Assistance programs Rockingham County New Hampshire.
Find how to get financial help in Rockingham County from charities, churches or the government. Locate housing assistance, including rent help, mortgage relief, and electric bill help. There is also free food from a pantry, grant money or cash assistance from the government as well as free clothes low income families. Locate financial assistance programs near you in Rockingham County NH.
A focus is on helping the low income, senior citizens and single moms. Financial help in cities including Derry, Salem, Portsmouth and all of Rockingham County is combined with job training, free gasoline vouchers, credit counseling and case management. Get emergency financial aid and free stuff from charities or the government below.
Grant money and support from Rockingham County community action
Receive hardship funds and access to numerous assistance programs from Rockingham Community Action. They help families throughout southern New Hampshire. There are applications to emergency grants to help pay bills, education and job placement, free cars or gas cards and more.
- Rent and Security Deposit Assistance - Receive no-interest Security Deposit loans which are provided to lower and middle income households. The funds are part of the the Housing Security Guarantee Program (HSGP). In addition, additional assistance with paying security deposit and/or first month’s rent, which is provided in the form of a loan, may be accessed by families or individuals who are homeless or on the brink of homelessness.
- Holiday Assistance Program - Provides holiday assistance (including at Thanksgiving or Christmas) to those families in need of help. Low income families in Rockingham County will get small toys, free holiday food baskets, toys from the program and companionship. Read more on a Christmas program.
- Emergency Food Pantries - Families can receive free boxes of groceries if they are facing severe economic hardship and are critically low on food or other nutritious items.
- Utility Bill Assistance - When enough funds are available to the Rockingham County agency, they can provide free grants toward paying utility bills. Funds will help pay heating or fuel oil during the winter or summer AC bills.
- Housing Crisis Assistance - There are some limited funds to provide grants to help prevent a foreclosure. New Hampshire has also started a new foreclosure mediation program.
- Cash grants - Emergency financial aid grants may be available to help low-income households for the payment of rent expenses, mortgage, heating oil, electricity, or fuel. Or bills can be paid by community action for households facing evictions, utility terminations, foreclosures, or lack of gas to get to a job.
- Employment and Income Opportunities - Community Action staff help people get a job, improve their career skills, find at home jobs or address educational needs. There are also gig work, such as product testing or other opportunities. Learn more on at home product tester job.
Many other programs are offered too, around hardships, self-sufficiency, budgeting and more. The non-profit is based in Portsmouth, but have additional locations. Call (603) 431-2911. The address is 4 Cutts St, Portsmouth, NH 03801.
Financial assistance, free food, housing and more in Rockingham County
Towns throughout New Hampshire and Rockingham County are required to provide help with paying certain bills and living expenses. This is per a state law that was passed many years ago. Some of the bills that they may help pay include medical as well as prescriptions, rent, and towns offer assistance for utility bills (including heating, electric, and water).
A local municipality will also offer emergency medical care, cash assistance for the unemployed and other forms of financial help. Call your local town office and refer to this. Some towns are listed below. Or look here for fuel and utility help in your region, including how to buy low priced heating oil..
- Derry NH human services is at (603) 432-6100
- Brentwood - (603) 642-6400
- Exeter NH - (603) 778-0591
- Kensignton - (603) 772-5423.
Portsmouth City Office – This is the local city and town welfare program. Services are required to provide grants and financial assistance for basic necessities such as heat, food, or shelter for the homeless. There are also free government grants for rent, mortgage payments, electricity and gas bills, or water costs. Locate other programs that help pay water bills to prevent a shut off.
The town also gives free stuff to low-income residents, disabled people or seniors. This includes necessary clothing, transportation, and prescription medication. Basic telephone service may be paid for as well if necessary for safety or health reasons. Location is 1 Junkins Avenue, City Hall, Portsmouth, New Hampshire 03801
Exeter area St. Vincent DePaul – A team of social workers and case managers advocate on behalf of the low income. They will work with those in need to assess the financial problem they have and make appropriate referrals. An emergency fund is offered in limited circumstances on a one time basis. There includes money for fuel bills, housing and more.
- The Rockingham County Saint Vincent also addresses other needs. This may include free medical or dental, Medicaid applications, food, and even help completing and filing federal and state of NH income taxes. Many resources are available. Also get help in applying for government benefits. 53 Lincoln Street, Exeter, New Hampshire 03833. More on Rockingham County St. Vincent de Paul assistance programs.
Salvation Army – Programs offered, on a limited basis, include electricity assistance, free food, free holiday meals and Christmas gifts. Or students from K to 12 will get free school supplies. Low income families, single moms or the elderly will also get support. Or apply for case management and much more. A thrift store may also have free winter coats or school supplies as well for Rockingham County families.
- The Salvation Army also has free vouchers, including for gas (for a job interview or job) or the homeless can get a voucher for a more. There are also free clothes, furniture for the low-income and winer coats for kids or the elderly.
Additional social services may be administered. Learn more on Salvation Army assistance Rockingham County NH. Locations are at 4 Tinkham Ave, Derry, NH 03038. Phone: (603) 434-7790 as well as 272 Rockland St, Portsmouth, NH 03801. Call (603) 436-2606.
