latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Job Training

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Community Health Centers

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website


Assistance programs Kane County.

Find financial help in Kane County from charities, churches, and the government DHS office. Organizations can help with rent or security deposits, pass out free groceries or clothes, offer medical care or prescription vouchers, and address other needs of the low income.

Charities in Aurora as well as the Geneva region also offer free back to school supplies or gasoline vouchers as well as Christmas toys. There is also financial help for bills from foundations in Kane County, job training programs, work from job positions, and more. Learn how and where to apply for cash grants, budgeting classes, job placement, and emergency financial aid in Aurora and Kane County below.

Get financial help with paying rent and utility bills in Kane County

Find assistance from Salvation Army Tri-City Corps. This charity organization provides help with a variety of bills, including rent, water and energy bills. Also, the services now offered include offering free food and low-cost health services to those who need help. Salvation Army centers across Kane County Illinois can also provide the low income and working poor with social services.

Other free material goods from the Kane County Salvation Army charity include free Christmas meals and toys as well as back to school supplies. They also offer a wide array of other emergency services. They also have referrals to national groups, such as financial help from foundations.

The Carpentersville Salvation Army and the county offers help to those in need.  The grants can go toward paying a families mortgage, rent, or utility bills. To be qualified, you need to have become unemployed or you need to have had your working hours significantly reduced. Or, you need to be below the poverty line to receive financial aid, according to the Federal Poverty Scale. .

The programs also provide free back to school supply assistance programs as well as homeless shelters or cooling fans during the summer. Call the Salvation Army agency at 630/377-2769. Read more on the Kane County Salvation Army.

Lazarus House provides money for rent, energy bills, free food, as well as safe shelter. There is also case management services, grants for heating bills, counseling and support services to people who are facing an eviction as well as homeless persons in St. Charles, Batavia, Geneva and western rural Kane County.




They have programs that currently provides ongoing rental assistance to about 50 families per month. People needing rent help or shelter should call (630) 587-2144. Those people who are seeking cash grants for rent or utility bill assistance need to call (630) 587-5872. Or find more details on emergency financial assistance from Lazarus House.

Another focus of the agency is on assisting Kane County families that are facing a shut off of their heating bills. Many payment plans and other resources are available. Click here for information on grants from Illinois power companies for utility bills that can benefit Kane County Illinois and Geneva families.

The Outreach program, otherwise known as homeless prevention, program helped about 60 households with paying one-time rental assistance and they also helped about 55 households with ongoing rent subsidies and grants. As noted, dial 630) 587-5872 for Lazarus House.

Society of St. Vincent DePaul of St. Catherine of Siena Conference – The needy may qualify for limited amounts of financial assistance. The amount paid out depends on the applicant's need. Grants may be issued for electric or natural gas bill assistance, gasoline vouchers, prescription medicine, rent or mortgage assistance.

Food and free clothing may be offered too, including furniture vouchers for thrift stores. While funding is limited, there may be instances in which the charity issues clients a loan for their needs. Two centers are at 845 West Main Street, Dundee, IL 60118, (224) 520-1589 as well as St. John Neumann Catholic Church. Call (630) 375-7746. Another St. Vincent Church is in Carpentersville Illinois, and dial (847) 428-5467, or more on Kane County Society St. Vincent programs.

Catholic Charities of Aurora and Kane County offers pregnancy programs and assistance for children. In addition a community outreach program is available to help families and individuals. It can provide them with limited assistance for paying utility bills, including their electric, gas, or even water.

Funds for rent are offered too. Other social services may include free food, school backpacks or supplies, diapers or employment counseling. A bilingual worker on site provides outreach to the Hispanic community. Call (630) 820-3226, or more on Catholic Charities assistance programs in Kane.

Free school supplies and uniforms - During the summer, several organizations (including Catholic Charities) pass out/give away school supplies as well as clothes to students. There may also be food, meals, after school care, tutoring services and more. Continue with Kane County back to school supply assistance programs.





Community Crisis Center - Economic Crisis Services can help those faced with an unexpected hardship. It may offer comprehensive emergency assistance to families and individuals who lost their job, are faced with foreclosure, were evicted, or have another hardship.

Register for case management, emergency food, personal and financial counseling. Money can be used to pay rent, utilities, and transportation. Some clients may often be given low cost loans for their bills. In addition emergency shelter and case management is offered for women and their children dealing with homelessness. Dial (847) 697-2380, or learn more.

