Horry County assistance programs.
Senior citizens, retirees, and low income families are the main beneficiaries of the financial assistance in Horry County. Churches and charities provide help with rental or mortgage payments, a free box of food, as well as dental or medical care. There is also prescription drug vouchers, grants for mortgages as well as foreclosure counseling and other social services in the community.
Get help with bills in Myrtle Beach and Horry County
The North Strand Helping Hand (NSHH) is an organization that provides a variety of relief programs. They have held a mass food distribution in Atlantic Beach, and they provide food assistance to anyone who needs assistance. In addition they provide household linens and other services are available.
They may also be able to aid with a variety of other financial requests. The recently unemployed often have a need for rent money, food aid, utility bill help, and more. The North Strand Helping Hand (NSHH) may be able to support them.
Some of the money is provided directly to the families landlord or utility company. For example, this past month over $7,000 was issued in cash vouchers to Grand Strand Water and Sewer, Santee Cooper, landlords, Horry Electrical Cooperative, and similar essential support elements and companies. The NSHH may be able to provide you with aid, or at least direct you, so you can find help. Call them at (843) 399-0862.
Rent assistance programs
Horry County has received almost $1 million from the federal government stimulus program. The money that is being provided to Horry County, which is a part of a government grant that is provided through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, is being given out to families through the Myrtle Beach and Conway Housing Authorities, and the funds will provide residents help paying with their rent, energy bills, and prevent evictions.
To be eligible for this assistance program, a household's total income needs to be at or below 50 percent of the area's median income and the household must be at risk of losing its housing or they need to be currently homeless. The housing assistance program will not help pay for a mortgage but it can help pay for any type of housing assistance, including rent, utilities, security deposits, and more.
Contact the Myrtle Beach or Conway Housing Authority ((843) 248-7327) for more information. Or click here for additional ways to get rent help.
Aid for a crisis
If you need short term or emergency assistance, Churches Assisting People (CAP) offers several resources and services to those people in need. Some of the programs offered to Horry County and Myrtle Beach families include
- Food aid: The agency will provide at least three days of emergency food and groceries to individuals and families in need of help.
- Utility and cooling bills: CAP will also help with paying utility bills and intervene for the client with the utility companies. They will help people who are faced with a disconnection.
- Gasoline: The Churches Assisting People organization can even provide free gasoline. It is mostly got work related reasons. Click here for additional free gasoline programs.
- Prescription medicines: The churches and other local agencies can provide vouchers, which can assist with non-narcotic prescriptions and other medicines.
- Infant and children programs: The agency provides formula and diapers in an emergency or crisis, with the goal of keeping a supply of baby food on hand for those in need.
For more information, call Churches Assisting People (CAP) at 843.488.2277. Or learn more.
Three other local charity agencies that can help Myrtle Beach families include the Helping Hand of Myrtle Beach (843.448.8451), the Horry County Salvation Army (843.488.2769) and the South Strand Helping Hand (843.238.4594). All of these agencies can assist low income, the unemployed, and other struggling families and individuals from the South Strand who are facing a crisis. All of these non-profit agencies can provide, as funding allows, rent and mortgage help, local disaster support, emergency aid for such expenses as electric bills, crisis intervention and referrals to other South Carolina and federal government programs.
Veterans Affairs offers advocacy, help in applying for government benefits, and information on resources such as SSVF. Assistance is only for military members, veterans of the armed forces and their immediate family members. Eviction prevention services are administered as well as support for the homeless too. Telephone - (843) 545-3330.
Friendship Place provides coverage to Horry County too. Services includes homeless shelters, transitional housing, food, and meals. Clients may also get information possible financial assistance or loan programs to pay a security deposit or first months rent when they leave any short term housing. Job training and transportation to clinics may be offered too. (843) 545-1115
For example, the Salvation Army, which is based in Conway but covers the entire Horry County South Carolina area, can provide free food, clothing, household items and financial help for paying rent and utilities. One of their services in highest demand is utility and electric bill assistance, especially during the summer. Read more on summer programs, including free fans.
The Myrtle Beach Salvation Army offers other social services too. Among them include Christmas and Thanksgiving programs such as meals and toys for children. Or get information on case management and employment assistance. More assistance from Horry Salvation Army.
Helping Hand of Myrtle Beach may be able to offer assistance with paying cooling and utilities, and rent help, bus tickets, a free food pantry, free gasoline and vouchers, prescription medication expense assistance and referrals to other charities, helping agencies, and South Carolina government assistance programs. Click here for more details, including phone numbers.
Horry County Council on Aging, Inc., based in Conway (phone (843) 248-5523) provides several services for senior citizens. They can provide meals and recreation activities. Transportation to a medical appointment or shopping may be coordinated. They also help operate senior centers in the county and Myrtle Beach area. More South Carolina agency on Aging programs.
Christian Missions, Inc. - Get free food, clothing, household items, and furnishings for a home or apartment. The non-profit church assists those that may not qualify for help through other government programs or agencies. The Mission will also partner and cooperate with other agencies assisting with utilities, emergency lodging, medicine, etc. Call (843) 291-2411, or click more information.
