latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Rent assistance in Seattle and King County.

Find organizations that will offer rental assistance in Seattle and King County Washington. Several different government programs, charities, churches, and non-profit agencies focus on dealing with housing issues that low-income families may be facing. Get emergency help with rent, housing vouchers or funds to help pay security deposits as well as free legal advice on stopping evictions, or hotel vouchers. Locate King County WA rental assistance programs near you below.

The leading charities in Seattle and government agencies that help with rent or offer housing, free motel vouchers and moving deposit help today are noted below. As with most financial assistance programs, funding is limited, and many programs have waiting lists, such as the section 8 housing voucher program. However there are no-wait list apartments for rent as well in Seattle and King County. Or look here for apartments that accept section 8 vouchers.

It is always advised to call an organization early. Low-income families, single moms, seniors or the disabled need to apply for rent assistance before an eviction notice is sent. Or get free advice on dealing with a landlord or applying for housing vouchers.

Places to get help with rent in Seattle WA and King County

Catholic Community Services offers King County residents emergency assistance. At most once per year, the non-profit provides move-in cost assistance, eviction prevention, emergency rent help and limited free motel or shelter vouchers.

There are a few locations in the region. Some of the requests for financial assistance may be addressed by the charity issuing loans for paying those rent or housing costs. Other social services and referrals are available too. Call (206) 323-6336 for more information, even help with finding affordable housing that does not have a wait list.

  • The South King County Catholic Charities is at 1229 W. Smith Street, Kent, WA 98032. Call (253) 854-0077.
  • Another Location is 100 23rd Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98144. Call 206-328-5755

University Churches Emergency Fund will offer emergency assistance up to once per year. Income limitations are in place. Call the program to get emergency financial assistance and referrals to non-profits. Aid is limited to $50 to $75 once in a 12-month period.  16th Ave NE in Seattle, dial 206-524-7885.




St. Vincent de Paul of King County
Main office is 5972 4th Ave S, but there are other church locations in King County. Seattle, WA 98108. Phone: 206-767-6449

Focus on the low income, women, single moms, immigrants, and working poor. Shelter, transitional housing, one time rent help, legal for housing discrimination, bus passes and other support is arranged. They offer emergency rent, deposit, and utility help through local chapters. More on King County Washington St. Vincent housing assistance.

Jewish Family Service. Regardless of religion, this agency may offer rent assistance. Dial 206-461-3240. They are located at 1601 16th Ave., Seattle 98122. Get referrals, including emergency financial assistance. Programs offered can help cover and pay for refundable security deposits for families and individuals with children who were previously homeless in King County. Keep in mind that limited housing, rent and shelter funds are available. However shelter vouchers, including motel and hotel, are available as well.

Salvation Army has multiple locations in King County. The charity organization can provide emergency rent assistance for those low income individuals and families who have eviction notice. A counselor can also assist with move ins. Also food and limited utility bill assistance is offered. This is in addition to all rental programs.

  • One is at 9501 Greenwood N Ave, Seattle, Washington 98103 (phone (206) 783-1225).
  • There is also a rent program and homeless shelter at Pike Street in Seattle (206-447-9944).
  • White Center Corps is at 9050 16th SW Ave, Seattle, WA 98106. Call (206) 767-3150. Eviction help, including emergency funds for back rent, is offered for verifiable crisis.

Hopelink only covers north and east King County (not the city of Seattle). They are non-profit that helps renters and struggling families. There may be funds or loans may be issued for paying rent, move in costs, or security deposits. Low income families, seniors, and disabled may all benefit. Some of the locations are Bellevue (dial (425) 943-7555), Kirkland (call (425) 943-7555), Redmond (phone (425) 882-0241), Carnation (Call 425-333-4163 or (425) 882-0241) and other spots.





Mercer Island Youth and Family Services only supports residents of the island from 2040 84th SE Ave, Mercer Island, WA 98040. Financial aid may be offered for everything from rent to a deposit or water/electric bills. They also have food and other programs - in addition to the rent help. Call (206) 275-7611.

Sound Generations (Senior Services) - For seniors over 60 years old, the center can provide information, resources and assistance about a range of services for those who need help. Call them for information on resources and support, including one time rent help as well as assistance with applying for federal and state subsidies. Dial (206) 448 - 3110.

Washington State Department Of Social And Health Services Office has multiple offices in King County. Programs include Housing and Essential Needs (HEN), emergency help with rent to stop homelessness, as well as TANF cash aid. There are also free motel vouchers, disability grants, Additional Requirements for Emergent Needs (AREN) for mortgages, utilities or rent payments,  and more. Call (877) 501-2233.

