Lake County Florida assistance programs.
Utility bill assistance
The City of Leesburg Florida offers programs for those who seek utility bill assistance if they meet certain income or other guidelines. In addition the city, other agencies and groups throughout the area will provide help with paying bills. Cash funds and grants paid to those by CURE - which is Leesburg’s utility bill assistance program - state agencies and other local charity organizations totaled about $160,000 in utility payments to the city since October 2008. Churches also provide help to those in need of aid. Dial 352-314-8733.
As an example of where else to turn to, St. Vincent de Paul in Eustis provides grants. They get some money of the money they distribute from Progress Energy to pass out to those in need of help. Progress' money helps many customers in the county, but other can apply for help from any of the various programs available in the area. Dial (352) 589-2603.
Health care clinics
Receive access to medical, dental, and other health care services on a low cost, or sliding fee scale. Community Health Centers, Inc. (CHC) is the organization that runs the program and local clinics, and these facilities are available to all local community residents, regardless of their income, financial or health insurance status. The CHC clinic organizations offer patients access to a reduced sliding medical fee schedule based on a person's total household income and family size. This facility is a non-profit organization that provides patients with access to preventive dental, medical, and pharmaceutical services at ten practice locations throughout Central Florida, including and Leesburg and Lake County. Call the center at (352) 435-6699.
Free debt and mortgage assistance
Tens of thousands of Florida homeowners are facing a foreclosure, and/or are struggling with paying credit card and medical debts. CredAbility, a consumer credit counseling agency, offers these individuals with access to several different programs. Dial 800.251.2227.
- Debt Management Plan (DMP) - Speak to a counselor to explore this option, which can help with credit card debts, and well as medical and education expenses. The DMP program will provide you with the ability to start paying down your outstanding debt, waive fees, minimizing your payments, interest rates, deal with credit card companies, and address related fees and more.
- Foreclosure programs - If you are behind on your mortgage, and if you need Mortgage Default or Delinquency Counseling, HUD approved counselors can help you through the foreclosure process.
- Budget and credit programs - Learn how to save and budget money, and improve credit scores.
Crisis and emergency programs in Lake County Florida
Contact Lake County Salvation Army at 352.365.0079. They provide low income, unemployed, and qualified individuals with support. Clients can get access to a food pantry, occasional utility and summer cooling bill help, housing assistance, and referrals. The Salvation Army of Lake County is a leading non-profit charity in the region.
This organization helps millions of people across the nation every year, and thousands in Lake County as well as the cities of Clermont and Leesburg. Other resources offered may include information and referral, emergency rent assistance, and help for disaster victims assistance. Holiday as well as free Christmas assistance and gifts may also be offered in Lake County Florida. Call 352-365-0079, or learn more.
Christmas, Thanksgiving and holiday assistance is widely available. A number of sites, including churches and charities, help the low income and working poor. They may have free meals, gift baskets, toys, clothing, and other aid. More details.
Lake Community Action Agency, Inc. offers low income and other qualified individuals with access to various services and resources. They run grant programs, refer people to both Florida and federal government programs, and provide information on charities and non-profits. (352) 357-3497.
- Emergency Assistance - This community action agency provides individuals with rent help, mortgage and utility bill assistance, referrals and counseling to those experiencing financial difficulties or a hardship.
- Weatherization - This federal government created energy conserving program provides insulation, windows and doors for income eligible households, weather stripping, and repair of crack and seals. Improvements made, which are free, will reduce loss of warm or cold air, increase comfort and protect the health of occupants while lowering utility bill and fuel costs.
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance - This so called Home Energy Bill Assistance option will assist qualified and eligible households in paying for home energy heating and cooling bills, as well as crisis energy assistance and prevent a disconnection.
- Social services and counseling - This program will assist low-income families and the unemployed by working with them to develop a plan of action that is uniquely designed for each family in particular situations and helps them become self-sufficient.
- Additional support is offered too, including referrals to job placement, financial aid, and other Lake County resources. Read more Lake County Florida community action.