Social Services Department in Horry County helps those facing poverty and the low income apply for government aid. There is also help for seniors. The main programs include Medicaid for health care needs, Family Independence can provide cash grants for paying bills or food, and social workers from DSS offer referrals to resources such as SNAP food stamps or free summer meals. Much more is provided too, and learn more Horry County public aid.
Myrtle Beach Housing Authority - Programs include housing choice vouchers from section 8 as well as low income apartments or homes for the disabled. They also operate their own service, known as Alliance Inn, however almost all of the housing programs have a very long waiting list. Read more.
Clothing closets operate in the coastal region. The centers can provide free vouchers to the working poor and very low income families in Horry County. Others can shop at the centers, or thrift stores, for free goods. Receive shoes, belts, notebooks, light coats, and more. Additional resources are provided to the senior population in the region. Get more details on free clothing closets in Horry County.
Horry County Christmas and free Holiday programs support both the elderly and children. There are many charities as well as fund raisers held for toys, clothes, and more. All of these organizations ensure low income families have some form of holiday joy. Find details on free Christmas gift programs for kids.
HUD funding - Each year non-profits in Horry County may be allocated money from the federal government for addressing housing issues. Based on the agency and the terms and conditions, there may be the following.
- Grants for utilities that are due and that could result in homelessness. There may be funds for water or electric bills.
- Moving and rehousing costs.
- Low income families may be given an ESG grant for housing expenses that can arrange a lawyer to help them, cover rental expenses, and more.
- Money is for the unemployed and families in poverty too. Read Horry County eviction help.
Horry Catholic Charities provides support to the low income. They are part of the wider Pee Dee organization, and they may have referrals to free food, diapers, cribs and more from the Children Ministry. There may be occasional limited financial aid available. More Horry County Catholic Charity services.
Emergency rent help, shelter, and low income housing - Whether you need to find low income housing, need cash to pay rent in a crisis, or some short term shelter, the Horry County area has a couple dozen organizations that focus on helping people meet their housing needs. Find a full listing of rental assistance in Horry County South Carolina, including phone numbers and addresses.
Payday and short term loans
South Carolina, Horry County, and the Myrtle Beach area in particular have numerous payday lenders that provide residents with short term cash to pay bills. A payday lender may not always be your best option. Find payday loan alternatives.
If after exploring all other options and programs, if you still have no other choice but to use a payday loan to pay an expense, at least look into consolidating them so you can pay them off sooner. More on payday loan consolidation.
Help for senior citizens
Caring and Sharing Inc., (843-558-7966) is another local charity organization that provides both senior citizens and disabled individuals with assistance. They can get free food, financial help, debt counseling, and other types of aid. Learn more on debt assistance programs.
One of the greatest needs being experienced by Myrtle Beach and Horry County families is the need for utility and heating bill help. They can offer resources and refer people to energy assistance programs.
Horry County Community Action Agency
Low income, the elderly, jobless, families with a reduction in income, and the disabled can turn to the Waccamaw Economic Opportunity Council, Inc. for help. Phone number is (843) 234-4100. Some of the services offered include:
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) - This is a federally funded energy program that provides cash grants that are used for both emergency and non-emergency household energy assistance and will prevent a disconnection.
- Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) - Another federally funded government program that provides energy conserving improvements and other assistance with reducing household energy bills and consumption. The program applies energy conservation measures, and the program is free to applicants.
- South Carolina Project Share - Donations are used to fund this energy assistance program. It provides for the assistance from Progress Energy, Santee Electric Cooperative, and also SCE&G. The funds are used to supplement LIHEAP and are offered to low to moderate income customers.
- Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) - Qualified applicants are provided direct assistance and case management services. The aid is used to encourage and maintain self-sufficiency. The services provided from this community action program include Employment and Housing, General Emergency Assistance, Cash Grants, Youth Employment, and Jon Finding Services.
- Several other resources are available. Read Waccamaw Economic Opportunity Council programs.
Foreclosure and housing counseling
The following HUD approved agencies can help people who are struggling to pay their mortgage, or who may be facing a foreclosure n Myrtle Beach or Horry County South Carolina.
South Carolina Foreclosure Prevention Program - Call (888) 320-0350 to review strategies to stop or prevent a home foreclosure.
Another housing agency is Family Service Center of South Carolina. Phone (803) 733-5450.
Free medical clinic in Horry County
Find ways to get help with paying medical bills, or contact Friendship Medical Clinic and Pharmacy is based in Conway SC and is a free medical clinic and medication assistance program. Call (843) 347-7199.
Food assistance, meals, and groceries
Whether you are faced with a short term crisis, or need support during a transition period, families can contact a local food bank. The centers offer meals, government surplus food, perishable groceries, and much more. Many locations may even have clothing or case management. Three of the leading non-profits to call are noted below, but there are many other free food pantries, and click here for additional locations.
- Churches Assisting People - Partners with local churches and religious centers. Dial (843) 488-2277
- Horry County Branch Food Bank - Has a listing of centers in the region, as this food bank provides groceries to them. Call (843) 448-0341
- Caring and Sharing - (843) 558-7966