latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Tenant based rental assistance programs.

Another rent assistance program that is funded by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is the Tenant Based Rental Assistance (TBRA) voucher program. While the specific coverage and the amount of assistance will vary by state and even county, in general the TBRA program will help with paying rent as well as utility bills. Learn more on the TBRA program below, as well as how to apply.

All applications are processed locally, including near you. Vouchers from TBRA may also help with both rental and utility security deposits,storage costs and provide counseling. Case managers that are part of a local housing authority or community action agency will also offer long term self sufficiency to the low income.

Tenant Based Rental Assistance funds and grants are administered as well as distributed at the local level, often as part of Section 8 housing choice vouchers. The non-profit agencies that run the program have some flexibility in exactly what they offer as part of TBRA, who is able to qualify, and the specifics to the amount and type of financial aid provided. Some of the non-profits can decide to offer rental assistance programs, homebuyer programs, self-sufficiency programs, or offer aid to a targeted population. Other agencies will provide so called anti-eviction and displacement assistance programs, homeless prevention, and/or security deposit assistance programs.

It too will generally offer a subsidy to very low income families or those living in poverty. The Tenant Based Rental Assistance program is administered at the local level. Funds are distributed to the the qualified tenants as well as needy from non-profits, charities, and local government agencies. HUD provided grants, vouchers and loans can pay for various housing expenses.

Type of rent assistance paid

Qualified individuals can get rental assistance paid to them in the form of a grant or financial assistance or section 8 voucher. In addition the security deposit / utility deposit issued to them may be in the form of a low interest or zero percent interest loan or a grant. The payments will be made directly to the landlord or apartment management company in order to help families pay their monthly rent costs.

While as indicated throughout this page, the exact amount of the rental subsidy offered by Tenant Based Rental Assistance will vary. In general the payment is the difference between 30 percent of the applicants adjusted total income and the applicable payment standard. This means TBRA pays a variable amount, based on the families or individuals household income.




Only the tenant of the home or apartment may apply for a housing subsidy. It is also important to note that the rental assistance and security deposit grant and/or loan programs may be freestanding. This means that they can be offered to the low income in addition to or separate from some of the other forms of direct rent help provided.

Payments from TBRA are intended to make up the difference between the amount of rent and housing expense (including utilities) that the the family or individuals can afford to pay on a monthly basis and the actual monthly costs of the housing that is selected by the family to live in. It will generally factor in utility bills due each month as well, which is of course another component to housing costs. A major part of this equation is the applicant’s income.

Apply for Tenant Based Rental Assistance (TBRA)

While much of the funding does come from the federal government HUD agency, the programs are run and financial aid is provided at the local level. There are multiple locations to try for a TBRA vouchers for leasing a home.

  • Community Action often has Tenant Based Rental applications. Any type of rental help and utility or security deposit assistance is delivered through community action agencies, housing authorities, charities, non-profits, and similar non-profits. Locate community action agencies.
  • Local government organizations will partner with other local service providers and organizations to provide a wide variety of support services. They combine their resources in order to be most effective to the low income in their respective communities. Locate other local government agencies.
  • Another place to contact for information or to apply for Tenant Based Rental Assistance is your local Section 8 or HUD counseling agency. Click here to find a listing of providers. As they operate by state, and more information on local section 8 housing near you.





Income and criteria

Once again, the specifics will vary. In general, any type of rent help, security deposits and funds for utility bills are provided from Tenant Based Rental Assistance based on the following.

  • The low income in the community, with special focus on the elderly, people with kids, the disabled, and those on the verge of eviction. The applicant will need to have an income that is on the lower end of the area median income. Poverty guidelines also often need to be met by applicants.
  • Some of the other general conditions include the apartment or home must meet certain quality standards that are usually established by Section 8 and HUD. The apartment needs to be both affordable over the long term and safe to live in.
  • The rent for the unit must be a reasonable amount when factoring in the exact market, and the unit can be either public or privately owned. Vouchers from TBRA may pay for single family homes, condos, town-homes, or other units.
  • In order to qualify for assistance or a loan for paying a security deposit, the TBRA tenant based program will often require the applicant to be currently homeless or on the verge of eviction from their current residence.


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara

Contact NeedHelpPayingBills


















Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site