Rent assistance in Ocean County New Jersey.
Find programs and agencies in Ocean County New Jersey that can help residents pay rent, security deposits, and prevent evictions. The unemployed, low to moderate income, seniors, and disabled have many rental assistance programs available to them, and the details are below.
Many of the resources are formally known as homelessness prevention programs and they provide emergency as well as limited financial assistance to qualified renters and homeowners. Funding is limited and only a limited number of applications are approved. The rental assistance is targeted at people who are in imminent danger of eviction (or even foreclosure) due to temporary financial hardships that are not of their making and are beyond their control. The assistance is offered in the forms of grants, or low interest loans. In some cases the rent and housing assistance will be paid directly to the Ocean County family, and in other cases it may be paid to their landlord or lender.
Saint Francis Community Center
Address of center 4700 Long Beach Blvd.
Long Beach, New Jersey, 08008
Dial (609) 494 – 8861 for information on services.
They administer a number of low income programs and social services, including financial assistance for basic housing needs, such as rent, security deposits, and more.
Ocean County NJ Non-profit rent assistance agencies
- CONTACT of Ocean & Monmouth Counties. The phone number is 732-240-6100. The non-profit can provide referrals for community resources form a database of over 1700 programs and agencies.
- Habitat for Humanity of Southern Ocean County, 668 US HWY 9 West Creek, call 609-978-9984
- Habitat for Humanity of Northern Ocean County, 1201 Route 166, Toms River, New Jersey, telephone 732-818-9500
- Hands for All - Homes for All 7 Hyers St. Toms River 732-286-7929
- Interfaith Hospitality Network of Ocean County, 253 Chestnut Street, Toms River, NJ 08753-8352, dial (732) 736-1550
- Inc. (Hope Center) 253 Chestnut St. Toms River 732-736-1550
- Northern Ocean County Board of Social Services, 1027 Hooper Ave., Toms River New Jersey, phone number 732-349-1500
- Southern Ocean County Board of Social Services, address 333 Haywood Rd., Manahawkin, New Jersey, call 609-242-6100
- Ocean Mental Health Services PATH, 160 Route 9, Bayville, call 732-349-5550
- Preferred Behavioral Health PATH, 700 Airport Rd., Lakewood New Jersey, phone 732-367-4700
Catholic Charities – An emergency rental assistance program is in place for individuals who have a notice to quit or eviction notice. They also offer case management, counseling, and have information on other local low income housing programs. 200 Monmouth Ave, Lakewood, NJ, 08701, dial (732) 363 – 5322
O.C.E.A.N., Inc. – This agency is located at 22 Hyers St, Toms River, New Jersey, 08753, Telephone (732) 244 - 2351. The non-profit, community action organization can help low income families and seniors apply for grants for rent or energy bills, or clients can explore options for security deposit assistance.
Ocean County Board of Social Services – The local government agency that has information on various federal government and state of New of Jersey housing and rental assistance programs, grants, and loans. They can provide information, and help people apply as well. Also apply for Section 8 housing vouchers. 1027 Hooper Ave, Toms River, NJ, 08754, dial (732) 349 - 1500
Ocean County PROCEED - They offer referrals and support across the state. Referrals to entitlement programs, low income housing, and emergency rental assistance may be administered. Phone (908) 351 - 7727.
Many churches in Ocean County New Jersey can provide the low income and disadvantaged with rent help as well. A listing of the churches are below. Funding will be very limited, but they are another option if you are faced with a crisis situation, and most of the rent assistance is focused on people who are faced with homelessness and have no other resources available to them.
- St. Vincent DePaul Society of St. Aloysius/St. Monica Church
Jackson, New Jersey, 08527
Phone number - 732-370-0098
- Saint Anthony Claret Church
Address - 780 Ocean Ave
Lakewood, New Jersey, 08701
Call the church at (732) 364 - 0660
- Saint Dominic's Roman Catholic Church
Location - 250 Old Squan Rd
Brick, New Jersey, 08724
Phone number (732) 458 – 7450
- Saint Martha's Church Roman Catholic Church
3800 Herbertsville Road
Point Pleasant, NJ, 08742
Call (732) 295 – 3630
- Saint Mary's Church
747 W Bay Ave
Barnegat, New Jersey, 08005
Phone number - (609) 698 - 7477
Ocean County Legal Services handles housing and civil law, including housing and eviction assistance. Pro-bono attorneys can help deal with landlords, or refer tenants to possible resources for emergency financial aid for paying back rent expenses or dealing with unsafe apartments. Call the firm at (888) 576 - 5529.
Homeless Prevention/Rehousing - The Department of Community Affairs in Ocean County helps tenants and homeowners. The aid provided may include a grant for rental arrears, help moving, motel vouchers, and much more. Find eviction prevention in Ocean County.
Assistance from Section 8 housing vouchers
The New Jersey Department of Community Affairs runs the Section 8 Existing Housing program. This federal government funded program will subsidize the rent paid by local families so that they can afford to pay for safe, decent housing in the private rental market. Participants will still need to pay a portion of their income towards housing costs.
The New Jersey State Rental Assistance Program provides Ocean County applicants with rental assistance grants, which is in effect comparable to the federal Housing Choice Voucher. Apply at the following.
- Lakewood Housing Authority, 317 Sampson Ave. Lakewood New Jersey, dial 732-364-1300
- OC Board of Social Services, 1027 Hooper Ave., Toms River, New Jersey, phone number 732-349-1500
- Rental Assistance Program, Ocean County, 1510 Hooper Ave., Toms River, call 732-255-0818