 13116 NE 132nd St, Kirkland, WA, 98034. Call (425) 553-6139 or (425) 869-6490.

There are, from time to time, programs that offer transportation in Seattle. One example is Working Wheels. This is a service that sells affordable, quality used cars to eligible job seekers and workers who are having transportation challenges that is putting them at risk of losing a job. In addition, it can support those low income families if a lack of transportation is making it difficult to accept a new job opportunity. More on Ways to Work cars for employment.

University Churches Emergency Fund. This Seattle charity organization, which can be reached at (206)524-7885, is able to provide financial assistance, grants, and social services to people in need residing in Northeast Seattle. The center can also help the homeless. Also provides eviction protection to keep individuals and families from being evicted. Can help people move into cheap, quality housing. The address is 515 16th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98105.

Cancer Lifeline offers limited financial assistance to cancer patients, no matter their diagnosis. They also provide general emotional support. Medical supplies and basic living needs such as unpaid rent will be able to qualify for assistance. There are free bus passes or volunteer transportation services, information on Medicaid or SSI as well as other support. The non-profit is at 6522 Fremont Ave N, Seattle, WA 98103, or dial (800) 255-5505

King County Jewish Family Service can assist the less fortunate and seniors. Some resources are for the general population and others are just for the Jewish faith. Some of the assistance includes free vouchers for the homeless to pay for lodging or limited emergency financial aid for other low income families. A Supported Living Program is for Seattle Washington individuals with a disability and the elderly can look into home delivered meals. Other help is available too, and learn more Jewish Family Service of Seattle.

Federal Way Community Caregiving Network runs many programs. The center provides limited bus tickets when available as well as emergency rent and move in assistance. They will also have motel vouchers for one to two nights during extreme emergencies, including at Motel 6 or Travel Inns in Seattle. Information and referral to other community resources in King County is available too. Dial (253) 661 - 0505




InterIm CDA and their Homelessness Prevention program is for immigrants and refugees living in the city of Seattle. Assistance is offered to those who are at imminent risk of being evicted or foreclosed on, with applications in Spanish too. The agency will try to help them secure stable housing and prevent homelessness.  Location is 310 Maynard Ave S, Seattle, WA 98104, dial (206) 623-5132

United Way of Seattle - King County provides a number of social services. The main address is 720 2nd Ave, Seattle, WA 98104. Get referrals, or help with homelessness or rehousing. There is free income tax filing help (VITA) as well as information on scholarships. Or get help with basic needs such as medical, financial, household stuff and more. Call (206) 461-3700, or more on United Way services in King County.

Water and sewer bills discounts and payment plans - Whether you need help with paying your water, sewer, or trash bills, some programs may be available to help. Qualified customers can save money from a monthly discount, or receive direct cash assistance. Learn more water bill help in Seattle

  • Utility discounts – Most companies offer this to low income seniors over the age of 60 or so. There also tends to be support for adults with documented disabilities, including an energy audit of their home. Call your utility or gas company to inquire into a reduced rate. Read more on free energy audits from utility programs.

Tanks by Dallas is a charity organization that may occasionally be able to deliver free home heating oil to the working poor or less fortunate. Note the resources are limited and there is usually a waiting list in place. The address is 20340 14th Avenue Northeast, Shoreline, WA 98155. Phone: (206) 365-0291.

The state of Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission provides information and referrals. They can answer customer questions on the Washington state utility disconnection moratorium, provide referrals to programs such as weatherization, and other support. Payment plans may also be required in some cases. Learn about the laws and your rights as to utility matters. Call (888) 333-9882

HELPLINES - As noted above, there are a few of these located across King County. Each relies on donations and volunteers, and the services assist struggling families. There may be linkage to food pantries or grants for paying certain bills, or applications to benefits such as SSDI. Callers tend to be the unemployed or vulnerable, such as single parents or senior citizens living on a fixed income. Continue Reading on Helpline Services in Seattle.

