Salvation Army assistance programs New York State.
The Salvation Army in New York administers a number of financial and emergency assistance program. Find everything from grants for paying rent to free back to school supplies, a homeless shelter or soup kitchen and even free furniture or Christmas toys. The support is combined with long term guidance. Get help from the Salvation Army near you in New York State.
The Salvation Army also has low cost thrift stores, provide free vouchers for gas, clothes, or furniture. They offer low-income families and the homeless in NYS a variety of services or resources to help them make it through a difficult period. Free seasonal items are offered too, ranging from school school supplies to Christmas toys or food and even more vouchers during the winter. Details on the assistance programs offered to from the New York Salvation Army are listed below, as well as the locations and phone numbers of centers near you.
Financial help, free food, meals, and basic needs from Salvation Army in NYS
Utility, heating, and water bill assistance is offered when people are faced with a disconnection of their services. The non-profit wants to help families who are faced with an emergency pay their bills and maintain their utilities. Salvation Army branches across New York seek to help struggling individuals and families maintain basic amenities and offer funds to pay a bill in a crisis.
Food and grocery assistance is offered from pantries and/or soup kitchens. Struggling families who need help with keeping food on their table can get help. Hungry people, regardless of your income or background can look into the various resources that are offered by the Salvation Army’s food banks or soup kitchens. They try not to turn any struggling family or needy person away.
- The Salvation Army provides assistance from their local New York centers. There may be free hot meals or emergency food boxes year-round for anyone in need. Free evening meals are available at various locations. Please contact your local Salvation Army center in New York for specific information on times and locations of these and find how to get help from food banks.
Low income and working poor may apply for food stamp support benefits at many local Salvation Army social service offices. Most locations have on site case managers that can provide individuals with eligibility pre-screening, assistance and give advice in filling out their application for food stamps.
Rent and housing assistance is available across New York from the Salvation Army. Many resources focus on preventing evictions, so emergency financial aid can be offered for families who are not homeless but who need a hand maintaining their current housing or paying their rent. Such housing assistance may come in the form of emergency rental grants or temporary housing. They can also referral people to other local non-profits or government programs such as section 8 housing vouchers. Get a section 8 application NY.
Free gasoline vouchers in New York State and transportation may be provided by the Salvation Army families too. This is not as common to receive, but from time to time vouchers for free gasoline or help for car repairs may be offered to someone who needs assistance. The Salvation Army services are for people to use who need support in getting to a job interview or doctor appointment.
Holiday assistance programs - The Salvation Army assists needy families across New York to ensure that their hardship is not suffered by their children during Christmas and other holidays. So they created programs such as Angel Tree and other programs to provide free Xmas toys and meals at Christmas or Thanksgiving.
- Salvation Army holiday Events – Holidays provide a sense of joy and tradition. Even in especially hard times, acknowledging holiday customs may provide a family with a sense of relief and peace. Because of this, The Salvation Army endeavors to spread hope year-round while also acknowledging religious and national holidays. Other Christmas assistance and events offered may include dinners, cards and gifts distributed to hospitalized youths and seniors, hot Thanksgiving meals, Easter baskets, and much more. Find a list of free Christmas gifts for kids.
- Holiday meals can be provided too for Thanksgiving or Christmas. This includes free turkey dinners. Also in certain cases volunteers may deliver food to seniors or disabled who are shut in or who can’t leave their home due to age or a medical condition.
Low income families, the working poor, and unemployed in New York can get stuff for free from the Salvation Army. The assistance may come in the form of vouchers, distribution of items from the charities thrift stores, and other means. If needed, find how free items for low income families can help in a crisis.
Senior programs are offered as well. The agency knows that people who are 55 years of age and older represent the fastest growing age category within New York State. So the Salvation Army is strongly committed to serving the needs of the nations aging in ways that support their continued honor and dignity.
- Seniors can be helped by the Salvation Army across New York in many ways. Some of the additional services offered include the Community Care Ministries (also called the League of Mercy) in which volunteer visitation program provides comfort and companionship to those who are elderly, invalid or otherwise shut-in. Some shelters or food programs also focus on the elderly, and these resources may be able to assist seniors with meeting their basic needs.
Salvation Army case management, self-sufficiency and employment programs
Employment services from the NY Salvation Army are offered at some locations. A case worker can provide access to a computer, information on local employers, and maybe resume review as well as free similar advice. While limited, vouchers may be offered to pay for gasoline or bus tokens if you need it for a job interview.
