latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Rent help in Delaware County Pennsylvania

Several agencies in Delaware County help residents who may be facing eviction pay their rent or provide assistance to the homeless in the form of security deposit assistance or financial aid to pay security deposits. The churches, charities, and government organizations coordinate a wide variety of emergency rental assistance programs and housing services to qualified low income families and individuals.

There may be help for tenants, including cash free cash grants, case management, housing assistance, emergency homeless shelter, and short term transitional housing. Most of the programs are focused on those who are faced with a crisis, such as a job loss, medical emergency, illness, or a sudden reduction in income. Applicants will also need to usually have an eviction notice and meet pre-defined low income standards and guidelines that are established by the Delaware County organizations.

The Delaware County Community Action Agency has a few offices around the county. The phone numbers of them are as follows. The Darby Office phone number is 610-583-9133, Chester can be reached at 610-874-8451 and the Media location can be contacted at 610-891-5101. Another site is 229 Norris St, Chester, PA 19013. Call (610) 872-4070.

Among services offered include employment/life skills training, housing, emergency shelter, and information on programs and resources that can help pay rent, security deposits, or help people avoid an eviction. Your local community action agency, no matter where you live, is always one of the best places to contact for financial assistance and support. Or read more on rent assistance from Delaware County Community Action Agency.

Domestic Abuse Project - Victims of domestic violence can access tenant-based transitional housing. Dial 610-565-6272, or a hotline that is open 24 hours can be called at 610-565-4590.

Office of Human and Adult Services – Senior citizens, the low income and the elderly may be able to use this agency. The government agency/non-profit, which can be reached at 610-713-2115, provides and also coordinates a wide variety of services, including housing as well as free government grant money for rent, to eligible families and individuals. Resources include case management, rent assistance, eviction prevention, emergency shelter, transitional housing.




The Homeless Services Coalition, or HHSC, is made of up various churches, agencies such as the Housing Authority, Catholic Charities, Pathways, and the County DSS. Find grants to help pay rent, free motel vouchers, budgeting help or job placement, loans, and also rent or housing for veterans or the disabled. A wide range of support is offered. Call 610-713-2365 for details.

Legal Aid of Delaware County and Southeastern Pennsylvania
The pro-bono office is at 419 Avenue of the States #605, Chester, PA 19013. Call (610) 874-8421
Low income tenants, immigrants, seniors, and the indigent can get free legal aid from attorneys around housing needs (evictions, foreclosures, utility disconnections, discrimination, etc.). Delaware County PA residents can get free epresentation in housing court, help mediating disputes with property owners/landlords, advice on applying for section 8 rent subsidies from HUD and other support.

Chester Pennsylvania Salvation Army.
151 W 15th St., Chester, Pennsylvania 19013. Call (610) 874-0423 and (610) 874-4266
Offers shelter, food, housing, and more. From time to time, based on funding, emergency rental assistance may be offered to tenants close to eviction.

SVDP - Saint Vincent supports Delaware County and nearby regions, including Philly. Get information on rent or utility help, free furniture, legal aid, utility bill help to stop evictions and other housing resources. Call 484-704-7153.

Family and Community Services is another option for homeless households or low income tenants facing eviction in Delaware County. Low income families with an eviction or pay or quite notice can get cash aid for rent or other housing costs, such as utilities.





There are also services that focus on persons with Mental Health or Substance Abuse. There is also an AIDS Housing Program, which offers permanent housing as well as medical or rent help for persons with HIV/AIDS. Telephone 610-566-7540 or or AIDS Care Group 610- 872-9101.

Catholic Social Services – Runs the Homeless Housing Resource Coordination program, provides counseling, free rent grants and much more. Address is 130 E. 7th St., Chester, Pennsylvania 610-876-7101.

Delaware County Housing Authority
1855 Constitution Ave #1, Woodlyn, Pennsylvania 19094. Call (610) 876-2521
The low income and families in/or near poverty can apply for section 8 housing voucher. There are also rent subsidies, emergency section 8 for the elderly or disabled, rent subsidized homes and other services offered. Other services available or referred to can include home repairs, housing vouchers, public assistance, and many other housing assistance programs or financial resources. learn how to apply for Pennsylvania emergency section 8 vouchers.

Office of Housing and Community Development, which is located in Media and can be reached at (610) 891-5425, offers homeless prevention as part of government grants from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

Upper Darby Office of Community Development is another government office to call for help in dealing with housing issues. Dial (610) 734-7613 or (610) 734-7716. They may offer some information on eviction and homeless prevention, emergency rent, moving costs, and longer term self-sufficiency. Chester Economic Development Authority ((610) 447-7850) offers similar services and support from One 4th Street, Chester, PA 19016.

Delaware County Department of Human Resources Homeless Services Coordinator administers homeless and rent assistance for the low income, unemployed, and those in a crisis. Dial (610) 713-2306. Call for information and applications.

Additional options for the homeless or those in need of rent or utility help include Holcomb Behavioral Health (610-352-8943), Horizon House, and Path Housing (610-328-1306)

Housing and free voucher programs in Delaware County

There are several charities, churches, and non-profits that operates homeless shelters as well as transitional housing programs in Delaware County Pennsylvania. To residents who are more stable, there may also be financial assistance programs to pay security deposits, moving or storage units costs or first months rent. Some may have free motel or hotel vouchers if/when the programs are full.

The non-profit Connect to Permanency offers Tenant-Based Transitional Housing for single adults. Applicants will need to have some sort of substance abuse disabilities or mental health issue. Stop by or dial 7200 Chestnut Street, Upper Darby, call 267-507-3970

A residential program for single pregnant women as well as women who survived domestic violence is offered by a charity known as Mothers Home. 51 N. MacDade Blvd., Darby, phone 610-583-4663. Receive case management and lodging from this charity organization.

Ralph Moses House provides single homeless men with access to transitional Housing and other facilities. Address is 2500 W. 10th Street, Chester, PA phone 610-859-3806





Wesley House Community Corporation has housing resources for both single mothers and families. The disabled can also be placed into an apartment. When stable, information on first months rent and/or security deposit grants may be offered.  The address is 701 Madison St, Chester, Pennsylvania 19013. Call (610) 872-2611.

Life Center Easter Delaware County is at 6310 Market St, Upper Darby, PA 19082. Dozens of families, including single parents with children, can access an emergency homeless shelter. Call (610) 734-577

By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page