Assistance programs Osceola County and Kissimmee.
Free health care services and medical attention
Receive medical care from the St. Thomas Aquinas Free Medical Clinic. The clinic provide free medical care for the working poor and mid income families who live in Osceola County. The free health care clinic is also supported by Catholic Charities.
The clinic provides free health care programs and offers services such as medical specialist referrals, medical care, preventive health education programs, case management, and medication referrals, , and referrals to other community social services for the working poor and government aid programs. Phone 407-593-1256.
Social services, counseling, and financial help with expenses and bills
The community action agency as well as the largest non-profit social services agency in Kissimmee and Osceola County Florida is the Osceola County Council on Aging, Inc. The organizations helps people of all ages, not just senior citizens, and they are the local community action agency. They provide programs and other assistance for people facing a crisis or hardship.
- Emergency financial assistance programs - This is a general assistance program that offers several different services and resources. For example, the Emergency Assistance program may help qualified families and individuals by providing them with funds and grants to satisfy immediate financial emergencies, unexpected bills and other types of disaster. The program provides referrals and information on grant programs for services such as food, shelter, rent assistance programs, medicine, emergency health care. There is also free foreclosure prevention, housing aid, day care, transportation assistance; financial management assistance, job counseling, debt reduction services, job placement and training services. Or apply for homeless and eviction prevention programs.
- Cooling and utility bill help - They run the federal government funded Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). This is a program that will help meet the costs of home cooling and heating bills by providing qualified low income customers with utility bill payment assistance. The utility program can assist customers in paying their home energy and utility bill expenses. Three categories of assistance exist from the LIHEAP option, and they include home energy bill assistance, crisis assistance, and weather related or supply shortage emergency assistance.
- Health clinic and medical care - While it is located in Kissimmee, it covers the entire county. The Health Clinic is for patients who are 18 years and older, those people without health insurance and who meet low income qualifications. The health care facility provides primary, secondary and chronic illness management and medical care for adult patients and others who need medical care.
- Home repairs - This program provides minor home repairs and improvements.
- Weatherization - This is a free program for qualified individuals, and it will install free energy conserving updates in peoples homes.
Call the Kissimmee based Osceola Council on Aging at 407-846-8532.
Find help around the holidays. Programs assist the less fortunate of Osceola County at Thanksgiving, Christmas and other holidays. Free meals, toys for children, food for seniors, and other assistance is available for qualified low income residents. Read central Florida Christmas and holiday programs.
The Osceola County Catholic Charities of Central Florida (phone 888-658-2828) is another of the leading charities in the area. They provide services such as health care, occasional funds for such expenses as housing, rent, and utility help. In addition, they can also refer people to both Florida and federal government assistance programs, and provide counseling and referrals.
Osceola County Human Services Division – Among other services include the Community Development Block Grant. This program provides rental and housing assistance to Osceola County residents who are faced with an eviction or who are in danger of becoming homeless. Any emergency rental assistance shall be limited to the first and second months’ rent with a possible payment of up to the fifth months’ rent if eligible for aid. Other resources include future financial management plan, housing services, home Improvement and repair, and job finding programs. 330 North Beaumont Avenue, Kissimmee, Florida 34741, call (407) 742-8405.
There is a Salvation Army Center in Kissimmee. It supports all of Osceola County. There is help for Hispanics, Latinos, migrant farm workers and others. Some of the social services are below.
- Emergency financial assistance for rent, bills, food, medical for the uninsured (including immigrants).
- Free items like food, clothes, school supplies, Christmas toys, and more.
- Additional services including a homeless shelter, case management programs, substance abuse, spiritual guidance and more.
- Read more, and find details on Osceola County Salvation Army assistance programs.
Family Services of Jewish Federation are available in central Florida. The non-profit will try to help the less fortunate, regardless of their religion. There is free food and groceries from the Pearlman Pantry. Emergency services, sometimes in the form of a zero interest rate loan, can help Osceola County families with utility bills, paying rent, or maybe a security deposit. Other programs are for seniors, the unemployed, and those seeking self-sufficiency. Click here.
Transitional housing resources can place families facing imminent eviction or the homeless into shelters, apartments, or other short term housing units. The program is wide ranging and can assist people of all backgrounds, including veterans, senior citizens, and single parents. The transitional housing programs can also help Kissimmee area families enroll into job training and budgeting workshops and learn about financial aid and other resources. Click here.
Government assistance - Low income and unemployed residents of Osceola County can get help in the form of public benefits. The Department of Children and Families in Kissimmee Florida can provide information and applications. Residents can benefit from programs such as the following.
- Medical care and assistance with bills from Medicaid or Medicare for seniors.
- Utility bill assistance - LIHEAP.
- Help for funeral expenses and needs.
- Numerous other resources are available from public aid in the county. Continue.
Osceola Christian Ministry Center administers several programs for the needy and low income. Minor medical needs, including prescriptions, dental care and treatment for infections is offered for the uninsured. Other assistance offered includes clothing, food, meals, and referrals to emergency financial assistance. 700 Union Street, Kissimmee, FL 34741, call (407) 944-9968
Eviction prevention and housing programs - Osceola County runs a homeless prevention and rental assistance resource. In addition, several churches, charities, and non-profit organizations also provide residents access to several services, including financial assistance, referrals, and case management. These various programs help hundreds of low income and struggling families every year. Read more on the various solutions available.
Free food assistance
The following centers, churches, and charities distribute food, groceries, meals, and other aid. Some locations may have clothing, diapers, baby formula, and holiday meals. Unfortunately not everyone who needs food will qualify, as most pantries rely on donations from local businesses and people of all income levels across Osceola County.
- Holy Redeemer Catholic Church - Call this church at (407) 847-2500.
- First Christian Hispanic Church is located in Kissimmee. The needy, regardless of race or religion ,may qualify.
- Locate more Osceola County pantries. Find their phone numbers, addresses, and information on the application process.