  • North Helpline – If you have a disconnection notice, this non-profit may be able to help those residents of ZIP codes in King County of 98115, 98125, 98133, 98155, 98177. Address: 12736 33rd Ave NE, Seattle, WA, 98125 Phone number of center is (206) 365-8043
  • West Seattle Helpline – An Emergency Assistance program is run. It may be able to offer limited financial assistance for paying for utilities (excluding telephone), bus tickets, and heating fuel for West Seattle working families. Office is at 6516 35th Ave SW Suite 204, Seattle, Washington, 98126 Phone - (206) 932-4357
  • Neighborhood House Helpline provides up to $75 to people. The money can be used for paying utility bills, rent, and heating costs. Dial (206) 767 - 7124.
  • Queen Anne Helpline only has resources for Magnolia and Queen Anne residents. Free groceries, hygiene supplies, financial help for bills and other stuff is be offered. Address is 311 W McGraw St, Seattle, WA, 98119, call (206) 282-1540.

Bellevue LifeSpring – If you have an eviction notice, or utility disconnection, this organization may be able to offer emergency assistance towards paying rent and utilities. Hardship funds are for the low-income, people with no money and elderly among others. Utilities bill assistance includes water, electricity and gas. Residents can usually apply at most once every 3 years. Call (425) 451 – 1175

Each town or city in the King County Washington region has an emergency assistance program in place. Funds may be offered to help pay rent (if you have an eviction notice and may be homeless) or money can pay utility bills if faced with a disconnection. There are also free groceries boxes, feminine products, applications to government benefits in Washington state and more.

  • City of Bellevue, Address: 450 110th Ave NE, Bellevue, WA, 98004 Telephone:(425) 452-5285
  • City of Bellevue – Auburn is located at 25 W Main St, Auburn, WA, 98001 Dial for help (253) 931-3000
  • DSHS Federal Way. Address is 616 S 348th St, Federal Way, WA, 9800, telephone (877) 501-2233
  • City of Issaquah, Office address: 130 E Sunset Way, Issaquah, Washington, 98027 Telephone: (425) 392-2381
  • City of Kirkland, address: 123 5th Ave Kirkland City Hall, Kirkland, WA, 98033 Phone:(425) 587-3150
  • City of Redmond. The main office is at 15670 NE 85th St, Redmond, Washington, 98052. Dial the center at (425) 556-2152




City of Seattle - Human Services Department - Mayor's Office for Senior Citizens offers a discount on utility bills to seniors and people with disabilities. There is also information on cash assistance for the low-income, SNAP benefits, homecare and other aid. Address is 810 3rd Ave Suite 350, Seattle, Washington, 98104 Phone:(206) 684-0268

  • Seattle Human Services offers other hardship funds. The office helps low income, working poor, single moms in King County WA and homeless. Applicants of the center may be able to get help with free food, housing, slightly used or new clothing and transportation. There is also dental, medical and mental health care services, including for the uninsured.

Way Back Inn – If you live in Renton or Tukwila, you can apply for rent or energy bill assistance. Call (206) 682-7382. There is also transitional housing or one time rent help from the charity in Renton, WA 98057.

Kent United Methodist Church – Focuses only on people in the Kent School District. Apply for eviction prevention assistance, help with paying energy/water bill shut-offs, and aid is for residents who are seniors, or who have disabilities. Address- 11010 SE 248th St, Kent, Washington, 98030. Dial (253) 852-3900.

Seattle/King County Area Agency on Aging and Disability Services provides assistance to senior citizens and the disabled of any age. Some of the direct programs administered include government employment from SCSEP, transportation and free meals. They also help seniors over the age of 60 apply for free government money.

  • Many other referrals are provided, including information on free prescription medications, government benefits, legal assistance and health screening.
  • Free or low cost home repairs are offered. Low-income seniors, retirees, the the homebound can apply for a fix to a roof, plumbing, windows and more. Learn more on senior roof repair for free.

Location is 700 5th Ave # 5800, Seattle, Washington 98104, call (206) 684-0660. More senior assistance programs in Washington.

Government Programs and Human Services - The King County DCHS is focused on helping individuals gain self-sufficiency. So residents of Seattle and the county can receive short term emergency cash assistance, such as TANF, as well as food and medical care. At the same time they will be signed up for job training and employment programs and services. More details on King County Washington public assistance.