Long term support can be arranged by Salvation Army case workers in New York as well. As most of the financial aid from the charity is short term, emergency in nature. Or the food pantry can be used “indefinitely as well as their other services also have time limitations. For example, learn about TANF cash aid, SNAP food stamps, public housing from section 8 in NY, and much more. Salvation Army case workers can help with applications too. More on New York public assistance programs.
Salvation Army locations in New York
There are several county and city locations. The Salvation Army provides emergency assistance, free basic needs, holiday support as well as a thrift store. Many have a thrift store as well as food pantry. Other NEw York sites that may be near you are listed at the bottom of this page.
The Salvation Army of New York City: Greater New York Division
120 West 14th Street, New York, New York 10011-7393. Telephone - (212) 337-7200
Several locations are listed below. Dozens of assistance programs are offered from the sites, including food, shelter, housing, and much more for qualified New York City residents. They also have free seasonal help, including Angel Tree in NY as well as school supplies for kids.
A focus is on homeless prevention, including funds for paying rent and energy bills for struggling citizens. There are also emergency homeless shelters and motel rooms for adults are single mothers in the metro area. There are locations in Queens, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx and State Island
- Bronx (Tremont), 2121 Washington Avenue, Bronx, New York 10457-3241. Call (718) 584-6250
- Brooklyn (Bay Ridge), 252 86th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11209. Phone number is (718) 238-2991
- Brooklyn (Bedford Temple), 601 Lafayette Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11216. Phone number - (718) 622-0614
- Brooklyn (Brownsville). Address 280 Riverdale Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11212, Call (718) 345-7050. Food, hot meals, shelter, and other case management is provided.
- Brooklyn (Bushwick). Location - 1151 Bushwick Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11221. Main number is (718) 455-4102
- Brooklyn (Sunset Park). Address is 520 50th Street, Brooklyn, New York 11220. Telephone - (718) 438-1771
- New Rochelle, 22 Church Street, New Rochelle, New York 10801. Dial - (914) 632-5255
- New York (Central Citadel), 221 E. 52nd. Street, New York, NY 10022-6301. Call (212) 758-0763
- New York (Chinatown). Address: 225 Bowery, New York, NY 10002. Phone number - (212) 477-3719. Supports seniors and the low income in the lower part of Manhattan. Call the non-profit for referrals, housing, free Christmas meals, and information on other social services.
- New York (Harlem Temple), 540 Lenox Avenue, New York, NY 10037. Call (212) 862-3900
- New York (Manhattan Citadel). 175 East 125th Street, New York, New York 10035. Dial (212) 860-3200
- New York (The Temple). 132-136 West 14th Street, New York, New York 10011. Main phone (212) 242-7770
- New York (Times Square). 315 West 47th Street, New York, NY 10036. Call Dial - (212) 975-9988
- Queens (Astoria), 45-18 Broadway, Long Island City, NY 11103. Primary phone number is (718) 721-9046
- Queens (Borden Avenue Veterans Residence), Branch office of non-profit center is 21-10 Borden Avenue, Long Island City, New York 11101-4518. Call (718) 784-5690, 5689
- Queens (Flushing) Salvation Army Center. Main office - 142-50 32nd Avenue, Flushing, NY 11354 . Phone - (718) 762-9613. Serves hot meals and passes out boxes of food. Senior citizens may explore programs as well, such as Meals on Wheels.
- Queens (Jamaica Citadel), 90-23 161st Street, Jamaica, New York 11432-6107. Call (718) 297-4860, 5315
- Queens (Ridgewood Citadel), 69-23 Cypress Hills Street, Ridgewood, NY 11385. Dial (718) 497-4356
- Queens (Templo De Queens), Address - 86-07 35th Avenue, Queens, New York 11372. Dial (718) 335-3693, 335-1590
- Staten Island (Port Richmond). Location - 1295 Forest Avenue, Staten Island, New York 10302-2322. Dial (718) 442-2145, 2160 for information on resources.
