Rental assistance programs New Jersey
Find where low-income families in New Jersey will get emergency rental assistance or access to housing programs, including grants to pay security deposits, section 8 vouchers, and free legal services from lawyers. Charity organizations, non-profits as well as the government offer help to the elderly, disabled, low-income families or the unemployed among others. Learn where to get help with rent near you in NJ.
A number of immediate and long term rental assistance programs are listed by city, county and region below. There are also statewide programs for housing needs as well. The state of New Jersey, working with charities and non-profits, offers qualified residents support from several rental and housing assistance programs. The goal is to prevent homelessness in the state of NJ, help people find safe and affordable housing to live in, pay for security deposits, and assist with any rent or other unforeseen housing issues.
Get help with paying rent in NJ from government agencies or charities
In addition to the nearby rent assistance programs near you, listed below, there are also regional as well as statewide resources in New Jersey. These really cover the entire state. Most are government run, by referrals and other support is arranged to tenants as well.
- New Jersey Homelessness Prevention – Immediate rent assistance is provided, often within days. This government program will offer limited amounts of grant money and financial assistance to qualified low- and moderate-income tenants who are in danger of eviction. Assistance is targeted at those who are faced with a crisis or who are faced with temporary financial problems beyond their control.
Funds from the homeless prevention program are to be used to disburse payments in the forms of grants or low interest loans. Any money paid out is made directly to banks, mortgage servicers, or landlords, Get free grant money for utility bills, back rent, moving expenses and more. More on homeless prevention NJ.
- Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers – A federal government funded program that can also help low income New Jersey families. The voucher program assists in making quality and safe housing in the private rental market affordable to low income households. There are also income subsidized and low-income apartments with no waiting list. More on section 8 NJ.
- Free Legal Services - Tenants with an eviction or pay or quit notice can get free legal consultations. Non-profit and volunteer lawyers help people stay in their home or apartment, or address housing discrimination. More on NJ free legal services.
- New Jersey Salvation Army rent assistance and housing programs - Each city, town and county has a Salvation Army center. They will offer emergency rent help, utility assistance, and even mortgage payment funds. More on Salvation Army rent assistance in New Jersey.
- The New Jersey Department of Community Affairs administers various programs of their own. They also partner with various local non-profit organizations and charities across the state to help renters. A number of programs prevent homelessness. Based on the applicant's situation, they can help pay rent and help people find low income, permanent, and stable housing. Call (609) 292-6420.
- Shelter Housing Exit Program (SHE) - Victims of domestic violence and their children who need assistance can benefit from this resource. Help is offered for people who are currently in living transitional housing facilities, low income housing, single moms or shelters. The Shelter Exit Program can provide rental assistance and funds for a portion of security deposits as well. Call (609) 633-6266
- Section 8 Homeownership Program – This is a component of the Housing Choice Voucher. The program will offer help in that funds that are currently used towards rental or housing payments will be applied towards homeownership expenses. The government money can be used for paying principal and interest on mortgage debt, property taxes, insurance, utilities, heating bills and other various homeownership expenses. More on section 8 home buying program.
Local New Jersey rental assistance programs
Select a nearby county or city below. There are charities, churches, non-profits and government agencies in NJ that will help struggling renters as well as the homeless. Get applications to long term or emergency rent assistance programs as well as hotel vouchers and more.
Related Content From Needhelppayingbills.com