  • DSHS - Community Services Offices - Low-income families, unemployed, refugees, pregnant women and people with temporary disabilities can apply for financial assistance. Programs offered include TANF/WorkFirst, AREN, Disability Lifeline, SNAP Food Stamps, Diversion Cash Assistance, Section 8 HUD housing vouchers and Refugee Assistance. Call (877) 501-2233
  • King County Department of Community and Human Services - Veterans' Program. Assistance is only offered for veterans. Get access to free food, shelter, groceries, utilities, assistance for heating bills, eviction prevention, employment related expenses, move-in costs, medical, gas and prescriptions. Even hotel and motel vouchers may be offered. Address - 123 3rd Ave S Walthew Building, Suite 300, Seattle, WA, 98104 Dial (206) 296-7656

Centerstone of Seattle provides a number of services in the region. In fact, this non-profit may have one of the most extensive number of resources available for financial aid, referrals, free food, and housing. Some of the programs are funded and administered by Centerstone, and others are offered by referrals.

  • Low income housing is one that is available with partners such as Seattle Housing Authority and Plymouth Housing Group.
  • Eviction prevention and utility service disconnection grants may be offered, including PSE Help, weatherization, and emergency rent help from loans of other funding sources.
  • A pantry may have free food or applications for benefits such as SNAP or WIC
  • Other aid and low income programs are offered by the organization. Find more financial resources from Centerstone.

Society of Saint Vincent de Paul - Council of Seattle Area. Limited financial support available for paying heating bills and utilities. Several other resources are available for poor, unemployed, and other qualified King County residents. They include self-sufficiency programs, such as housing and employment assistance. Or get free furniture, appliances, or shop at the Seattle thrift store.

  • Basic health care and medications may be offered. Or even qualify for basic needs such as clothing, food, gasoline vouchers and more. Referrals are offered to state and federal government public aid too. Dial (206) 767-6449, or read St. Vincent Seattle assistance programs.

Shoreline Community Care may be able to help. Note that any grants will be sent directly to the landlord or utility company. Volunteers and churches in King County also participate. In-person interviews and follow-up also take place. The charity may be able to help with utilities, rent, and food. Call (206) 496-3116, or the address is Address is 16311 Linden Ave N, Shoreline, WA 98133.

Tolt Congregational United Church of Christ issues vouchers for food, rent, utilities, prescription medications and gasoline for Snoqualmie Valley residents only. Most of this is done from the Good Neighbor Fund. Address is 4851 Tolt Ave, Carnation, Washington, 98014, telephone (425) 333-4254

Vashon Youth & Family Serviceshas an eviction prevention program/rent help. They also offer motel vouchers as well as short term housing program. Dial (206) 463-5511. The address is 21730 Dorre Don Way SE, Maple Valley, WA 98038.

Vine Maple Place and the Stable Families Program offers case management, stabilization and general financial assistance for low-income single-parent families in imminent danger of eviction. Telephone - (425) 432-2119







YWCA of Seattle/King County - The non-profit offers housing crisis solutions. They offer referrals, financial aid for rental costs and case management to families facing eviction Holly Park Project may offer help as a last resort for people that have exhausted all resources elsewhere.

  • Work with a staff member from the organization to develop and implement goals that will lead to economic self-sufficiency and get assistance in maintaining a permanent residence, even including a section 8 luxury apartment in Seattle. Learn more on luxury income based apartments.
  • Also workshops can help improve parenting, personal and professional skills.

There are multiple sites. The main number is (206) 209-5677 and address is 3800 S Myrtle St, Seattle, WA 98118.

St. Luke's Operation Blessing – Apply for help up to twice per year. The church organization provides assistance with paying a partial mortgage payments. Or get money for rent (eviction prevention and move-in expenses), home repair payments and energy bills, such as gas, electricity and water. Help is offered when in emergencies only. Address - 515 S 312th St, Federal Way, Washington, 98003 Call 253-941-3000.

El Centro De La Raza focuses on the low income and immigrants. Several emergency assistance programs may be available to the public. They offer crisis aid for those facing a hardship, and this can include funds for housing, rent or eviction prevention.

  • Free legal Clinics can offer low cost, or maybe free advice in Seattle.
  • Information on using technology, such as apps on a smart phone, to save money, get cash back, and build financial literacy, even from saving on groceries. Learn how to use free grocery shopping apps.
  • Long term support, including tips o n how to budget, save money, and even invest for the future.
  • Mortgage and debt help is arranged in King County. In addition to providing foreclosure prevention and assistance, they also help people deal with debt and repair credit. Or get help with car loans, filing bankruptcy, and locating apartments for people with past evictions or bad credit.

