Assistance programs Youngstown and Mahoning County.
Find where to apply for financial help in Mahoning County. There are government agencies, charities, and churches that provide cash grants, loans, free stuff and social services. The funds can help pay heating or utility bills, assist with rent or housing in Youngstown, pay for prescription drugs or give out a free box of food.
Other resources in Youngstown Ohio and the county range from gasoline vouchers to case management and permanent housing placement services, among other assistance programs. There may also be free car repairs for low income families, school supplies for students as well as holiday help (free Christmas toys, food baskets, etc.). Find details on these and other programs below.
Financial assistance for rent, mortgages, utility bills and food assistance
Catholic Charities helps tens of thousands of families with emergency financial assistance. They provide thousands of qualified people with free food, emergency utility or heating bill help, prescription drugs or clothes (among other resources). There is also free stuff including Meals on Wheels for the homebound. They also provide immigration services and support to single mothers or those facing unsafe living conditions.
- You can also receive help with housing, including foreclosure counseling, rental assistance, or case management from Catholic Charities (if qualified and funding allows). There may also be home mortgage payment assistance, free housing counseling, and general guidance. That may include home down-payment assistance for both renters as well as potential buyers.
- There is also the First Step pregnancy support program. Catholic Charities First Step is an assistance program that links lower and middle income pregnant women and families who have children that range in age from birth to 3 years old with material assistance. There may be free baby formula or cribs. Or pregnant women can apply for case management services as well as other community resources available to address the family needs.
In addition to those programs, Catholic Charities in Mahoning County offers other types of emergency assistance, such as counseling, advocacy and referrals. The goal is to help the vulnerable, whether elderly, disabled, unemployed or working poor. A number of emergency financial assistance programs and social services are offered.
This charity is one of the primary organizations that provide assistance in Mahoning County and Youngstown Ohio. They work with many volunteers and churches too. Call Catholic Charities at ((330) 744-3320. Or get more details on Youngstown Catholic charities assistance programs.
Children’s and Family Services in Mahoning County often gets grants to help the low income. This agency, which can be reached at (330)965-7828, has received a federal government grant that will be used to provide various forms of help, including mortgage, rental, utility bill, and case management assistance to hundreds of local households. The Office of Housing and Community Partnerships also provides financial assistance, cash grants, and technical assistance to units of local government and nonprofit organizations in Ohio for project activities which benefit low- and moderate-income Mahoning County citizens.
The Mahoning Youngstown Community Action Partnershipruns multiple financial assistance programs as well as case management type services. The goal is to help the low income, seniors, disabled and “vulnerable” in the region.
- One resource a program known as Home Energy Services. The program starts with an energy audit of your home or residence. The non-profit agency will test your furnace or other heating appliance, and they will also see how much heat escapes your home by reviewing your home's insulation. The check on how efficient your windows and doors are to determine if they're letting heat escape from your home.
They also may be able to perform various energy conserving weatherization services on your home, including installing new floor, attic, furniace repairs and wall insulation. Since this energy bill conserving program began, MYCAP has weatherized thousands of homes in Youngstown and Mahoning County. In addition, depending on its current condition, your furnace or other heating appliance may be replaced or tuned up.
- In addition to the energy program mentioned above, Mahoning Youngstown Community Action Partnership also runs programs that provide cash or grants for paying utility and heating bills. The different programs include Regular HEAP Program (Home Energy Assistance Program), Percentage of Income Plan (PIP), as well as the Emergency HEAP program. All of these are options for qualified homeowners. Or read more on or get help with utilities.
- Senior Services as well as emergency financial aid resources are also offered by the community action agency. They also operate grant based assistance programs which include low income energy bill help. There is also free food and clothing, and transportation assistance, as well as home visits. The case management includes budgeting as well as problem-solving services, etc. for the low income.
In addition to the resources indicated above, the non-profit Youngstown and Mahoning County Community Action offers other support services. The organization can help low income qualified clients enroll into Head Start or the unemployed access job training from WIA and other tools. Some of the other aid from MYCAP can include referrals from the Ohio Benefit Bank, financial help or loans for rural members of the county, and maybe even emergency, short term rent or security deposit help. Call phone (330) 747-7921, or continue Mahoning Youngstown Community Action.