  • 805 156th NE Ave, Bellevue, WA 98007
  • Capitol Hill Emergency services are from 1700 E. Cherry St., Seattle, Washington 98122.
  • King County North Social Service office - 9600 College Way North, Seattle, WA 98103.
  • White Center - 9650 15th Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98106
  • Auburn Social Services and Housing - 810 28th St. N.E., Auburn, Washington 98002
  • King County Eastside, 805 156th Ave NE N40-1, Bellevue, WA 98007
  • Renton low income families, 500 SW 7th St., Renton, Washington 98057
  • Ranier, 3600 S. Graham St., Seattle, WA 98118.

Very limited eviction help may be offered from All Seattle Kids Home. It is for residents with kids under the age of 25, including single moms or dads, immigrants, and low income. Grants for rent, case management, and more may be provided. Phone - 206-488-2692.

Tolt Congregational United Church of Christ
4851 Tolt Avenue, Carnation, WA 98014. Call 425-333-4254.
Small dollar amounts of rent or other financial assistance may be offered from the Good Neighbor Fund, at most twice per year.




Vine Maple Place
Only people local to the region can use the center at 21730 Dorre Don Way Southeast, Maple Valley, WA 98038. Call 425-432-2119
Single moms (or dads) may get rent help, budgeting or life skills classes, legal aid, and other advice. Also pregnant women can get emergency rental or security deposit grants.

Shoreline Community Care
16311 Linden N Ave, Shoreline, WA 98133. Phone (206) 496-3116
Security deposit or utility connection fees, first months rent, and other moving expenses may be paid from the Christian, faith based charity.

Central Area Motivation Program. While this focuses on energy and heating assistance, they may be a place to call to get information on rent and housing programs too. Funds are limited and focused on Seattle's Central District. Dial 206-812-4940

North Helpline, Address - 12736 33rd Avenue Northeast, Phone (206) 365-8043 or 206-367-3477. A limited area of Seattle and King County Washington is covered, including ZIP codes of 98115, 98125, 98133, 98155, and 98177. The non-profit can offer emergency assistance, including rent assistance, eviction prevention funds and advice, help for move-in costs, assistance with preventing utility shut-offs, and referrals to community services and local charities. Hours of the site are limited.

Eviction assistance and homeless prevention can assist with housing costs such as rent or energy bills. One major benefit to the King County program is it provides other support services to tenants, and this includes free legal advice or representation in housing court. Financial help for rental expenses as well as rehousing is combined with other aid. More on King County eviction and rehousing help.

West Seattle Helpline, located on 6516 35th Ave SW #204, Seattle, WA 98126, provides limited emergency rent assistance to prevent eviction from homes and apartments. (206) 932 - 4357

Helping Hands Ministry
Location is 39051 Southeast Park Street, Snoqualmie, Washington 98065. Call 425-888-0096.
Direct financial help for rent payments, moving or storage costs, utility connections, and even food.







Multi-Service Center
Most of the support is around employment, budgeting, and training. However housing stability from the center may be able to provide some funds for rent or safe housing.

  • Main Office, 1200 S 336th St, Federal Way, WA 98003. Call (253) 838-6810
  • 515 W. Harrison Street, Kent, Washington 98032. Telephone (253) 854-4406

Solid Ground Landlord/Tenant Counseling. Dial 206-694-6767. Some limited one time rental assistance is offered. However more extensive is free eviction counseling, and basically free advice for those who receive eviction notices. Also get advice and support including information on tenants' rights and responsibilities. Continue with Solid Ground housing assistance programs.

King County Department of Community and Human Services
They offer a number of government and social services, including free grant money from the King County Eviction Prevention and Rent Assistance Program. Homeless prevention, including emergency rental assistance, energy, or mortgage help along with youth services or housing programs for single moms. Low-income housing with no wait list can be coordinated too.

There is free government grant money is for rent, storage or moving costs, or an application fee. Or get information on low income apartments, government grants for security or utility deposits and more. Any financial assistance for rental arrears or other bills is coordinated with local community organizations.

  • 420 4th Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98104, dial 206-263-3481
  • Human Services Department - Seattle, Address is 700 Fifth Avenue, Seattle, Washington 98124. Call (206) 386-1001

King County Housing Authority, Section 8 Office is located in Seattle. Call the office at (206) 574-1100 or 206-214-1300. The office provides services to King County outside of the city limits of Seattle and Renton Washington. Section 8 housing vouchers in effect offer subsidies for rental housing for low income, elderly, disabled, working poor and families. There is a lengthy waiting list, but the elderly and disabled may gey priority, emergency section 8 vouchers.

King County Veterans Program
One time rent, mortgage, or housing payment assistance is offered to veterans and/or their families. They also help pay for identification, storage unit fees, deposits and more. This is all part of the veterans stability plan around housing, employment, VA benefits and long term financial stability, and rent help is one part of it.

  • Location is 645 Andover Park West, Tukwila, WA 98188. Call 206-477-7022
  • Another site is at 9725 3rd Avenue Northeast, Seattle, Washington 98115. For information, dial 206-477-8282.