- Staten Island (Stapleton). Address 15 Broad Street, Staten Island, NY 10304. Call (718) 448-8480
Beacon, New York services
Address: 372 Main Street, Beacon, New York 12508. Dial (845) 831-1253
Bronx (Citadel), Address: 425 East 159th Street, Bronx, NY 10451. Dial (718) 665-8472 for information
East Northport, NY - East Northport (Hispanic)
319 Clay Pitts Road, East Northport, NY 11731-3644
Main number - (631) 368-1170
Location is 66 Church Street, Freeport, New York 11520-3831
Primary phone number - (516) 378-4557
Hempstead (Citadel), NY
Location - 65 Atlantic Avenue, Hempstead, NY 11550
Dial (516) 485-4900
35 Cedar Street, Kingston, NY 12401
Main phone number is (845) 331-1803.
There are two towns in Orange County New York that are supported. They are listed below. Whether it is toys for tots for Christmas help, shelter, or other aid, the Salvation Army may offer the client various social services.
80 W. Main Street, Middletown, New York 10940 (Call (845) 343-0821 for service
- Newburgh, NY center of Salvation Army
Address: 234 Van Ness Street, Newburgh, New York 12550. Telephone - (845) 562-0413
117 Nelson Avenue
Peeksill, NY 10566-0408
Call (914) 737-0280
More of an upstate Salvation Army center. Can help the needy in an emergency.
Port Chester, NY
Main location is 55 Westchester Avenue, Port Chester, NY 10573
170 North Regent Street, Port Chester, NY 10573 (mail)
Telephone - (914) 939-2725
99 Ball Street, Port Jervis, NY 12771
Phone - (845) 856-3214, 4089
Branch office - 19 Pershing Avenue, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603-0415
Dial the center at (845) 471-1210
130 Osborne Avenue, Riverhead, NY 11901
Spring Valley, NY
179 N. Main Street, Spring Valley, NY 10977
Call the agency at (845) 352-9577
115 Wildey Street, Tarrytown, NY 10591
Call (914) 631-3871 for an application
Westbury, Long Island, NY
992 Prospect Avenue, Westbury, NY 11590-4882
Dial the branch at (516) 338-7265
White Plains, NY
16 Sterling Avenue, White Plains, New York 10606-2819
Salvation Army centers are located across Westchester County and provide emergency assistance, free food, shelter, referrals, and other support.
110 New Main Street, Yonkers, New York 10701
Main number - (914) 475-4478
The Salvation Army of Upstate New York: Empire State Division
200 Twin Oaks Drive
Syracuse, New York 13206-0148
Tel: (315) 434-1300
In addition to the centers listed here, there are additional Salvation Army sites. Everything from grants for housing (such as security deposit or shelter) is available along with free food or Fuel Fund applications
Albany Area Services
20 South Ferry Street, Albany, New York 12201-1787
Some of what is offered in Albany County includes low income housing, rent help/homeless prevention, and other financial aid.
Albany (Hispanic Tabernacle)
20 South Ferry Street, Albany, NY 12202
Phone number (518) 489-9489
Amsterdam, NY services
267 Market Street, Amsterdam, NY 12010
Phone (518) 842-9941
18 E. Genesee Street, Auburn, NY 13021
enter is located at 529 East Main Street
Batavia, NY 14020
Telephone - (585) 343-6284
127-131 Washington Street
Binghamton, NY 13901
Buffalo Area Services
In addition to the addresses and phone numbers listed above and below, the agency offers much more to the poor, unemployed, and low income in all boroughs, including all of Erie County NY. Free vouchers for clothing, holiday goods, funds for rent or housing and more are offered, as resources allow.
- Center location is 960 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14202-1197. Primary phone number - (716) 883-9800 or (716) 883-6255. One of the focuses in on heating bill assistance and keeping people warm during the winter.
- Buffalo (Kensington), 21 Westminster Avenue, Buffalo, New York 14215-0125. Telephone: (716) 832-2467
- Buffalo (Temple) office. Address: 187 Grant Street, Buffalo, New York 14213-0738. Telephone: (716) 883-0485
110 Saltonstall Street, Canandaigua, NY 14424-0510
Dial (585) 394-6968
300 Ontario Street, Cohoes, NY 12047-0453
Corning, New York
32 Denison Pkwy. East, Corning, NY 14830-0160
Dial this Salvation Army location at (607) 962-4681
138 South Main Street, Cortland, New York 13045-0781
Salvation Army statewide services are run. Shop for low cost goods at the thrift store, there is youth mentoring, school supplies, and Christmas meals and gifts too.
