latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Delaware County Pennsylvania assistance programs.

In Delaware County, there are dozens of charities, churches, and government cash programs that offer financial help. If a low income family needs money to help pay rent or a security deposit, or emergency funds to keep their heat or electricity on, there is assistance. Also find how to apply for job programs, disability, transportation assistance, free food, and many other forms of financial aid.

Find resources and programs to help with bills, rent, and employment

Thousands of Delaware County residents are struggling in this weak economy. The Community Action Agency of Delaware County, Inc. (CAADC) has as its primary goal the objective of assisting individuals and families with short term difficulties, bills, and expenses and to also ensure that they have access to programs to help them over the long term. They can provide grants, bill and rent assistance, food, job training, and in general help individuals move towards economic self-sufficiency. Some of what they offer includes the following, and find information on other non-profit agency assistance programs.

Housing and rental assistance

The rental assistance program that is available by CAADC will provide a one time cash grant to people in Delaware County and the Philadelphia area who are facing an eviction, families or individuals that are near homeless, and funds are even available for people who are currently homeless. Qualified households can receive the grant that is to be used for the first month's rent, back rent to avoid an eviction, or a security deposit.




The average size of the grant provided by this program is equal to one month's rent. Funds are also available for people who are currently homeless, and that money is to help them  move into a new residence or apartment. CAADC offers many financial services for housing needs.

Food aid

For those struggling to provide for their next meal for themselves or their family, food assistance is provided to assist those residents in meeting their basic nutritional needs. Some of the services that are offered include food vouchers, distribution of donated baked products, and referrals to local food banks.





The Food Participation Project will also assist and guide Delaware County and Philadelphia families with enrollment in the Food Stamp Program. In addition, the agency also offers a feeding program that serves more than 200 people each and every day at the Life Center which is located in Upper Darby.

Utility and heating assistance

Receive a grant to pay an energy bill, and get information and access to resources to help you lower your energy costs. One objective is to ensure people reduce their heating and utility bills from conservation, and the CAADC organization provides education and free counseling on energy use and cost-saving measures that people can implement. A free usage analysis is completed on someone’s home or apartment which shows when and why their energy costs are high. Regarding the grants to pay the bills, free cash grants are also available to assist families and individuals with the payment of delinquent heating and utility bills and the money can also be used to restore your service if it has been disconnected. This program is available to all customers of PECO Energy Company, Chester Water Authority, as well as Philadelphia Suburban Water Company.

Water Conservation measures and save on your water bill

The CAADC agency also implements water conservation measures, including such free upgrades as plumbing retrofits in households that are serviced by Chester Water Authority as well as Aqua PA. Read about other ways to get help with water bills. Continue.

Save money from Weatherization & In-Home energy conservation upgrades

The Community Action Agency of Delaware County also administers numerous weatherization services to low and moderate income eligible households. The weatherization assistance program was created to help families reduce their household energy costs through a variety of free home upgrades that focus on energy conservation measures which can include: attic insulation, caulking, weather-stripping, wall insulation, insulation of hot water tanks, attic ventilation, oil and gas heater repair or replacement, and primary window replacement.

The agency is located at 2nd & Orange Sts, Media, PA 19063, (610-891-5101). Contact them to learn more or apply for any program.

Community Action Agency of Delaware County Inc.- The organization has recently received a $10,000 donation from the major oil company ConocoPhillips. The funds will be used to support the non-profit agency’s efforts to help families in Delaware County who are facing a crisis, who need emergency help with bills, or who are striving for self-sufficiency.




CAADC will use the grant funds to pay for its assistance programs including debt assistance programs, emergency shelter, rental assistance, utility and heating bill assistance, weatherization, financial literacy education, budgeting programs and employment and job training programs.

All of the resources and services referenced above, and more, are available. Continue with Delaware County Community Action Agency financial assistance programs.

Free dental and health care services

ChesPenn Health Services (610-485-3800) offers all people, regardless of their ability to pay, comprehensive family health and dental care, and the programs serve adults and children in the area. They also run an in-house pharmacy, provide access to Social Services, provide general check ups, and a wide variety of other medical services to low income and people with no or poor health coverage.

To learn about other local clinics, contact Delaware Valley Community Health Network, Inc. The organization is made up of a group of local, federally funded health centers and community clinics that provide a variety of comprehensive health and medical services. Individuals and families with or without medical health insurance may apply for care and assistance. There is a sliding scale fee for uninsured applicants, based on the patients income. Dial (215) 684-5344 to learn about clinics and doctors in your area of Delaware County.