Several other resources may be offered in King County from El Centro such as free income tax assistance food pantries, employment assistance, and career counseling. Read El Centro De La Raza programs.

Volunteers of America Western Washington - The national non-profit covers all of the county. Examples of programs include free gasoline vouchers for work reasons or free food from a pantry. The disabled may get help from VOA Supported Living Program. There is also loans or funds to pay rent from VOA homeless prevention and other aid, such as dental care. Continue with VOA in western Washington.

Share & Care House focuses on addressing the lack of affordable housing and also homeless prevention services. The King County non-profit can help families apply for government grants for housing (electric bills or rent). They administer self-sufficiency through Independent Families, and even operate transitional housing such as Independence House. Find more details on Share and Care House assistance.

Randolph Carter Family Center administers several programs for the working poor, unemployed and low income. They include utility bill assistance, rent, security deposit, and move-in cost assistance. Other services include free food, meals, bus tickets, and vouchers for motels. Seattle, WA, 98144, main phone number is (206) 328 - 5724.

Local churches in King County and Seattle help the poor. There is assistance for many needs, including funds for bills, gas vouchers, overnight shelter and more. Counseling can also be arranged by a church to get people back on track. Recipients may be immigrants, the underemployed, and homeless among others. More on King County church assistance programs.

Rapid rehousing and grants to stop homelessness are available to deal with a crisis. Tenants that are struggling, or families living in or near poverty can receive financial help. There are also housing programs for single moms and homes with children that live there.

  • Based on HUD allotments, the qualified applicant in King County can receive emergency money for paying their rent. If the eviction is caused by unpaid water or electric bills, then help may be provided for those expenses too. More on homeless prevention in Seattle and King County.





Seattle Milk Fund - Free vouchers are offered for shoes or winter boots to kids. There are grants for child care available for low income families and college students, food, and more. Phone number is 206-526-7944

Agencies that offer emergency rental assistance. While a number of resources are listed above, there are other places to turn to for help. For example, King County charities, churches, and non-profits may offer applications to government grants for paying a security deposit or housing costs. Contact them for grants, advice, free lawyers for tenants and general housing counseling. Find additional agencies that focus on rental assistance in Seattle. .

  • Short term housing, including free shelters and homeless prevention services, are widely available in King County. Non-profits and government agencies will help families facing eviction locate and pay for new, permanent housing. Also provided will be programs such as case management, job training, food, and other basic needs and financial aid. Click more details on transitional housing in King County and Seattle.

King County and City of Seattle Salvation Army programs help struggling low-income families, people with addictions or ex-felons as well. The low income, poor, under or unemployed and others can get help. The Salvation Army has several offices and so called “corps” located throughout King County and Seattle. They operate the Eastside Corps, a location in Seattle, White Center, Renton and Federal Way as well as other sites. In most years the organization helps tens of thousands of people, including kids, elderly, and working poor.

  • They offer several financial resources programs for people to pay the bills, including grants and funds for bills that low-income families need help with. Financial aid provided to pay for rent, food, partial mortgage payments, clothing and utility bill payments. They also offer emergency shelter, transitional housing for battered women and their children, and various other social services.
  • Or the Angel Tree gives free Christmas gifts and free school items are offered for students in King County. In addition, if the Salvation Army can’t help your particular situation, they can refer you to other local agencies and charities.

Contact them at (206) 587-0503 or (206) 217-1274 to learn about these programs or others that they offer. Or click here for additional information on phone numbers for the King County Salvation Army centers.

Free lawyers and legal assistance in Seattle is available. Several pro-bono firms, volunteer lawyers and staff help the low-income. In person consults and phone hotlines are set up for free legal services in King County.

  • The Washington State Bar Association offers free legal help to people who can’t afford an attorney. Among other services, clients can receive free legal services to help stop a foreclosure, eviction prevention advice, and legal advice for a variety of civil issues. Click here to learn more, or call an attorney at 1-877-894-4663, or read more on free lawyers in Washington.
  • Neighborhood Legal Clinics (NLC) provides a free 30-minute consultation. Lower income King County Washington residents can get legal advice as well as information that may be needed for referrals. There are dozens clinics in the city of Seattle and County. Any low income family can get free advice from NLC, regardless of income, race, education, age, language or disability. The phone number is (206) 267-7070.
  • Bar Association of King County provides both seniors and low income families with free legal support or representation. Some of what may be arranged is advice for tenants facing eviction or households having their utilities shit off. Help may also be arranged for individuals applying for benefits such as disability. Other legal aid in Seattle includes Kinship Care, assistance with dent collectors, and more. Learn how to get legal aid from King County Bar Association.
  • Washington Legal Aid - A free foreclosure hotline was established for King County and the entire state. Learn more on Washington foreclosure legal line.

