Assistance programs Forsyth County and Winston Salem North Carolina.
Find charity organizations, churches or government agencies that provide financial help to low income families in the Winston Salem area. The free grant money or loans in Forsyth County help pay a mortgage, back rent, electric or utility bills or a security deposit. Or get free food, clothes, gas vouchers, a free car for a job and more. Locate financial assistance near you in Forsyth County NC.
There may be emergency for low-income families, the poor, or people with no money. Free grants to pay bills or housing is offered. Other forms of support can be offered that will ensure people become self-sufficient over the long term. There are also places for free stuff in the county as well as Winston Salem. Everything from back to school supplies or clothes to free food from pantries, car repair programs, Christmas gifts and hot meals from soup kitchens may be served.
Grant money in Winston Salem area from community action
Low-income families, single parents veterans and others in Forsyth County and Winston Salem can get immediate and long term help from the local community action agency, Experiment in Self-reliance, Inc. The agency is located in Winston-Salem and can be reached at (336) 722-9400. They offer the resources noted here, as well as many more.
- Self-sufficiency program - A counselor will be assigned to the applicant. The counselor will work one on one to help the person become self-sufficient over the long term. For example, they will help a person find a job, develop life skills, and more.
- In addition, clients may also receive financial assistance and cash grants as part of their individual case plans. The assistance can help them pay bills over the short term. Such assistance may include free childcare assistance, tuition and books for improving education, transitional housing, money for transportation and more. Also emergency assistance is also available in some circumstances, in the interest of preventing clients from becoming homeless or in other crisis situations. Emergency assistance can include grants for utility bills or funds to pay rent.
- NC Saves - Forsyth County residents can receive debt counseling, credit card help, budgeting skills, and more. Participants in this program may also be eligible to become ESR clients. This can provide them with intensive case management services, including budget counseling, tools to help them get out of debt, and basic economic literacy training. Click here to find other ways to find help with credit card debt.
- Money budgeting, budging, and credit repair is offered. The free financial counseling program emphasizes savings, asset building, debt reduction, budgeting, and wealth accumulation, and provides participants with the tools to help them become financially stable, eliminate debt, and eventually become economically self-sufficient over the long term.
All of those services, and more, are offered by ESR - Experiment in Self-reliance. They also focus on offering referrals and other support. Find more Experiment in Self-reliance resources.
Emergency financial assistance to help with electric bills, housing and more
Crisis Control Ministry offers emergency financial help as well as free items. People who are faced with having their utility service turned off, or who may be evicted or threatened with homeless can turn to Sunnyside and Crisis Control Ministry for assistance. The non-profit charity organization provides free grants, counseling, financial help, and referrals to other resources to people who are at or near the point of utility cutoff and eviction from their homes.
- There is also emergency electric, light, and gas bill help in Forsyth County NC. Most of the people seeking financial aid are doing so for the first time. In addition to possible funds for low-income families, single moms or veterans to pay their bills, Crisis Ministry has other support such as free food, clothes, gas vouchers and more. Sunnyside can provide financial help at a maximum of once every six months, and the amount of money that they will typically provide is equivalent to the amount that is needed to prevent cutoff or eviction. In addition, families should apply early.
- Crisis Control makes financial-assistance decisions on an individual-case basis. There are usually hundreds of people assisted with their utility bills and/or rent each year.
- Many more people get free food, school items for kids or adults getting a GED, a box of groceries, or vouchers to get clothes or other stuff. They also help students get ready for the school year with free supplies, and learn more on a back to school giveaway.
Call them at (336) 724-7875 to learn more or apply. The address is 200 10th St E, Winston-Salem, NC 27101. Or learn more on financial aid from Crisis Control Ministry.
Rent money and security deposit assistance helps low income families or the homeless in Forsyth County. In addition to the organizations listed above, find how to get rental assistance from non-profits that specialize in meeting housing needs. The main goal is to help people avoid evictions and homelessness. Find more rent help in Winston Salem area.
Payment plans for water bills, including extensions, may be available in the county and Wintson Salem North Carolina. Customers that have shown a past payment history may qualify for assistance on their water and sewer bills. Or get a referral to a non-profit. Click more details water bill help Forsyth County.
The Forsyth County Salvation Army supplies basic human necessities such as a homeless shelter, free food and groceries, and clothing. In addition, financial assistance can help with past due rent, utility and air conditioning bill payments or security/utility deposits. They also also have free summer camps for kids in Winston Salem, mobile medial clinics and general referrals.
- The Salvation Army provides free motel vouchers, transitional housing and case management for homeless families and single women across the county. Various holiday programs are provided too, and can include Christmas meals and gifts for children, as well as Thanksgiving food baskets or back to school supplies. Call 336-723-6366 for more information. Additional details on Salvation Army assistance programs in Forsyth County.