The Salvation Army office is at 704 Central Avenue, Dunkirk, NY 14048-0272
(716) 366-3701, 3705
414 Lake Street, Elmira, NY 14902-0293
Dial (607) 732-0314
Fulton, NY Salvation Army office
62 S. First Street, Fulton, New York 13069-0098
Dial (315) 593-8442
Location of center is 41 North Street
Geneva, NY 14456-0532
Phone number is (315) 789-1055, 1775
13-15 Chester Street, Glens Falls, NY 12801
Dial (518) 792-1960 for an application or help.
Gloversville, NY Corp center
10 Spring Street, Gloversville, NY 12078, 0068
Phone - (518) 725-4119
431 N. Prospect Street, Herkimer, New York 13350-0168
Phone: (315) 866-1240
Branch office - 95 Seneca Street
Hornell, NY 14843-0398
Address: 40 South Third Street, Hudson, NY 12534
Ithaca, NY Salvation Army Center
150 N. Albany Street, Ithaca, New York 14850
The location supports the southern New York and Finger Lakes region.
Jamestown (Generation Next), NY
Location is 83 South Main Street, Jamestown, NY 14701
(716) 664-4108 or (716) 664-6208
There is also Hispanic Corps. Provides assistance regardless of culture and religion.
50 Cottage Street, Lockport, NY 14094
(716) 434-1276, 6104
This Salvation Army has a soup kitchen, Bridging the Gap case management for youth, infant formula, and other services.
Main address: 178 Victory Road, Massena, NY 13662-0107
Call (315) 769-5154 for information
Niagara Falls (Citadel), New York
7018 Buffalo Avenue, Niagara Falls, NY 14304-0086
Telephone number - (716) 283-7697
401 Franklin Street, Ogdensburg, NY 13669-0404
310 E. State Street, Olean, NY 14760-0028
Call (716) 372-6740
123 Farrier Avenue, Oneida, NY 13421-0175
25 River Street, Oneonta, NY 13820
(607) 432-5960, 6120
Salvation Army of Oswego New York
85 West 3rd Street, Oswego, NY 13126-0146
Dial (315) 343-6491
Address: 4804 S. Catherine Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901-0368
Dial - (518) 561-2951
The location serves several counties in northeaster New York.
Rochester Area Services
A few locations are in the region. Resources include the Angel Tree free Christmas program, free boxes of food from a pantry, and a thrift store. Case workers can refer families to other local resources as well from the in the region.
- Location of Salvation Army office 10 Franklin Street, Rochester, New York 14604. Telephone number - (585) 987-9500
- Rochester (Central). Address: 60 Liberty Pole Way, Rochester, NY 14604-4310. Call (585) 987-9540 Ext. 2200, 2201
- Rochester (Northwest Worship and Service Center), 100 West Avenue. Rochester, NY 14611
Call (585) 527-9566 ext. 402 or 403
- Rochester (Temple), Location is 915 N. Clinton Avenue, Rochester, New York 14621. Call (585) 987- 9560 Ext. 301
410 W. Dominick Street, Rome, NY 13440
Address: 27 Woodlawn Avenue
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
(518) 584-1640 or (518) 584-1693
222 Lafayette Street, Schenectady, New York 12305
Dial the center at (518) 346-0222 Ext. 813
Syracuse Area Services
Address: 677 South. Salina Street, Syracuse, NY 13202
Dial - (315) 475-1688, (315) 479-1304 or (315) 479-1392, or find more information on services.
Syracuse (Citadel), NY office
Address: 749 S. Warren Street, Syracuse, NY 13202. Call (315) 479-1302
Syracuse (Onondaga Tabernacle)
5962 State Rt. 31, Cicero, NY 13039
Center address is 46 Broad Street
Tonawanda, NY 14151-0191
(716) 693-3110, 3545
Troy (Temple), NY
Primary location is 410 River Street, Troy, New York 12180
Main number is (518) 272-4901
Apply for help with food, shelter and housing assistance in Rensselaer and Columbia County.
Utica (Citadel), New York
Location of office - 14 Clinton Place, Utica, New York 13501
Call for information - (315) 724-8736
There are also centers all across Oneida County. Everything from clothing closets to transportation vouchers and disaster services are administered.
723 State Street, Watertown, NY 13601
The northern New York region is supported by this Salvation Army office, including Jefferson and St. Lawrence County.
Address - 25 E. Pearl Street
Wellsville, New York 14895-0549
Telephone number - (585) 593-2640
Related Content From Needhelppayingbills.com