Lions Club of Delaware Valley - This agency assists low-income, elderly or disabled individuals with eyeglasses. It can coordinate both eye exams and well as distribute free eye ware. Occasionaly may have hearing tests and aids as well. Call 215.563.1679

Emergency assistance programs

The Salvation Army of Chester runs several programs for Delaware County residents. The services and resources they offer to qualified individuals range from access to a pantry through financial grants. Specifically, the assistance includes:

  • Rent and housing assistance : They offer financial assistance that may be needed to help people maintain their homes or apartments.
  • Food assistance : Turn to the agency if you need help keeping food on your table. Receive free groceries and even holiday meals.
  • Utility and heating bills : If you are faced with a disconnection of your utilities or water service, the agency can provide limited funding to help keep your service activated. Read more.
  • Other services include free back to school supplies, possible gasoline vouchers for employment, disaster relief and more.

Call the Salvation Army at (610) 874-0423. Or find more information on Salvation Army assistance in Delaware County.





Office of Adult Services of Delaware County works with community service agencies to administer various resources.  One key offering is the Homeless Services Coalition, which is for those facing eviction and the homeless. What may be offered includes loans or financial aid as a form of emergency rent help, utility bill assistance, or security deposits. Other aid includes case management, shelter and transitional housing. Free food, clothing, and other support is offered too. 20 S 69th St., Upper Darby, Pennsylvania, 19082, dial (610) 713-2115.

Veterans Multi-Service and Education Center offers the Supportive Service for Veteran Families (SSVF) in Delaware County. Aid is for very low-income Veterans and their families, and the program will help them access permanent housing.

Financial assistance or grants from SSVF can help with mortgage payments, back rent or utility expenses. Government support will provide financial support to move into a new home, and this may include rental and utility security deposits, or first month’s payment. Other assistance in Delaware County is low cost child care, transportation, medical bill assistance and referrals.

Project H.O.M.E. is another local non-profit that administers the SSVF. It offers every referenced above. (215) 232-7272.

To sign up for LIHEAP or learn about heating and utility bill assistance programs, contact Delaware County Assistance Offices at 701 Crosby Street in Chester, Pennsylvania. This government organization may also have information on other government aid such as food stamps or affordable day care programs, including Head Start. Look into various cash assistance resources. Call 610.447.5500.

Catholic Social Services, Southeastern Pennsylvania can provide assistance to people of all religions, provided they meet conditions. You should inquire if the non-profit has funding when calling. Receive a free, confidential meeting with a case manager or social worker to go over your situation and develop a plan. Apply for limited financial assistance towards mortgage or rent, based on funding. Some money may be offered for utility or heating bills. The social worker will also provide ongoing advocacy. 130 E 7th St, Chester, Pennsylvania, 19013. (610) 876 - 7101

Delaware County of PA Department of Public Welfare runs various government programs. Some examples include the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). This resource helps low income, seniors, and working poor people pay their heating bills through home heating energy assistance funds. Residents facing eviction can look into emergency payments for utilities, rent, mortgage, or security deposits. The county will also work with your landlord to maximize your chances for staying in your rented home or apartment. Case managers will also try helping move you out of shelter into an affordable apartment. Call (610) 447 – 5500.

Counseling from Center in the Park – Staff offer referrals and support. This can help with needs such as SSDI disability Social Security concerns, PACE applications, housing issues and repairs, and the Pennsylvania Property Tax/Rent Rebate Program. Dial (215) 848 – 7722.

Domestic Abuse Project of Delaware County runs shelters and transitional housing. Other support services for domestic abuse victims includes relocation assistance and referrals to free legal aid. The center is at 14 W 2nd St, Media, Pennsylvania, 19063, (610) 565-6272. Another location is in Chester. Dial (610) 497-6737.

Emergency rent assistance and homeless prevention - Churches, non-profits, and government sponsored agencies operate across the greater Delaware County Pennsylvania area. Cash grants and financial assistance may be available to low income families to help them pay their rent if they are faced with an eviction or homelessness. Priority is usually given to families with children, the elderly, and the disabled. Click here for more details.

Free food - People throughout the region can stop by or call their local food pantry for help. Dozens of centers, food banks, and charities distribute assistance to the needy every day. Food, meals, groceries, and other aid is offered. Continue.

Child care assistance in Delaware County

To learn about day care and child care providers, or to learn about programs that can provide help with child care costs, dial 1.800.831.3117.





Foreclosure and debt counseling

Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Delaware Valley, Inc. (phone 215.563.5665) provides residents with budget, debt reduction, credit and money management counseling and advice. They are also a HUD approved foreclosure agency. The agency provides counseling on debt management and debt reduction and elimination plans.

Housing Association of the Delaware Valley Information Program can also provide foreclosure prevention, and information on how to get help paying your mortgage. Call 215.978.0224.


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site