Another government office to try to call for help is the Seattle Housing Authority. Phone 206-239-1500. While they do not offer an emergency rent assistance fund, they can facilitate rental housing for low-income families, disabled/ elderly/ handicapped individuals, including additional section 8.

Tenants of Covington, Diamond, Maple Valley or of the Tahoma School District with an eviction notice can get help from the Maple Valley Emergency Services. Small dollar amounts of emergency rental assistance can be provided from 21415 Renton Maple Valley Rd Maple Valley Washington, 98038. Call (425) 432-8139 or 425-432-8633.

Chief Seattle Club
Address is 410 2nd Avenue Extension South, Seattle, Washington 98104. Call 206-965-1288 or (206) 715-7536
They only help Native Americans. Whether money for rent to stop evictions or utility bill help, case managers assist with housing needs. They also help locate low-cost, affordable homes or apartments.Rental assistance Seattle and King County

Black Diamond Community Center
Location is 31605 3rd Avenue, Black Diamond, WA 98010. Call 360-886-1011
The non-profit will only offer help to residents of the town, including for rent, mortgages, or applications to the Warm Home Fund.

Best Starts for Kids at Interim CDA helps single moms or parents under the age of 24 only. Limited, one off rent and homeless prevention programs may be offered in the form of hardship grants. The address is 601 South King Street, Seattle, Washington 98104. Any housing resources are on a case by case basis. Call 206-623-5132.

Kent United Methodist Church
They only help residents of the school district. When facing homelessness, rent, mortgage, or even water bill help is offered. There is also referrals to furniture and short term housing or shelter. Location is 11010 SE 248th St Kent WA, 98030, or for applications call 253-852-0993.

Neighborhood House Helpline - Low income residents of the City of Seattle can apply for assistance with eviction prevention funds. Call 206-825-2581 on the first Monday of the month.

Wellspring Family Services Housing Services, which is located on 1900 Rainier Ave. S, Seattle, Washington 98144 (phone number (206) 826-3050) offers programs including eviction prevention and rental assistance. Among other housing programs and services, the agency provides limited financial assistance and cash grants for low-income (50% or less of HUD income guidelines) and working poor individuals and families. In addition, speak to a counselor about housing stability services, advocacy, and eviction prevention programs.

Genesee Building - Neighborhood House
Location is 4431 MLK Jr Way S, Seattle WA, 98108. Telephone number is 206-923-6604
Families or individuals in imminent risk of homelessness (eviction, foreclosure, utility shut off) can get emergency financial aid. Funds help King County residents with rent, storage costs, security deposits, and other bills.

Y Social Impact Center
Non-profit address - 2100 24th Avenue South, Seattle, Washington 98144. Call 206-382-5345
There is the Homelessness Prevention Program called YFHPI. People facing evictions or foreclosures, or the currently homeless, can get help. Funds for rent, free housing retention services, supportive apartments and homes and more.




City of Mercer Island
Address is 9611 SE 36th Street, Mercer Island, WA 98040. Dial (206) 275-7869.
The Emergency Assistance Fund may help pay rent, food, or utility needs. Funding, especially for high priced rental units, is limited.

Northwest Hope and Healing Foundation, is only for women with breast cancer. The non-profit, based in Seattle, can be contacted for rental assistance. Phone number is (206) 455-2710.

Free legal aid for tenants facing eviction in King County

Several pro-bone law firms as well as volunteer attorneys help low income tenants. They assist with housing discrimination, can help mediate disputes or rent payment plans, represent people being evicted in housing court and provide other free legal assistance. There is also outreach and free legal assistance for low-income families who lose a rent subsidy from section 8.

Housing Justice Project (HJP). Phone 206-267-7090. The Seattle Washington pro-bono law firm can offer free legal help to qualified elderly, low-income, and disabled tenants who are facing eviction but who need an attorney. The low-income and elderly in King County can meet with a lawyer for free.

Some of the legal services offered, all for free, include legal advice, information and educational materials about the eviction process; referrals; and direct landlord/tenant negotiations. While not as common, there may also be free legal representation available with an attorney at eviction hearings.

Legal Action Center - Low income residents in King County can get free advice and support in dealing with unnecessary or illegal evictions. They work on solving disputes over security deposits, section 8 subsidy terminations, and address other rent or landlord-tenant disputes. Call (206) 324-6890. Address is 100 23rd Ave S, Seattle, WA 98144.

Housing Justice Project - Attorneys will offer free legal advice to prevent evictions. All resources are limited and offered on a walk in basis. Access mediation, get help in resolving rent payment disputes, and other housing matters, including repairs or discrimination.

  • Kent Washington, dial (206) 267-7090
  • Seattle Washington, call (206) 267-7090


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara

Contact NeedHelpPayingBills


















Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site