Youngstown and Mahoning County St. Vincent de Paul assistance programs.
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul in Youngstown is involved in finding solutions to homelessness, hunger, and employment needs in the larger Mahoning County community. The services that are offered in an effort to meet these diverse goals include a free food pantry, referrals to job training centers, emergency rent or energy bill help, and more. There are also seasonal assistance programs administered by the Venetians, whether that is providing a holiday meal or offering clothing to students from families living in poverty.
The team can go over the application process for any financial aid or loans that may be issued. Or for those seeking other services, such as the tools needed to achieve self-sufficiency, this can also be arranged. At the end of the day, the Youngstown Ohio St. Vincent de Paul provides both emergency assistance and referrals to long term relief.
Food and financial support in Mahoning County
Society of St. Vincent de Paul in Youngstown food pantry provides free groceries for families in need. The bag may have a few days worth of canned and/or fresh food. It can be used to prepare a nutritious meal, such as the following.
- bag of rice.
- box of cereal or other breakfast item.
- bag of dried beans.
- cans of powdered/evaporated milk.
- canned meat such as Spam.
- jar of peanut butter as well as jelly.
- cans of soup.
- A box of macaroni and cheese or pasta as well as spaghetti/ravioli.
- can of fruit as well as vegetables.
- sleeve of crackers.
- free infant or baby formula.
Mahoning County St. Vincent may be able to help with the following:
- Ongoing case management around employment, saving money, and budgeting.
- One time financial assistance for rental and utility bills arrears. Much rarer will be money for paying security deposits and referrals to ongoing rental and utility subsidies, such as section 8 vouchers.
- Volunteer staff from Saint Vincent in Youngstown may be able to mediate disputes between tenant and landlords or utility companies and their customers.
- Staff work with clients on finding new housing, if necessary.
- Get linked to, or help in accessing other services provided in Mahoning County. These include free Legal Aid, food from pantries, clothing banks, department of job as well as Family Social services (DSS) aid, and more.
Mahoning County St. Vincent de Paul Christmas programs are also available. Low income families may face financial emergencies at the worst possible time. This is particularly difficult for parents when it happens at Christmas, such as them losing a job or having a medical condition. This often makes it impossible for parents to buy gifts for their children.
The agency created the Christmas program to serve low-income parents and other caregivers of children aged 16 years and younger. Throughout the year, the non-profit collect new toys from generous community members as well as local businesses. They then make them available in the Christmas Toy Shop.
Qualifying low to moderate income parents are invited to come in and choose their children’s gifts. St Vincent partners with toy donors and the families across Youngstown who benefit, and this is all done to help the kids. The case managers also collaborate with other agencies in the community to screen clients and determine the extent of their need at the holidays. There are many resources for free Christmas gifts.
Youngstown Ohio Society St. Vincent de Paul support services
Self-Sufficiency is always stressed too. Many programs are available. There is a regional Computer Literacy Program that provides basic and intermediate computer operations training. There are classes for people of all experience levels. Topics include software knowledge and application, and internet navigation for job-posting websites through on-line tutorials, hands-on repetition and individualized instruction from volunteer teachers.
Venetians from across Mahoning County also help clients get the stuff they require for basic needs. This is part of self-sufficiency. The objective is to provide job seekers clothing or maybe a way to get to an interview. There may also be school supplies for kids, uniforms, and winter attire for individuals that work outside in the elements. Many other resources may be offered too.
The Society of Saint Vincent de Paul in Mahoning County is based at 208 W Front St, Youngstown, Ohio 44503-1204. Call the church at 330-746-4004.