latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed






Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Grants for people with a disability.

Find where to get free grant money for disabled people from the government or private organizations There are funds for individuals as well as low-income families who rely on social security SSI. Locate free grant money for individuals with disabilities as well as their families.

The government or private grant money for individuals with disabilities will help them or their families pay the bills or basic needs. Various agencies can either process the applications, or they will refer the disabled individual to another organization that may issue the free money. Get information on applying for disability grants as well as free money from the government, charities or private organizations.

The programs cover a wide spectrum of needs. Many of them focus on assisting veterans, and can help them with their medical bills, provide educational support, pay for travel costs and more. Other grants are for children, single people or infants that have a disability, and of course there is also private grants for individual adults with disabilities.

The most commonly known program that is available is Supplemental Security Income, or SSI. But there are many others that may not be as well known. Some of the other lesser known government or private grant programs for individuals include Home Based Primary Care (HBPC), Disabled Veterans Outreach (DVOP), Children of Women Vietnam Veterans Health Care Benefits Program, and even Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits (SSDI). More information on these and other sources of free money for disabled people are below.

Locate free grant money for people with a physical or mental disability

Each of these programs focuses on a specific need or condition. The application process will vary, but in general a disability grant, whether from a private company, charity or the government, is only for a low income family or single person that also has limited assets. Any financial aid is provided at the discretion of the administering agency only. There are various places for people to go for more information.




  • Most county social service offices have case managers that can help the disabled to apply.
  • A community action agency is also a resource that can be used for information on both private and federal government disability grants. These sites will often have will have details on other grant programs that the resident may be qualified for.
  • Social Security Offices, including over the phone or in person, can help people find, and apply for, grants including SSI, SSDI and other benefits.

Assistance for Indian Children with Severe Disabilities can be reached at 505-563-5264. It offers educational services as well as grant money to Native American and/or American Indian families with children.

Client Assistance Program (CAP) only provides information and referrals. They do not provide direct cash assistance. Instead it advises adults with a disability of all services available under the Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The U.S. Department of Education runs it. Call 202-245-6769

Division of Coal Mine Workers' Compensation (DCMWC) covers claims under the Federal Black Lung Program. The grant will provide monthly cash benefits for food, bills, paying rent, and more. It will also help widows as well as dependents of miners that were impacted by pneumoconiosis. The US Department of Labor can provide more information, especially in states such as West Virginia or Tennessee Email [email protected].

Division of Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation grant program, or DLHWC, helps adults impacted by  employment injuries and deaths. Financial aid from this grant program can cover health or dental needs, make up for lost wages from a disability and pay for rehabilitation services. Survivor benefits are provided too. The main phone number is 202-513-6809.

Early Intervention Program for Infants and Toddlers with Disabilities is a state run grant program. It will assist households with children under the age of 2 with a developmental delay. Grants can help with physical, cognitive, communication, social development needs, emotional or pay for self-help programs for infants or toddlers. Many states may also pay for Individualized Family Service Plans. Applications are available from the local Department of Education in each county. Dial (973) 642-8100.





Employment grants and programs for the disabled - There are many grants that can pay for work at home positions, equipment, and other resources for making money. All of them are free to use, and find lower impact jobs for the disabled.

LIHEAP and Weatherization are federal grant programs for both paying utility or heating bills or conserving energy. While anyone can apply (not just the disabled) the application period opens earlier for them. Some states also provide priority to a household with a disabled member. Free money is offered from LIHEAP (often several hundred dollars per year), and the funds can help disabled people, seniors and other pay their utility bills. More information on low income home energy assistance program.

Former Worker Medical Screening Program (FWP) – This grant helps pay for medical bills and check ups for adults that worked in the Department of Energy weapons complex programs. It looks for people impacted by radiation, beryllium, asbestos, noise, lasers, or silica. The grant will pay for all testing needed.

Job Accommodation Network from the U.S. Department of Labor deals with workplace needs for employees with a disability. JAN is a referral service only, and the intake number is 1-800-526-7234. People with a mental, physical or mobility disability can get financial help in the form of government grants.

Non-Discrimination in Federally Assisted and Conducted Programs is a HUD housing program for the disabled. It prohibits discrimination when someone with a disability is applying for financial assistance from a grant. It supports tenants, the homeless, and people looking to rent a home or apartment. Call 202-708-2333. Or find additional information on money for rent.

Section 811 Supportive Housing Grant Program for Persons with Disabilities is available for rent and housing needs. Tenants can be referred to grant based financial aid available by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Grants also pay for supportive services as well as the development of new homes/apartments. Continue with section 8 housing for the disabled.

Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits – SSDI is one of the main federal grant programs. It will help people with a disability (whether physical, emotional, or mental) that will be 12 months or longer, or that results in death. The U.S. Social Security Administration grants pay for many living expenses, whether prescription medications, housing, or energy bills and more. Call 1-800-772-1213.




Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is free government grant money for low income disabled Americans that have a limited (or no) ability to work. SSI provides cash grants to applicants with a low income and assets. Public benefits pay for various bills and basic needs, and call 1-800-772-1213 for details or read more here. The government will screen for people with a total disability and not partial or short-term disabilities.

TRIO Student Support Services - Assistance is for low-income or disabled students as well as first generation college attendees. SSS will provide for tutoring, personal and academic career counseling, career guidance, school supplies, instruction, mentoring classes, and other higher educational costs. Private companies provide the grant, working in partnership with local government agencies. Phone – 202-502-7600.

Tax Help for People with Disabilities is coordinated by the U.S. Department of the Treasury. Local community action agencies run the grant program. Applicants need to be a taxpayer and they need to want free federal or state filing tax return preparation help or advice.

The Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act (EEOICPA) offers grants of up to $150,000 for medical conditions. The condition needs to be approved by the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act, which can be for radiation and similar issues. It assists both disabled victims and their survivors, such as spouses or children. Apply at the US Division of Energy.

Grants available for disabled veterans

The programs noted below are all federal government funded. They can assist individuals with needs ranging from educational to housing or medical care. Other aid can be provided too. In most cases, a veteran will also include their spouse or any children as well.

More information on these grants can normally be provided by Veterans Health Administration, local VA medical centers, private charities, and job offices too. Each grant program will have its own application process in place, and various criteria will need to be met.





Automobiles and Adaptive Equipment for Disabled Veterans and Service-members – A grant of up to $20,000 may pay for a care or related transportation. It also pays bills for installing adaptive equipment in the automobile, or even for repairs to it. National Guard and Reserve members may also apply. The VA offers it, and phone number is 1-800-827-1000.

Caregiver Programs and Services helps veteran care givers. A grant, or monthly stipend, can pay for travel costs, lodging such as a hotel, health insurance benefits, mental health care, and more. The Veterans Health Administration (VHA) can be reached at 1-877-222 8387.

Children of Women Vietnam Veterans Health Care Benefits pay for medical bills for birth defects. It also pay for travel costs for treatment, such as gasoline, buses, and hotels nationwide, as part of the Spina Bifida Health Care Benefits and grant program. The Denver VA Regional Office can be called at 1-888-820-1756.

Clothing Allowance and free vouchers for the disabled – An annual sum of money is given if they have a service-connected disability. This can cover people on medication, with aprosthetic or orthopedic appliance, and the disabled that need garments. Call the Inquiry Routing & Information Systems (IRIS) at 1-877-222-8387. Or there are other resources too, and find a list of free clothes for low income families.

Disabled Veterans Outreach Program (DVOP) – Grants are available to the low income, homeless, unemployed, and economically disadvantaged veterans. It pays for educational bills and costs. Applications are available at a local Veterans Employment and Training Service (VETS) office.Grants for individuals with disabilities

Home Based Primary Care Grants (HBPC) are for veterans with serious, complex physical or social conditions. The government program will pay for some expenses for the chronically ill through the months and years before death. It covers rehabilitation, medications, primary care, disease management, and other health care needs. Call 1-877-222-8387.

Respite Care for service members is coordinated by the Veterans Health Administration (VHA). It provides for up to 30 days of respite for the caregiver, whether it is a friend or family member. Contact a local VA medical center or dial 1-877-222-8387 to learn more about the government grant for veterans (or their families) that have a disability.

Services and Aid for Blind Veterans – VHA grants pay for job skill training, family education, adaptive technology, counseling, eye glasses, computers and more. More information is available at VA Medical Centers, or the phone number is 1-877-222-8387.

Spina Bifida Health Care Benefits Program covers people with Spina Bifida and that are a birth child of Vietnam or Korea Veterans. VA grants can pay for medical needs, travel,  gas or bus passes to a hospital or doctor, and related costs. Apply at the VA Regional Office in Denver.

Veterans Prosthetic Appliances – The Veterans Administration provides some or all of the following. Clients can be given hearing aids, communication aids, artificial limbs, free prescription eyeglasses, orthopedic braces and shoes, canes, contact lenses, wheelchairs, or crutches among other items. Call 800-698-2411.







Veterans Pension Grants is for wartime service members only. The VBA will ensure that the client is given financial help from all government grants and public aid programs that they qualify for. Applicants need to have a low income, limited savings and assets, and meet other criteria set by Congress. Telephone – 1-800-827-1000.

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Services for Veterans with Disabilities – The grant provides for job placement and training needs. Grants can pay for equipment, clothing, workshops for short and long-term training, supplies, and other equipment needed to address the employment handicap. Components include Rapid Access to Employment, Long Term Services, and Reemployment. Non-profits and the government both offer this financial aid. The goal of the grant is to help the family live an independent life. Phone - 1-800-829-4833.


Related Content From

By Jon McNamara














Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site