latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Job Training

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Community Health Centers

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website


Rent assistance in Winston Salem and Forsyth County.

Find where to get emergency rent assistance in Forsyth County and Winston Salem. Below is a listing of churches, non-profits, and government financial assistance as well as free eviction prevention programs. There may be grants, loans, or legal aid. Low income or struggling families need to call or apply at these agencies rent or security deposit help. While funding is always limited, and income criteria will need to be met, it is possible to get grants or other financial assistance to help with housing expenses.

Whether you are unemployed, facing a temporary hardship, or are low income, the organizations below may be able to provide you with rental assistance. The funds can be used to pay back rent, future payments, move in costs, or security deposits for a new, safe home. Non-profits can also coordinate other housing solutions as well in Forsyth County, such as transitional housing or shelter.

In addition to offering money to pay rent, many of the organizations will provide individuals with case management and advice to help them gain long term self-sufficiency. Also call for referrals to other local Winston Salem charities and get help in applying for government low income housing or rental assistance, such as section 8 housing vouchers.

Crisis Control Ministries - There are two locations in Forsyth County. These non-profits can provide emergency rental assistance, fuel, and cash assistance for basic needs, such as housing. Call either location for help. 431 West Bodenhamer Street, Kernersville, North Carolina, 27284-2502, phone 336-996-5401. 200 East 10th Street, Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27101-1512, call 336-724-7453. Or learn more on Crisis Control Ministry rent help.

Family Caregiver Support Program - The Older Americans Act created this program to provide support to family caregivers. It is generally for the disabled or senior citizens. 400 West 4th St, Suite 400, Winston-Salem, NC, 27101, 336-761-2111, ext 130

Regional Consolidated Services - Covers several counties in North Carolina. While mostly offers weatherization and energy assistance, can provide referrals and information on housing assistance. (336) 629-5141.




Work First Family Assistance (WFFA) - The Department of Social Services agency works with individuals and families to provide temporary economic assistance, including rent, and assists the low income in meeting basic needs. A combination of federal and state grants are used for expenses such as rent and other bills. 741 North Highland Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC 27101, call 336-703-3802.

Salvation Army Winston Salem - Forsyth County Emergency Assistance Program
Location is 1255 N Trade Street
Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27101
(336) 722-8721 or (336) 722-9597
This is another center to try for homeless shelter, emergency rent or utility help, free furniture and more. The Winston Salem office may have government grants to assist with rental expenses for clients with an eviction notice. They also operate shelters for the homeless, have referrals to local emergency loan programs or housing agencies, and other support.

  • Another Salvation Army office is at 901 N. Cleveland Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC 27101. The phone number is 336-723-6366. People of all income and backgrounds can apply for emergency rent help, if you have an eviction notice. Various social services are administered too, as well as case management. More on Salvation Army assistance in Winston Salem.

Forsyth County Department of Social Services - Adult Services - Winston-Salem
Government office address - 741 N Highland Ave
Winston-Salem, NC 27102
Telephone - (336) 703-3501
Administers a number of homeless prevention and rapid rehousing programs, emergency rent assistance, low income housing, and section 8 vouchers. Much of this is part of the states cash assistance.

St. Peter’s Family Support Program has limited funding. When available, and qualified, apply for emergency rent help, moving assistance, money for utilities (to stop an eviction) and more. The faith based charity, which is at 3643 Old Lexington Road, Winston-Salem, NC 27107, will work to stop homelessness, regardless of religion. Call the church at 336-784-1887 for information on financial help for rent.





Experience in Self Reliance (SELF)
Location is 3480 Dominion Street
Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27105
Phone: (336) 722-9400
The regional community action agency. The main housing program is ESR, including transitional housing. They can direct the low income to poverty fighting programs, emergency rental or utility bill help, and other services. Find other ways to get rent help from Experience in Self Reliance.

  • ESR also offers additional support from the Self Sufficiency Program. The address is 1550 University Court, Winston Salem, NC 27101. Call (336) 722-9400. In addition to the rent help (above), the non-profit also offers free case management and support to clients. This may include transitional housing, motel vouchers and information on more permanent options.

Housing Authority of Winston Salem
625 W. 6th Street
Winston Salem, North Carolina 27101
Dial 336-727-8330
Among other services, this agency runs the section 8 housing voucher program for Forsyth County. Services include counseling, information on rent programs, public housing for the very low income and finance from low interest loans. Or try the office at 500 W 4th St, Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27101. Phone (336) 727-8500

Moravian Church in America Southern Province, (Sunnyside Ministry)
Address of church - 319 Haled Street
Winston Salem, North Carolina 27127
Call 336-724-7558

Forsyth County Legal Aid
Main office is at 102 West Third Street, Suite 460
Winston Salem, North Carolina 27101
(336) 725-9162
Lawyers offer free advice on stopping evictions and landlord/tenant mediation. The goal is to resolve any disputes over delinquent rent or unsafe housing issues and to keep the family housed.





Kernersville Ministries - Another crisis organization, and may have emergency assistance in Forsyth County. Rent help may be offered in an emergency, along with other resources. 431 West Bodenhamer Street, Kernersville, NC 27284-2502, Phone 336-996-5401

Sunnyside Ministries offers General Financial Assistance
Location is 319 Haled Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27127
Dial (336) 724-7558

Centenary United Methodist Church
Main address is 646 W 5th St
Winston Salem, NC 27101
(336) 724-6311

Winston Salem, NC Rent Assistance Northwest Piedmont Council Of Governors
Winston Salem, North Carolina - 27101-2835

Center Point Human Services - Homeless Prevention
Main address 4045 University Pkwy
Winston-Salem, NC 27106
Phone: (336) 714-9100
A regional housing and homeless prevention agency. Everything from information on government grants to help with rent to free motel vouchers, case management, budgeting, or storage cost help is offered. Also rapid rehousing, including security deposit assistance, may be available in Forsyth County.

Housing Placement Program, AIDS Care Service
P.O. Box 21373
Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27120
Call the non-profit at (336) 777-0116
Offers solutions, including rent, shelter, and housing, for AIDs and HIV patients.

Government funded homeless prevention - Resources to help low income tenants with an eviction notice include grants for rent, water, or utility bills as well as non-monetary support. This includes legal aid, vouchers to pay for lodging in a motel, and rental subsidies for single moms or the disabled. Read more on getting eviction help in Forsyth County.

Winston-Salem Human Relations Department - Fair Housing Enforcement
101 North Main Street, City Hall
Winston-Salem, NC 27102
Office number - (336) 727-2429
The goal of this agency is to ensure there is no housing discrimination taking place by landlords, in particular for single mothers, minorities, or the elderly.







Bethesda Center for the Homeless
930 N Patterson Avenue
Winston Salem, North Carolina 27101-1546
Telephone - (336) 722-9951
The organization partners with and receives some funding from the United Way Agency. Case managers coordinate programs for homeless persons and provides services including basic needs, spiritual guidance, and information. Referrals are made for housing.

Financial Pathways of the Piedmont provides free counseling, budgeting, and referrals only to loan or rent programs. This non-profit focuses more on building self-sufficiency. The office is at 8064 N Point Blvd, Ste 204, Winston Salem, NC - 27106. Main number is (336) 896-1191.


By Jon McNamara

Additional Local Programs

Financial Help Near You

Rent Payment Assistance Near You

Free Food Near You

Utility Assistance Near You

Free Stuff Near You




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site