Free Health Care is offered. Some non-profits, such as Hopelink, can offer referrals as well as locations of health and dental clinics in the area. They assist adults, children, immigrants, and those in need of care. These locations can offer free or low cost medical care to the low income and/or uninsured. Read more and find locations of King County free community clinics.




Places for free stuff for low-income families in the Seattle area

Free basic needs in Seattle including clothing may be distributed to low income families at little or no cost. Clothing distribution centers and free furniture banks, which rely on donations, may pass out free winter coats, shoes, baby supplies, offer birthday assistance and more. There are also back to school supply distribution events. Many children, job seekers, and others who are struggling in King County are the main beneficiaries. Click more details on free clothes, furniture and School supplies in King County.

Free school items educational materials, school supplies, uniforms, and items for children are generally given away during the summer and early fall months. These back to school programs are offered by many local and regional charities in the region. Kids from K to college from low-income families in King County WA can get help. More on Seattle and King County free school supplies.

Free holiday assistance programs can help the needy at Easter, Thanksgiving, or Christmas. Families, seniors, and children may receive free gifts, toys, gifts, and meals. Numerous King County non-profits will assist residents that need help around the holidays. More on Free holiday and Christmas help in King County.

Free or low cost furniture for a home or apartment may be available in King County. It is costly enough to live in the city and county. Household supplies, beds, couches, and the like just add to the cost. Find how to get free furniture.

New parents, whether they are married or single moms or dads, can get free diapers, infant formula, and supplies. There are income restrictions in place, and some of the agencies will even help in an emergency. These are mostly donation run services, so resources are limited. Find free baby supplies and diapers in King County.

Free food assistance in King County

Just a sampling of the agencies that provide those in need with food and other supplies include. There are groceries, free holiday means (Thanksgiving or Christmas), and more. Or get free hygiene supplies, toilet paper, and other stuff. Or also learn about DSHS Basic Food benefits.

  • Raging River Church / Adra P. Berry Food Bank - Operates a food pantry for anyone in need. 31104 SE 86th St, Issaquah, WA 98027. Dial (425) 222-5573
  • Eastside Love INC - In the Name of Christ - Church Services Network. Food for East and North King County residents. Referrals are offered to Food, diapers, baby supplies and food. Call (425) 869-9561
  • FamilyWorks - Baby formula, diapers, and food for anyone who is needy. Covers Seattle. Phone (206) 694-6723
  • Food Bank @ St. Mary's - (206) 324-7100
  • Immanuel Community Services - Call (206) 622-1930. A emergency pantry is at 215 Thomas St, Seattle, WA 98109.

There are many more places for free food, household supplies and related items. A more extensive listing of King County and Seattle and King County free food pantries is available too.

Mortgage or debt relief in Seattle WA or home buying services

King County Washington homeowners who may be facing a foreclosure can get help from the following HUD approved agencies. Or get assistance in buying a pricey home in the region. Or find an extensive listing of ways to get mortgage help.

American Consumer Credit Counseling, Inc (phone ((206) 839-8535) can provide qualified individuals with both foreclosure assistance and information on home loan modifications. Provides free foreclosure counseling to Washington residents. Explore loan modifications, deed in lieu, and other solutions.

  • The non-profit has other free credit counseling services. There are programs that can help people deal with outstanding medical and credit card debts, including hardship programs or forgiveness. They offer a host of debt reduction programs, and can also refer people to free national credit counseling agencies.

Non-profit debt and foreclosure organizations - Residents of King County can also call a non-profit organization for help in reducing their debts, paying bills, and avoiding a foreclosure. Several organizations offer these services around the region. Locate more Seattle credit counseling agencies that also support individuals across the county.

City of Seattle

If you live in the city area, find assistance programs that are specific to the city of Seattle. Click here to find services, resources, and other aid.


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara

Contact NeedHelpPayingBills


















Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site