latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Disability housing assistance.

Disabled individuals will often get help from housing and rental assistance programs that are run by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, or HUD. The various federal government resources available for people with disabilities include Section 811 income based apartments or homes, Tenant Based Rent Assistance, HOPW, free grants or emergency vouchers and more. Find how to apply for disability housing assistance below for adults, kids, seniors and others.

There are a number of programs to help disabled people find, and pay for, a place to live. In addition to those resources, help will even be provided to handicapped tenants by Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers, which is offered in every state, county and city including near you. There are also social security disability housing assistance programs for households on SSI or SSDI benefits.

Government programs help adults and other with a disability (mental or physical) find, and pay for, a handicapped friendly home or apartment. The homes, apartments and supportive living environments for disabled adults will also help veterans, the elderly, or people with a mental disability or physical handicap among others.

HUD housing programs for people with a disability or handicap

The Housing and Urban Development Department, or HUD, has many resources, including rental assistance available to disabled adults or elderly people from the Section 811 program. The federal government created this service in order to allow individuals with a disability to live in safe, secure, and affordable housing. The Social Security Administration is a partner of HUD on this service.

It is an income based housing program in which ad adult will need to pay some of their income, whether it is from SSI or a job, towards there monthly rental costs. Continue reading to learn how to get assistance for housing from HUD for the disabled or their caregivers.

It helps families live as independently as possible in private communities across the nation by increasing the supply of affordable rental housing. The section 811 program also supplies other supportive services, such as case management, referrals, free advice, caregivers and other aid. The HUD Section 811 program is similar to section 8, in that landlords need to agree to take the voucher and the disabled adult (or seniors) needs to pay some income towards it.

All rent due from the participant will be subsidized by the government. The program also provides project rental assistance to disabled clients, which will pay for the difference in expenses between the HUD-approved operating costs of the home/apartment and the tenants' contribution toward their apartment or home rent.




The monthly payment needed from the disabled tenant for their home or apartment will usually be 30 percent of the households adjusted income. The initial term of the project rental assistance contract is for a period of time of up to 3 years, however it can be renewed if funds are available and the participant meets all eligibility requirements.

How to apply for housing for people with disabilities

The requirements that need to be met in order to receive disability housing assistance from Section 811 include the following. Note some adults may qualify for emergency housing or income based homes that have no waiting list.

  • An applying household, which may consist of a single qualified person, needs to have at least one member who is 18 years of age or older. It is for adults only.
  • A household member must have a disability, such as a serious medical condition, chronic mental illness, physical handicap or some type of developmental disability.
  • In addition, the applicant must be low-income and have limited savings, which is usually defined as a range within a certain percentage of the median income for the area. They can have no money or income and also get disability housing. Social Security Benefits are considered as well.
  • Housing units are operated by private owners in your state. The landlord or property owner needs to agree to accept the HUD voucher or grant for the handicapped friendly unit.
  • Disabled veterans can also get affordable housing, often with no waiting list, from the Section 811 program.

To apply for a free housing grant or voucher for the disabled home or apartment, contact a local non-profit agency or government organization in your county to apply. Locate resources by state or county here as well as non-profits to apply at.

There are also public housing authorities, or PHAs, that will provide vouchers to help pay for disabled housing. This can be section 811 or other HUD programs. Find a local section 8 HUD voucher program.

Another option is a national non-profit agency that is focused on people with disabilities, and it is Aging and Disability Resource Center. The organization is a non-profit, non-partisan group that is committed to increasing availability and access to housing resources (as well as other benefits) for lower income people with disabilities. They do this by helping to coordinate resources and programs across the nation.





  • The non-profit takes a pro-active approach by providing special emphasis on preventing homelessness. So they can refer people to emergency rental assistance, security deposits, and legal advice. The charity also works on expanding affordable and safe housing opportunities to persons with a disability that fall within income limits. Assistance is also for persons who are currently unnecessarily housed in institutions.
  • One resource that is recommended by the Aging and Disability Resource Center that a person can use to find low income housing or apartments is HUD resource center, which can be reached at (800) 955-2232, Social Security offices can also provide information.
  • The  Aging and Disability Resource Center administers several other resources and social services. This can include free grant money for storage costs, moving, utility or rental deposits and more. All of this is intended to help disabled residents about ways to find housing or to increase their income resources. The agency may have information on rent assistance programs, SSI or SSDI applications as well as well as free government vouchers to help pay for handicapped accessible housing.

They also work closely with a number of non-profits that are involved in creating housing opportunities for the disabled. The Aging and Disability Resource Center have a phone hotline for information, and dial 1-800-677-1116 for information on how to locate disability friendly, affordable housing.

Other disabled housing assistance programs

While not solely focused on or created for disabled people, other state and federal government funded housing resources include the following. Adults can get grant money, there are free vouchers and homes for kids or people who lack mobility. They can help disabled people find a home to live in, provide grants and also referrals to places with no wait list. There are also immediate, emergency disabled housing programs for those people that are facing a financial hardship

Tenant Based Rent Assistance – This will usually provide families, including a home with one or more disabled adults or kids in it, with vouchers to help them pay their rent. It will pay for the different between what the apartment costs on a monthly basis, and what the renter can afford to pay. Some states have much more generous voucher programs in place for the disabled, so they may be able to benefit more. Learn more on Tenant Based Rent Help, or TBRA.How to apply for disability housing

Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) program – While not technically a resource focused on disabled, this is a federal government program that provides housing and rental assistance to individuals living with HIV/AIDS and their families. The HOPWA program may provide housing and resources that offer emergency rent help (both long term and short term), transitional housing, shelter, or long-term affordable solutions.

Section 8 housing for disabled – This is the federal government’s primary low income housing program for people with some form of handicap. It can help people of any background, and not just the disabled. It can assist the low income, elderly, caregivers, and others find and pay for rental homes and apartments. Statewide public housing agencies (PHAs) accept applications and administer the funds and vouchers.

  • As part of section 8, and other government grant programs, there are apartments, townhomes, condos and disability friendly/modified rental units for an emergency. These will be no-wait list properties in which the adult with a disability, or if they are having a serious medical issues, can get priority. They can also help seniors, retirees and others. Find details on based on disability income apartments with no waiting list.

Emergency housing and rental assistance for disabled - A number of non-profit agencies, charities, and local government programs can be contacted. Since funding is limited, many will give priority to applicants who are disabled. Learn more and find a list of agencies to contact in order to get fast, emergency rent assistance.

Vouchers for disabled friends housing from Certain Development program - States, counties, and local towns work with public housing authorities to offer this program. The household that is applying for assistance needs to have at least one member that is disabled and they can’t be senior citizens.







The voucher can be used to pay a portion of your housing expenses for an apartment or home that was pre-approved by the government. The government program does have limited funding. While a waiting list may not be used for this resource, there are other conditions, such as income limits. The same agencies that offer section 811 will administer this program as well. Read more about disabled rental assistance vouchers.

The key difference between section 811 and the housing programs referenced immediately above is that the primary goal of section 811 vouchers is to help families with a disabled member who is part of the household. All of the resources and assistance provided has that primary goal in mind, of helping the disabled find housing. The program can then provide free provide vouchers that help pay for security deposits and rent, and offer case management and counseling. Read more on HUD section 811 if needed.


Related Content From



By Jon McNamara


















Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site