Centenary United Methodist Church works with volunteers and Community Ministries in Forsyth County. They try to offer free food, Power Lunches, or referrals to partners that offer financial aid. In some cases loans are issued for paying bills or other needs such as rental costs, utility bills, medications, or security deposits for the homeless. They are also part of the Loaves and Fishes faith based group. Location is 646 W Fifth Street, Winston Salem, NC 27101, dial (336) 724-6311, or read more on Centenary United Church programs.
Kernersville-East Forsyth emergency assistance – The organization has fuel, free food or groceries, utilities, rent, and vouchers for medications. There are also free bag lunches or meals for the low income or homeless. More on soup kitchens.
- In general, an eviction notice is needed for some of the assistance available. Or proof of income and budget to help plan long term stability. Address is 431 West Bodenhamer Street, Kernersville, North Carolina 27284-2502. Call (336) 996-5401
Experiment in Self-Reliance offers transitional housing in Winston Salem. While the goal is to proactively stop homeless, for these needed lodging there are some low income apartments and housing units. Some are for the recently evicted or families too. A security deposit or rent payment, based on income levels, as well as self-sufficiency workshops are required. (336) 722-9400.
Sunnyside Ministry of the Moravian Church, located at 319 Haled Street, has programs for the working poor. They offer free food and financial aid in Forsyth County. Money may be offered for paying rent, utilities, and even medications. Some clients are also single moms, and other vulnerable households can contact the charity. Call (336) 724-7558.
Homeless prevention and rapid rehousing helps tenants, homeowners, and homeless people. Housing & Urban Development, charitable agencies, and human service organizations work to stop homelessness and evictions in the community. They offer financial help for paying bills or housing needs along with social services.
- The aid is for low income families as well as those at or near poverty levels. Eviction help is also for single moms and the underemployed in Winston Salem. While the availability of grants for rent or water bills is limited, some clients can be given access to case management no matter the situation. More on Forsyth County homeless prevention.
St. Peter's Family Support Program offers a program to develop community leaders. This includes job-readiness skills and providing information on community resources. While limited, the agency may have emergency financial assistance for paying rent and/or utilities. 3643 Old Lexington Road, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27107, call (336) 784-1887
Forsyth County DSS - Department of Social Services offers several different public aid and government assistance programs. These can be either federal government or state of North Carolina resources. Examples of the available programs include some of those that are in highest demand, such as SNAP food stamps and low income energy bill assistance/LIHEAP.
- Get help paying utility bills (both during the winter and summer) from the Winston-Salem Low income energy assistance program (LIEAP). this federal government funded provides a one-time/year cash payment to help eligible families/individuals pay their summer cooling and winter heating bills. Call (336) 727-2850.
Medical and child care is available in Winston Salem and across the county from Family and Children's Medicaid program as well as subsidized day care. Many other government programs are available from social workers from Temporary Economic Assistance and Maintenance. More on public assistance in Forsyth County.
AIDS Care Service helps people and their families that are living with HIV find decent, affordable, long-term housing in Forsyth County. In addition, apply for emergency funding for assistance with paying rent and utilities. 995 Northwest Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27101, telephone (336) 777-0116
Catholic Charity churches are located in Winston Salem. They assist the poor, single mothers, veterans as well as low income families. There are burial services as well as free food, clothes, and school items. There is also help for veterans as well as emergency financial aid for bills or rent. Long term counseling around housing needs, ESL or child reading classes, as well as education may be arranged. Or get other general case management for financial issues. More on Catholic Charities assistance programs Forsyth County.
Winston-Salem Office can help families facing a crisis. The government provides financial assistance for paying rent, utilities, fuel, prescription medications, and offers free food. Disconnection or eviction notices are required. Call (336) 724-7453 or reach the Kernersville office at (336) 996-5401.
King Outreach Ministry may provide some limited coverage to Forsyth County residents. Or they have referrals to churches and charities in the region. Clothing, money for food, toys and more are available. Call (336) 983-4357.
Legal representation and advice from lawyers is offered. People with no money, the working poor and seniors will get consultations. Legal Aid of North Carolina-Winston is a non-profit law firm that provides free legal advice and representation. There is help civil legal matters (including foreclosures, family law, domestic violence, landlord/tenant cases and consumer law) to low income clients in Winston Salem. The office is at 102 W 3rd St #460, Winston-Salem, NC 27101. Phone: (866) 219-5262.
The Winston-Salem Urban League provides various social services. The non-profit can help people find a job or start a business. The agency offers career as well as job finding services, including pre-employment training, resume review and preparation, as well as help building networks. They also offer referral for African-Americans, the disadvantaged, low income individuals, disabled adults and other minorities in the area. Learn about high paying jobs, entry level work and more.