Hesed House - PADS (Public Action to Deliver Shelter), Inc. and Aurora Soup Kitchen may provide food and short term housing to the needy. In addition to meals and food for the homeless and low income, the non-profit may have a transitional housing program, counseling and employment assistance. 659 South River Street, Aurora, IL 60506. Call (630) 897-2156.

Kane County DHS (Department of Human Services) processes public assistance programs. The Family Resource Centers are located in Kane County. They help the working poor, disabled, seniors, and unemployed among others. These are the locations to contact for information on public assistance and government aid, including LIHEAP applications in Illinois. They administer programs that are funded by the federal government as well as the Illinois Department of Human Services.

Numerous services are available at a center. Low income families can apply for items such as SNAP food stamps or energy bill assistance. Health care needs can be met by Medicaid or other government health care. Additional resources include cash assistance/TANF, low income housing and more. There are also assisted living centers and senior care. Read Kane County public assistance.

Aurora Township offers General Assistance. This is only an option for people who are not qualified for other state of Illinois or federal government assistance programs. Rent and utility funding is available. Case managers can also refer residents to other information and regional community services. A goal is to help people meet their basic needs. A focus is also on the unemployed. Dial (630) 897-8777

Lazarus House Emergency Shelter is a location that offers hospitality, food, safe shelter, and support services. It can help single parents, women, children, and others in the community. While more limited, they may have grant funds to assist qualifying individuals, seniors and families with paying rent, utilities or security deposits needs. Referrals are readily available as well to anyone who needs assistance. 214 Walnut Street, St. Charles, IL 60174, call (630) 587-2144

Find how to get help during the holiday season(s). Several charities as well as non-profits help struggling families. There are free Christmas toys or gifts (for children under the age of 16) as well as food baskets for households. Seniors, the homebound in Kane County, and disabled can also get visitors or go to congregate meal sites. Or get free Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas cards and other support. More on free holiday assistance Kane County.

St. Monica's Catholic Church provides low income and otherwise qualified families with one time financial assistance for food, clothing, rent or mortgage payments, utility bills and maybe even automobile gasoline. 90 North Kennedy Drive, Carpentersville, Illinois 60110, dial (847) 428-5467.





St. Thomas More Church Elgin covers the south and west sides of Elgin Illinois. Certificates or vouchers can be used to apply towards groceries or transportation needs. Other certificates may be used for prescription, rent or utility bills. No cash is given. Or receive referrals to other Kane County Illinois non-profits, charities, or churches. (847) 628-5170.

Kane County Churches and Family Services is part of the larger Illinois organization. Referrals, information, and support is available for the low income, unemployed, seniors, and others. Learn about the following.

  • Food banks from churches and pantries.
  • Basic needs in Kane County, such as clothing and thrift stores.
  • Referrals to housing and/or financial assistance.
  • Additional assistance may be available too. More on Illinois churches and family services.

Dundee Township runs a general assistance program. This includes limited amounts of emergency financial assistance for paying rent or utilities for residents facing a utility turning off or eviction. Transportation is offered from the Ride In Kane transportation assistance program for senior citizens and also disabled residents. Address is 557 Barrington Avenue, East Dundee, IL 60118, dial (847) 428-8092.

Programs to stop homeless are available. Charities in Kane County as well as non-profits such as the United Way allocate funds as part of ESG, supportive service for veterans, and HOPWA. All of these resources are used to stop eviction and/or foreclosures. Assistance includes grants to financial aid for single mothers and those living in poverty. More information on Kane County eviction prevention programs.

Kane County and Illinois Volunteers of America is available for the low income and struggling residents. Numerous services are provided, such as both transitional and low income housing. The homeless can look into deposit or rent assistance, which is often combined with self-sufficiency. Veterans, seniors, and children are another focus. Read Illinois volunteer of America programs.

Veterans Assistance Commission of Kane County provides financial aid and services to military veterans and their families. In a crisis, get help paying for rent, food, heating bills, and even personal needs. Staff from the agency also offer support in applying for benefits, pensions, and also in filing lost discharge claims. Other social services are offered too. 719 South Batavia Ave, Geneva, Illinois 60134, (630) 232-3550.

Emergency funds for rent for Kane County families can help stop an eviction. There are charities as well as town offices that offer general assistance or some form of grant. There are also other housing programs that can offer transitional housing or money to pay a security deposit or first month’s rent expense for people that are moving to a more affordable apartment. More information on emergency rent assistance Kane County.

