latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Search the site

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money





Assistance programs Yakima County

There are places to turn to help rent help, financial assistance for paying utility and electric bills, weatherization, and other financial assistance programs in Yakima County Washington. Get free food, medical or dental care, and social services. Assistance is available at churches, charities, non-profits, and government offices. Find financial help near you in Yakima County WA.

Not only may emergency grant money or government assistance help with bills, but there are also other resources for self-sufficiency. This ranges from free daycare to clothes or school supplies for kids, credit card help, job programs, and even free furniture or Christmas toys. Find more details below.

Emergency financial assistance for utilities, housing and bills in Yakima WA

Contact the local branch of Catholic Family & Child Services. This is a non-profit charity organization that may be able to provide financial help or free stuff for low-income, single mothers or seniors. While funding is limited, some of the services offered to those in need of help include:

  • Help with paying rent and security deposit assistance is for those families and individuals facing an eviction.
  • Housing assistance - Receive access to emergency shelter through the use of local free hotels and motels, including vouchers to pay for a room in Yakima County. Also receive assistance in the form of 1st month rent.
  • Utility, heating, and electric bills grant money - From time to time they may have limited funds available that can provide help with utility and heating bills.
  • Other assistance - In addition to above, qualified individuals may be able to receive help with prescriptions and gas vouchers. Receive access to diapers and personal hygiene items and diapers. Receive assistance in the form of free food, clothing, furniture and household goods from the thrift store on site. Other groceries and nutritional information is also provided.
  • Referrals to other programs - Work with a counselor to learn about other local charities and non-profit, both locally and nationally. Also, counselors can refer you to Washington and federal government programs. 




They offer many assistance programs and other support. Call Catholic Charities at (509) 965-7100, or click here for information on Catholic and Family Services.

The Salvation Army of Yakima County is another place to turn to for help. . Some of the programs offered by this agency include.

  • Family Service Office - This resources can offer emergency food, pharmaceutical, clothing, housing and access to a shelter. There are also low-income hardship funds for heating and energy bill assistance, and cash grants. Help is available to qualified families and individuals depending on available resources and funding.
  • Free Christmas and Holiday Assistance - Access the "Toy and Joy Shop” in which free toys and food are provided for underprivileged families and individuals.
  • Senior center - Work with a counselor and receive programs tailored for seniors.
  • School supplies - Kids will be given free school supplies, uniforms, book bags, sneakers, jackets and more, with stuff for students from grade K to 12. Learn more on low-income back to school supply assistance.
  • Youth programs - The Yakima Salvation Army also runs several programs for youth and children. Access day and child care, and other services.

Several other emergency assistance programs and social services are offered, even including free school items. Call them at 509-453-3139. Read Yakima Salvation Army assistance programs.

St Vincent Center, which is located in Union Gap Washington (phone ((509) 457-5111), also operates a thrift store and food pantry for vulnerable Yakima Washington families. The goal is to offer emergency support and a holistic, case management process. They also have a free Christmas assistance program with toys and meals.

  • A job training program is available as well. They can access work ready skills or even get free clothes for an interview or new job. Migrant workers and immigrants in Yakima WA will also be given support. Call them for more information.





The Yakima based Northwest Community Action Center provides both rent help and a homeless shelter.  There is support for the low-income, people with no money and housing for immigrants. The rental assistance program will provide hardship funds most once per year to assist those in need with paying the first months or past due rent or when at risk of becoming evicted from their home or apartment. Shelter is also provided if someone is homeless or on the street.

  • Community Action provides other help too. A program that people can turn to for financial aid is the Energy Assistance Program (EAP). It assists low to moderate income households, senior citizens, and disabled with paying their winter heating bills. .
  • A free option to save money on your utility and heating bills is the federal government funded weatherization program. Homeowners can save up to 50% on their heating and cooling bills by weatherizing their home. And best of all, the weatherization program is free to qualified homeowners.
  • Single mother assistance, including grant money, is available. It will help with basic needs, baby supplies, housing and other expenses from a single mom. More on grants for single mom to pay bills.

For more information on, or to apply for either of these energy programs, call the Northwest Community Action Center at (509) 865-7630.

Several other agencies offer emergency rent help. The goal is to stop evictions in Yakima County as well as rehouse families into a new, more affordable apartment. Non-profits, or government programs such as HEN, can assist with overdue rent or security deposits as well. More on Yakima County rent assistance.

Yakima County families living in poverty and seniors can apply for government subsidized housing as well as section 8 vouchers. they are income based units. the client still need to pay a portion of their rent. More on section 8 income subsidized housing.

YNHS - Yakima Neighborhood Health Servicesoffers various assistance programs. They focus on eviction prevention, rehousing, and also coordinating free medical as well dental care. Much of the financial aid is for the homeless, with some support for very low income families in Yakima. Or click here to find other national rent assistance programs.