Dress 4 School Success is based in Hampton, New Hampshire. The main purpose of Dress 4 School Success, which is a 501(c)3 non profit organization, is to provide clothing to all Kindergarten through grade 12 students that are in need. They also provide free work attire to women who need a job. All items are given to qualifying students free of charge. Students can be referred by Rockingham or Hampton social workers or school personnel. Email Dress4SchoolSuccess@comcast.net.
Discounts for water and sewer bills are provided by the city of Portsmouth. While the terms and conditions vary, some households may receive up to 25% off their bills. Other low income families may be provided grants for their water costs, and any assistance will be short term only. Read about Portsmouth water bill assistance.
Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society - This is a charitable nonprofit organization that provides financial help, referrals, educational, and other assistance to members of the Naval Services of the United States. Their immediate family members may also receive assistance when in need of help. To do this, loans, counseling, grants, various services, and referral to other community resources and government programs are available. Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, Portsmouth, New Hampshire 03804, call (207) 438-1832.
Free clothes, furniture, school supplies and stuff is available. There are charities that operate clothing closets, thrift stores and furniture banks in Rockingham County. They provide everything from clothes for year round use to free furniture, kitchen appliances, washers or dryers and more. Kids will get free back to school supplies and uniforms as well. Find free clothes, furniture and school supplies in Rockingham County.
Free heating oil is available during the fall or winter months. A focus in on the elderly, disabled people and people with no money in Rockingham County. Both charities and some companies provide limited amounts of fuel or heating oil to keep the low income warm. Find free heating fuel oil near you.
State laws also protect families around utility disconnections. There are regulations as to if, and when, heat, electricity, or power can be shut off, especially during the winter months. The goal is to ensure the low-income and elderly are safe and warm, and read more about what months can your heat not be shut off.
Rockingham County Catholic Charities helps the poor, unemployed and low-income. The charity works with churches, non-profits, and other organizations in the county to help the needy. Some assistance is offered directly by Catholic Charities, however most of it is provided by referrals.
Some of what is available includes assistance for immigrants and seniors, free food, hot meals, and holiday programs. Support is offered for patients and people that have just left a hospital too. They are a leading charity in the region. More on Catholic Charities of Rockingham and Hillsborough County NH.
Rockingham and southern New Hampshire residents can get help at Christmas or other holidays. What may be offered is as follows.
- Small toys, free presents and gifts for children, both boys and girls.
- Hot meals to seniors, families in poverty, and the homeless.
- Christmas or Thanksgiving food baskets.
- Locate other resources. Find free holiday programs in Rockingham County.
Derry and Rockingham County DHHS is the intake site for government assistance. Call 1-844-275-3447. The main office is at 50 International Dr., Portsmouth, NH 03801. Residents can apply for benefit programs including SNAP food stamps or Medicaid. Or TANF cash assistance as well as Fuel Assistance/LIHEAP grants will assist with energy bills. There is also weatherization, home repair programs, windows and more. Read more on how to get free windows.
Debt relief and foreclosure counseling is offered by a non-profit. Services include Family Debt Arbitration, which is a non-profit organization that can be reached. They offer credit and debt counseling, foreclosure assistance and mortgage relief. There is also free credit repair services as well as debt consolidation, and budget counseling, another other services that are available. More on Credit Solutions t 170 Commerce Way, Portsmouth, NH 03801. Dial (603) 232-3015.
Free medical and community clinics
Greater Derry Community Health Services Access is a facility that provides access to primary and specialty health care, behavioral health support, or vouchers for prescription medication when ordered in network. There is also free dental care, telehealth and case management. Income restrictions apply. Dial (603) 425-2545 The address is 4 Tsienneto Rd, Derry, NH 03038.
Lamprey Health Care is another Rockingham New Hampshire based community clinic. The center takes the family practice approach to medical care and focuses on health education, prevention, and the health and well being of the family (parent, children, etc.) as a whole. Call (603) 895-3351
In addition to those two locations, Rockingham County New Hampshire has several other health and dental care centers that may have free services for the low income. Click here for additional information and options for medical bill help. More on free medical and dental clinics Rockingham County/
Rockingham County NH free food and household stuff
The following free food pantries and distribution centers may provide free food, household items, clothes, or other forms of assistance to local families who need help. The poor, unemployed and low-income in Rockingham County can get free groceries, hot meals, grocery vouchers and other support. There will also be other stuff including clothes, diapers or even furniture.
First Baptist Church - They have a free community food pantry. The address is 4 Crystal Ave # 4, Derry, NH 03038.
St. Jude Roman Catholic Parish - The low-income, single moms and indigent (among others) can use the free food bank. Groceries, personal hygiene supplies, feminine goods and more are at 435 Mammoth Rd, Londonderry, NH 03053. Phone: (603) 432-3333
Shepherd's Pantry - Over 100 people per week may be able to get access to free food and personal care items. Windham NH (603) 432-2150
St. Lukes United Methodist Church - The church pantry is at 63 E Broadway, Derry, NH 03038. Call (603) 434-4767. They offer an emergency food pantry. Call (603) 434-4767
Find help, such as free groceries or meals, from other charities. In addition to those food banks, soup kitchens and distribution centers, find more local Rockingham County food pantries.
Related Content From Needhelppayingbills.com