Free clothes, back to school supplies, furniture, Christmas assistance, and other basic needs can be met by clothing closets as well as furniture banks. These sites are focused on the lowest income Kane County Illinois families and often operate from churches as well as local charities. However people of all income levels can low cost receive work or school clothes, winter coats, household goods, and maybe free vouchers from thrift stores. Or find school supplies, household furniture items, diapers and more. Click here Kane County free clothes, school supplies and furniture.







Access to free attorneys

Prairie State Legal Services is a non-profit law firm that ensures that Kane County Illinois residents are not denied access to the justice system. It provides free legal advice and consultations. A number of lawyers and attorneys help qualified low income households. The legal aid is focuses on elderly and low income through provision of legal services. Call them toll free at 800/942-4612.

Mortgage and foreclosure assistance

Two Rivers Head Start Agency is the local community action agency for Kane County. The agency provides rent and mortgage assistance, as part of an overall program that also offers budgeting and financial literacy, to low income and unemployed. Call the agency at (630) 264-1444, or learn more on Illinois mortgage assistance programs.

Financial help for transportation expenses, food, eye and dental care, and more

Several free services and programs are offered by Two Rivers Head Start Agency (phone number (630) 264-144). They provide emergency financial assistance for gasoline, eyeglasses and exams, and paying for medical as well as hospital bills.

The Head Start Agency tries to support working parents, including single mothers or fathers. Also, get help for repairing your car or paying for automobile insurance if you need it work work. A food pantry is also available to distribute food. Or locate other financial resources and free items for single mothers.

Assistance from free food programs

Several churches, charities, and food pantries in the region are available for low income families and the working poor. Some of the Kane County Illinois centers will also offer resources such as home delivered meals, Thanksgiving and Christmas baskets, and lunches for students who are on break. Some locations are below, but there are many other pantries as well as free soup kitchens as well. Residents can find more Kane County free food pantries.

Elburn Community Center can be reached at (630) 365-6655. Various activities, meals, and more may be served from the center.

Marie Wilkinson Foundation Community Food Pantry is located in Aurora at 834 North Highland Avenue. The location may have free boxes of canned goods, fresh foods, frozen items and more.

FISH Food Pantry provides case management, advice, applications for food stamps and more. Carpentersville, Illinois 60110, call (847) 428-435.

Free and discounted health care in Kane County

Kid Care Medical ((847) 888-3631) is a program that provides low cost or free school physicals and medical assistance for children. They have 8 offices in area suburbs including Arlington Heights and Hanover Park.

As just an example of some of the assistance offered, this year the Kid Care program offered $20 physicals and $5 immunizations at the Tri-City Corps Salvation Army. In addition, patients can’t afford to pay these low fees, Kid Care will even offer families free health care, or just charge them what they could afford to pay on the bill. Tri-City Corps will also work with health care providers and hospitals like Delnor Hospital to offer free osteoporosis screenings and heart disease risk assessment. Find additional health care programs.





Well Child Center (phone number 847/741-7370) is a health clinic that offers preventive health care, medical, and dental services for children from their birth up to age 18. They also offer nutrition counseling and education for families (such as the WIC Program). In addition, the agency also provides pediatric dental care to eligible children.

Another medical clinic in the area is Tri City Health Partnership. This facility provides medical and dental services to the low income, unemployed and uninsured for acute and chronic illnesses, while focusing on preventive medicine to ensure long term health. Phone number 630/377-9277.

Aurora Medical and Dental Clinic - Community Health Partnership of Illinois provides services for farm workers and their immediate family members. The centers also help adults and children who are publicly insured or uninsured. A wide variety of medical and dental care is offered. Some examples include immunizations, outpatient sick care, lab services, dental leanings, medications, physicals and more. 157 South Lincoln Avenue, Aurora, IL 60505, dial (630) 859-0015.

Department of Human Services in Kane County helps the low income, adults, and children get free or low cost health insurance. Or they offer information on referrals on financial aid, such as non-profits that can pay deductible, free medications or insulin programs, cancer programs and more. Find more tips on how to get help with paying health insurance deductibles.

Hanover Township - Community Health offers health needs assessments, wellness screenings, immunization clinics, and a lending closet that is full of medical equipment. Call (630) 483-5665 for appointments.

Greater Elgin Family Care Center - Slade Health Center offers pediatrics, family practice and dental care. Assistance is offered to the uninsured, people with coverage as well as under-insured residents of Kane County. Family medical care is offered, including case management. Services are offered in Spanish too. (847) 608-13447

By Jon McNamara

Additional Local Programs

Financial Help Near You

Rent Payment Assistance Near You

Free Food Near You

Utility Assistance Near You

Free Stuff Near You




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site