  • The Resource Centers will offer information on emergency rental assistance. This may come in the form of a loan or government supported grant. Other funds may be for paying a security deposit on approved low income apartments or transitional housing. YNHS also offers dental care (such as cleanings), medications from a pharmacy on 8th Street, and other basic medical care for the uninsured. Click here Yakima Neighborhood Health.




Yakima County Human Services Department process applications to government benefit programs. There is SSI disability, SNAP food stamps, and the EBT program to pay for groceries. Apple Health (Medicaid) as well as elder care and more is offered, along with the free government cash from TANF. Location is 128 N 2nd Street, Yakima, WA 98901. Call (509) 574-1365, or more on TANF benefits for low-income.

The Depot - This agency provides up to $25 toward paying utility and heating bills. The charity also offers funds for electric and water bills, and other support for people who are in need in Yakima and Union Gap only. Also provides emergency vouchers for 5 gallons of propane for heating. Phone (509) 249 - 6232.

Many churches help the less fortunate. Resources always vary. Some may offer financial help others give free stuff or counseling. They also focus on certain regions, mostly families that live near the church. Applicants of all religions can apply, as well as immigrants or the homeless. There are also free clothes, furniture programs and food or meals from Yakima WA churches.

  • Some parishes offer a limited rent assistance program that may be able to provide short-term help to prevent eviction. There may be funds for paying security deposits or 1st month's rent to help the homeless obtain housing and cash vouchers to pay for short-term shelter in local hotels or motels. Read more on church assistance programs in Yakima County.Financial help Yakima County

Yakima County Volunteer Attorney Services is a free lawyer program. Get a consultation from a pro-bono attorney in Yakima. Stop evictions, get help from debt collectors or public assistance applications and more. Location is 6 S 2nd St #702, Yakima, WA 98901. Dial (509) 453-4400

Employment, income, and job training in Yakima is offered too. There are both short and long term positions, including some that can be started in an emergency. Or clients can get computer skills, their resume reviewed, and use other services. Find a list of free work from home jobs as well.

Free Food, clothes and other non-financial assistance programs

A few of the primary food banks in the county are listed below. However there are a few dozen other distribution centers and charities in the region that can help meet nutritional needs. Groceries, fruits, vegetables, baby formula and more may be provided by soup kitchens or food pantries. More on Yakima free food banks.

Grandview Seventh-Day Adventist Community Services - Provides free food and the possibility of clothing to members of the community in need. There are holiday meals, free hygiene supplies, baby formula for low-income parents and more. Phone (509) 882 - 7919

Other non-profits to stop by or call for free food, groceries, advice, and other aid in the Yakima area include the Granger Food Bank, the Mabton Food Bank (509) 225-9310), Naches Presbyterian Church (dial (509) 653 - 2527), as well as the The Pantry at Moxee.

Many other resources are available to help prevent hunger. Or click here for additional free food and government programs and/or food stamps.

Free community medical clinics in Yakima County

Yakima Union Gospel Mission is a facility that has many volunteers. UGM's Urgent Care Clinic serves those who are needy and live in the community, people who are staying in the shelter, those on our recovery program, and other low income and uninsured from the community.

  • Many area nurses, doctors, medical professionals and dentists volunteer their time and services to help the homeless. There is also help for low-income people with no insurance or that are on Medicaid. The staff help with some of their medical needs and health care costs. This health care assistance program is for those who are not receiving government coupons or who do not have any other health insurance plan assistance available to them.
  • Staff also advocate of free health insurance benefits from the state or federal government. As there are multiple options. Look here for free health insurance in WA.
  • The location is 1300 N 1st St, Yakima, WA 98901. Phone: (509) 248-4510

Medical care is administered from the following community clinics or health centers. Each can offer free check ups, dental screenings, tests, and some even have free prescription eye exams.







ABCD - Access to Baby & Child Dentistry Program offers services, including Adolescent Pregnancy & Parenting Program. In Sunnyside call 509-837-5005. Or for the Yakima center dial  (509) 945-6695.

Maternal Health Services is administered at Yakima Memorial. Call 509-575-8160

Yakima Medical-Dental Clinic is located at 602 E Nob Hill Blvd is for underinsured children and low income parents. Cleanings, fluoride, check ups, and other dental assistance is administered. There are also emergency teeth extractions, dentures, Medicaid and other services. Call (509) 248-3334, or learn more on get dentures with no money.

New Hope Clinic can provide services for people with AIDS/HIV. Call 509-453-7144 for intake.

Yakima Indian Health Center. For dental care dial 509-865-2011. For basic medical care the number is 509-865-2025.

Yakima Children’s Village is for young adults, teenagers and children with special health care needs. Phone 1-800-745-1077.

A non-profit known as Neighborhood Health operates in both Sunnyside Washington as well as Yakima. Phone 509-837-8200.

Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinicis for immigrants and farm workers. Grandview (dental) 509-882-3444 or call 509-882-3444 for other medical. There is also a free medical center in Toppenish Washington (medical) 509-865-5600, or (dental) 509-865-3886. All services are in Spanish too. Get exams, OB/GYN, pregnancy testing, meds and other care.


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara


Additional Local Programs












Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site