You can learn about local charities, non-profits, and both federal and Ohio assistance programs from the Help Hotline Crisis Center, Inc. 1-800-427-3606. They are a great resource to learn about Housing Assistance Program, Senior citizen programs and help line. Homeless outreach program, victims assistance program, and who to call for help with bills and debts.
The Salvation Army oversees and runs several programs as well as social services that will help meet basic human needs and it provides emergency assistance. Learn about, or get help, with rent, prescriptions, free food, and heating bills. The Mahoning County seasonal resources range from Adopt a Family (free Christmas gifts for kids) to AC units during the summer, fall back to school supplies, and winter heating bill help.
In addition, they also provides social development, educational, and recreational programs for children, youth, and adults in the community. Many residents of the county also call them for referrals and information on employment programs in Ohio. 330-746-8403, or read more on financial assistance from Youngstown Salvation Army.
Associated Neighborhood Centers offers a number of non-financial programs. The non-profit provides youth and teen program, senior, social and health programs, family education and support including health and wellness programs, computer classes, financial budgeting and food pantry. 1649 Jacobs Road, Youngstown, Ohio 44505, call 330-744-4377.
Mahoning St. Vincent de Paul provides a number of support programs to the poor and less fortunate. All assistance is confidential and is mostly offered one on one. Contact the charity for basic needs and information.
Some of what may be available from the Saint Vincent church in Mahoning County, often by referral, is free food, meals, shelter, and financial aid for housing expenses such as rent or energy bills. They are based in Youngstown Ohio but cover the entire county. Dial (330) 746-4004, or more on Mahoning County St. Vincent de Paul assistance programs.
Free holiday assistance programs in Mahoning County help the low income, poor, single moms or dads, children and others. Many charities, including as part of Toys for Tots, ban together to provide free Christmas gifts, meals, and more to the less fortunate. Find details on free holiday and Christmas help in Mahoning County.
Community Legal Aid Services, Inc. offers free legal assistance and advice to low-income families and individuals with a wide range of critical civil legal problems. 1-800-998-9454
Interfaith Home Maintenance provides for free any necessary emergency home repair for low-income homeowners, in particular seniors in Youngstown Ohio. Telephone 330-743-7800.
Find Mahoning County funds for paying rent, security deposits, and transitional housing programs. Whether it is a church, charity, or Job and Family Service Department, many homeless prevention programs are available. Clients can be given everything from a government grant to other charitable money to help with back rent and rehousing. Find rent help in Mahoning County.
Food bank provides groceries and free food
Second Harvest Food Bank of the Mahoning Valley (contact 330-792-5522) provides food to hungry individuals as well as directly to relief organizations including church pantries, non-profit agencies, shelters for battered women, distribution centers, soup kitchens, and homeless shelters in Mahoning County Ohio.
Food pantries also operate across the county and city of Youngstown. There are several for families to call upon. Assistance is available for people facing a short term crisis, and many of the pantries also have staff on site that can help residents apply for SNAP food stamps and other benefits. Find clothing, holiday meals, and even items such as school supplies from a non-profit food pantry. Read more Mahoning County free food pantry.
Free health care clinics in Mahoning and Youngstown Ohio
Some of the healthcare clinics located in the Youngstown Ohio are include. Or find out more information on free health care centers. Note that some of the centers may charge minimal fees for their services if you have some form of income or insurance. However the Mahoning clinics will try their best to assist everyone and not turn anyone away, regardless of their income. They are part of a network of free clinics for the low income.
- Hubbard Immediate Care (330) 259-0788 - 730 N Main St, Youngstown, OH, 44514
- St Joseph Health Center - Marketing/Public Relations (330) 480-3346 - Youngstown, OH, 44501
- Maxim Healthcare (330) 783-3134 - 4927 Market St, Youngstown, OH, 44512
Free dental help is offered in Mahoning County. Too many families either have (1) zero dental insurance or (2) very poor or affordable coverage. There are clinics that offer assistance, free dentists that volunteer there time, and even government or charitable programs that can help meet this need. Cleanings, X-rays, fluoride, check-ups and much more is offered. Find free dentists and dental clinics in Ohio.