Department of Children and Families processes applications for many state and federal government programs, including public assistance. Some of the resources available may include food stamp applications, Medicaid, unemployment compensation, rent, and housing. Call 352-742-6107, or find more details on public aid in Lake County Florida.
Leesburg Neighborhood Center - Provides one time financial assistance, weatherization, utilities, info & referral, FEMA grants, and low income energy assistance from LIHEAP. 352-787-1156.
St Vincent DePaul Charity is make up on volunteers and local churches. They offer social serves to the poor and less fortunate. Assistance includes financial aid, food, prescription medicine, and one time utilities for Lake County residents. Dial 352-589-2603 for intake.
Urban League - Supporting Tavares, Lake County, and all of Central Florida, the non-profit administrates many assistance programs. They offer Homebuyer Education as well as counseling for people facing foreclosure. Credit counseling can also help them get back on track over the long term.
Tenants that are behind on their payments can learn about eviction prevention, including possible funds for paying rent. The homeless can learn about security deposit assistance, and job training or placement is available to anyone that qualifies. Click more information.
Lake County Jewish Family Services provides assistance in the Orlando, Lake County and central Florida area. Emergency financial support may be offered for housing issues (such as rent, utility bills or a security deposit). Other resources include case management, referrals to job training, free food, and more. Loans for bills or basic needs may be issued in some cases. Continue.
First Baptist Church of Leesburg provides free food, groceries, meals, and maybe even financial assistance. Call the church at 352-787-1005 for information.
Christian Care Center may offer financial or information on government benefits. 352-314-8733
First United Methodist of Tavares is another non-profit to try. Dial 352-343-2761.
Agape Ministries, which is run in care of Lake Eustis Christian Church. Financial support, food, clothing, and more is administered. Seniors, single parents, and others at risk are a focus. 352-357-2351
Help for back rent as well as transitional housing are used to tackle homelessness. Residents can contact one of many agencies. There are non-profits, churches, and even the county may offer public support for rental, security deposit or housing expenses. More information.
Lake County Government Housing Department can help the homeless and low income access low income housing, among other services. One resource is section 8, which offers a rental subsidy or voucher to your landlord. Funds are used to pay rent and maybe even energy costs. Address is 1300 South Duncan Drive. Telephone number is 352-742-6540.
South Lake Angels of Mercy, Inc. provides free food and groceries to income qualified families. Other aid includes a prescription drug card, limited rental assistance and free clothes in certain circumstances. The main office is at 1330 Millholland Street, Clermont Florida. Dial 352-394-4094.
Mid Florida Community Services also provides coverage to Lake County. Most of the assistance is for the elderly and people over the age of 60. Programs include low cost home-delivered meals, respite care
and utility bill assistance. Other resources include case management, congregate meals, homemaking, and personal care. Telephone 352-326-3540.
Basic needs, including clothing and referrals
Christian Care Benevolence Center provides a food pantry, holiday meals, and clothes to the low income and children. 352-787-5289.
First Baptist Church of Tavares - Dial the site at 352-343-7131.
Lake Cares has clothing, food, and other basic needs. Call 352-383-0100.
First Baptist of Umatilla Crisis Center, 352-669-3214
Transitional and low income housing - Programs can help people that are about to be evicted and/or the homeless in Lake County Florida. Receive a place to stay, information on programs to obtain self-sufficiency, emergency funds for food, rent or security deposits, and other support. Continue.
Food assistance programs and centers
Regardless of your income, religion, or background, families in Lake County can turn to local churches, food banks and pantries for meals, clothing, and groceries. Every year thousands of individuals receive some form of assistance from the facilities. Two of the leading centers to call are listed below. However there are many other food pantries and hunger prevention resources. Or click here for additional food bank locations.
- Food Pantry Lake Cares - This center is in Mount Dora and can be reached at (352) 383-0100. Several resources are offered here.
- Christian Food Pantry - Phone number is (352) 259-0788. Helps people of all backgrounds.