latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Free legal aid in New Jersey.

Find how to get free lawyer consultations and legal services in New Jersey. There are pro-bono attorneys, non-profit law firms , volunteer lawyers and others that help low-income families and seniors. As long as the issue is civil in nature, Legal Services of New Jersey (LSNJ) is available including over the phone. Find how to get free legal aid in NJ by county below.

This is a non-profit, independent organization that administers the statewide Legal Services system with offices in each county. Lawyers will help tenants facing eviction or homeowners threatened with foreclosure. Get access to free elder law attorneys, help for family matters such unpaid child support or DV, legal aid in applying for public assistance programs in NJ and more. The organization has a goal of providing equal access to attorneys and related services to all families as well as individuals in New Jersey.

Free legal services programs in New Jersey

The non-profit agencies listed below offer some or all of the following services to New Jersey residents. Each office has its own terms and conditions in place. Pro-bono, volunteer attorneys are available for a consult, including in an emergency.

  • Rental and Housing Lawyers: Get representation and legal advice in landlord/tenant matters. There ii help in applying to rent assistance programs, legal help with addressing foreclosures, or support in accessing public housing. Some law firms also focus on community economic development, eviction prevention advice, and other housing or rental matters.
  • Workers Legal Rights Project: Offers education, legal representation, and advocacy to low-wage workers in employment matters such as Family and Medical Leave Act. Other common requests are for Wage and Hour Disputes, Discrimination Matters, Retaliation (Whistleblower/CEPA), Barriers to Job Employment, and Employment Benefits Issues.
  • Foreclosure Assistance / Defense Project: This is a resource that provides free legal assistance to homeowners who are faced the loss of their home due to a mortgage foreclosure filing. A combination of financial aid and counsel can help people stop a foreclosure filing. Read more on New Jersey foreclosure programs.




  • Health Care Access Project: Get counsel and representation at administrative hearings for applying to government assistance programs, such as Medicaid eligibility determinations, NJ FamilyCare and Medicare cases. Also get help in dealing with legal issues that may result from health insurance companies, even those that are part of the Affordable Care Act. Attorneys can also advise on medical debt collection laws in New Jersey. Read more on assistance from medical debt collectors in NJ.
  • Senior Law Project and Elder Attorneys Offers legal assistance, advice, and representation in order to protect and secure the rights of senior citizens, who are defined as older persons who are 60 years and older. Receive help with Housing, Consumer, Family, Public Benefits, Health Care, Medical and other legal matters.
  • Low Income Taxpayer Clinic in NJ: This is a service that helps individuals and families with IRS related cases or controversies. They can even help with state of New Jersey tax issues. The clinic also provides educational services about a resident’s tax rights, responsibilities, and obligations. Some basic property tax assistance may be provided.
  • Anti-Predatory Lending Project: If you are the victim of aggressive banks or lenders, get free legal help from this program. It will provide individuals with representation to help them deal with the predatory banks or lenders. Lawyers can sue payday lenders or help a consumer with credit card companies or dealing with mortgage holders.
  • Support is offered for illegal debt collection or mortgage practices too. It can also assist homeowners in New Jersey who are victims of predatory lending practices and who may be in danger of losing their most important asset, their home. Attorneys can also help with payday lenders.
  • Family Representation Project: Offers New Jersey families legal advice and representation with civil family matters. It can aid parents in cases where The Division of Youth and Family Services takes action limiting their rights or obligations.
  • Immigration Legal Rights Project: This will increase education and awareness about immigration issues and programs through advice and representation on behalf of citizens and Legal Permanent Residents. It can also help undocumented or illegal individuals who would be eligible for assistance through the Violence Against Women Act “VAWA”, or are eligible for a U Visa or T Visa.





Property Tax lawyers are available at local non-profit firms. Lawyers in New Jersey help people apply for exemptions, challenge assessments, and understand their civil rights when it comes to local cities or counties increasing rates. A major focus is on helping senior citizens in New Jersey with real estate needs, as the goal is to help them find an apply for exemptions so they can stay in their house. Read more on senior real estate tax exemptions.

Apply for free legal consultations

There are multiple offices that provide legal aid to different parts of the state. Find them below. Each has a team of lawyers, paralegals and attorneys available to help low-income families.

Bergen, Hudson and Passaic County legal aid is Northeast New Jersey Legal Services (NNJLS) for help. This non-profit organization provides low and moderate income individuals with free legal advice as well as a wide variety of services. Call them at 201-487-2166 for more information.

Ocean-Monmouth Legal Services offers free legal services and resources in Ocean and Monmouth Counties. The lawyers help people, including those with no income or money, deal with a broad range of issues. They can help with housing, foreclosures, and also people applying for government assistance and benefits. The firm has specialists for solving family matters, consumer cases, credit card debt and counseling, and others. Contact is (732) 866-0020 or (732) 414-6750.

Free lawyers in Mercer, Middlesex, or Union County are available.  Central Jersey Legal Services, Inc. (phone (609) 695-6249) may be able to provide you with free legal aid. They are a nonprofit law firm that provides free advice, a hotline for phone calls in civil cases to low-income people, senior citizens and others who can’t afford an attorney. It covers people who live in the Central New Jersey area, including the counties referenced above. Some basic, in court representation may be provided too.

Hunterdon, Somerset, Warren, Morris, and Sussex Counties has a number of volunteer attorneys for less fortunate people.  Low income residents, senior citizens, and others who need legal advice can get help from Legal Services of Northwest New Jersey. One focus on this firm is solving housing issues, ranging from evictions to repairs needed to homes or apartments. The non-profit coordinates with local firms and law professional. They can be reached at (908) 782-7979.

Essex-Newark Legal Services if you need legal representation, advice, or access to its services. The phone number is ((973) 624-4500. This non-profit will not only offer advice, but they may also represent some seniors or low income families in court.





Free lawyers in Southern NJ cover the counties of Burlington, Gloucester, Camden, Atlantic, Salem, Cumberland, and Cape May. Thousands of people in the southern part of New Jersey also need free legal aid from an attorney or non-profit organization. People are facing foreclosures, need help on navigating government benefit programs, and may be dealing with legal issues at work. Other residents have an eviction notice or need help in contesting a disconnection of their power or heat. Call this organization at 1-800-496-4570 to speak to an attorney for free.


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara

Contact NeedHelpPayingBills


















Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site