- Short term employment can be arranged too for Urban League or others in Winston Salem. These include online tools, side gigs, part time work and so much more. All of them are for short term relief. As one example, find emergency cash. Or the main office is at 201 W 5th St, Winston-Salem, NC 27101. Phone: (336) 717-1223.
Charities that give away free stuff
Forsyth County non-profit clothing closets and free furniture banks distribute goods to the needy, low income, and children. The inventory depends on donations and fund raisers. Examples of what may be provided includes free clothes, Christmas toys and clothes, school items, and personal hygiene goods. Low income families may also get furniture for a home or apartment. Seasonal programs are also available from the clothing and furniture banks. Click free clothing centers, furniture and school supplies in Winston Salem.
Free charitable holiday assistance is for low income families. For families that are struggling, they can apply for a free Christmas toy for their child or maybe an article of clothing. Other residents of the county can inquire into a meal at Thanksgiving or Christmas, or senior citizens may request home delivery. Learn where to seek free holiday and Christmas help in Forysth County.
Debt management, free credit repair and auto loan help
Financial Pathways of the Piedmont offers consumers a debt management program. The non-profit agency employs Certified Credit Counselors who will review your financial situation. They offer relief with car payments, credit card debts, medical bills and more. The Winston Salem NC credit counselors can conduct a financial analysis on your behalf to determine your debt repayment capability and together you can explore your options for improving your finances, including for auto loans too. Or read more on non-profits that offer low income auto loan help.
- They will negotiate with your creditors on your behalf, including credit card companies or payday loan organizations. The staff at the non-profit will also establish a cooperative plan to eliminate your debt. The plan will lower your monthly payments, reduce interest rates, improve your credit scores, and even waive any fees. Dial 336-896-1191
Homeowners who are behind on their mortgage payments, or facing a foreclosure, can turn to Financial Pathways of the Piedmont. The professionals at this organization are credit counselors who can help with debt issues, but who are also certified to deal with mortgages as well as possible foreclosures.
At the agency there are Housing Counselors approved through the NC Association of Housing Counselors and also the Affordable Housing Coalition. In addition, the agency is a HUD approved. They can help people by using the North Carolina foreclosure mediation program, negotiate directly with lenders, and guide people through tools at their disposal that can be used to save their homes. Call 336-896-1191, or read up on foreclosure mediation in North Carolina.
Free medical care, health and dental
One agency has the objective of providing early, high quality and free access to medical care for those residents of Forsyth County and Winston Salem who cannot afford to pay for their medical and hospital bills. The health clinic, known as Community Care Center (760-1234), is staffed by volunteer healthcare professionals, doctors, nurses and other non-medical volunteers who have an interest in the health and well-being of the local community.
- Financial aid, including charitable resources and government grants, are also offered for existing bills. As medical debt is a leading cause of bankruptcy. Find more details on help with paying hospital bills.
Hispanic Clinic, Novant Health helps people of all races. Located in Winston-Salem North Carolina. It is a free Healthcare clinic that is staffed by retired Novant Health employees, medical professionals, nurses, and physicians. Call (336) 718-5000.
In addition to the locations above, a few other dental and medical centers in Forsyth County provide free care to the low income, unemployed, and individuals with no health insurance. Find the phone numbers and addresses of free community clinics in Winston Salem and the county.
Cancer support resources are offered to the low-income and uninsured. Cancer Services, Inc. provides financial assistance, physical support, grants, and emotional support for individuals with cancer and the agency also provides community education on all types of cancer. Click here to learn about other ways to get help for cancer expenses, or dial 336-760-9983. The address is 3175 Maplewood Ave, Winston-Salem, NC 27103.
Winston-Salem based Fair Housing Enforcement, Winston-Salem Human Relations Department ((336) 727-2429) is a HUD approved Fair Housing Enforcement Office that can direct people to foreclosure prevention programs, and resources to help with landlord / tenant issues and evictions.
Free food assistance in Forsyth County and Winston-Salem NC
AGAPE Care and Share provides food items and groceries free of charge to families and individuals in need of help. There is also meals on Wheels and baby formula in Winston Salem. Families are eligible every 60 days for food assistance. The number is (336) 744-4004, or the charity is at 3650 Patterson Ave G, Winston-Salem, NC 27105.
Christ Rescue Temple food pantry - The charity has groceries for children and seniors as well as the working poor in Winston Salem. There are also Christmas and holiday meals. Phone number is (336) 722-9841, or location is 1500 N Dunleith Ave, Winston-Salem, NC 27105.
- Other food banks and soup kitchens include New Jerusalem Church (phone (336) 723-9743), Morris Chapel (dial (336) 595-8101) as well as Sunnyside Ministry (dial (336) 724-7558).
However there are dozens of other non-profit food pantries in the county that offer groceries, clothing or benefits, such as food stamp applications. Many also have soup kitchens for meals too. For details, locate Winston Salem and Forsyth County free food pantries.
Related Content From Needhelppayingbills.com