latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Search the site

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money





Rental assistance programs Sonoma County.

Locate charities, government organizations and churches that provide rent payment help to low-income tenants or struggling families in Sonoma County. Get emergency help with paying housing costs, including security deposits, back rent, moving costs or landlord application fees. Or find free lawyers that help low-income tenants avoid an eviction as well as free hotel vouchers. Apply for rental assistance near you in Sonoma County CA from agencies listed below.

A majority of the financial assistance for housing is for seniors, single moms, veterans and disabled people in Santa Rosa CA and the county. Several agencies will help the homeless or low-income families facing an eviction. Emergency rent assistance may come in the form of a grant, loan, or they offer legal aid or section 8 housing vouchers. The funds are intended to pay a portion of overdue rent, however there may also be assistance for other expenses such as security deposits and other housing related costs.

The most common name of the programs in Sonoma County include homeless prevention or rapid rehousing. However the agencies that do offer some form of rent assistance may also call their programs by other names. Any type of funding paid out is usually combined with other support, such as help in locating permanent housing, budgeting and other support. Or locate free temporary housing for homeless people.

Organizations that help with rent in Sonoma County CA

Close the Gap from the Petaluma Services Center
1500 Petaluma Blvd. South, Petaluma, CA, 94952. Phone number is 707-765-8488
Rent help is available only for senior citizens only that meet income limits and that live in Petaluma. There are also low-income, subsidized senior housing and apartments offered.

DSLC Housing - Disability Services and Legal Center
Location is 521 Mendocino Ave., Santa Rosa, California, 95401. Main phone - 707-528-2745
Staff will help the disabled in Sonoma County. They have an application process for grants from HCA or SOS. The money can be used for back rent or paying security deposits as well. They are also partners of the Task Force on the Homeless.

Rent grants and housing referrals
Low-income renters, immigrants, migrant workers and anyone in need can get free referrals. Get details on charities that help with housing, HUD eviction prevention programs, cash assistance and more. Call (707) 565-2108 for information from non-profits organizations.




Face To Face
They only help people with HIV and/or AIDs. Main address is 873 Second Street, Santa Rosa, California, 95404. The main phone number fore the charity is 707-544-1581
Patients, or their families, can get emergency financial assistance, including for rent or utilities. Or access transitional housing, medical transportation and other social services.

La Luz Center
17560 Greger Street, Sonoma, CA, 95476. Phone: 707-938-5131
One time rental assistance, which may be in the form of a loan, is offered. They use HCA funds to stop an eviction, and rehousing can assist with a deposit for families or single parents with children. Emergency rent assistance applications are also in Spanish.

Season of Sharing Fund
Limited financial aid is for housing costs. This may include energy bills, rent, moving costs, or security deposits. They also take partner in state of CA funded programs.

  • Catholic Worker - 437 A St, Santa Rosa, CA 95401. Phone 707-575-8342
  • 443 Hudson Street, Healdsburg, California, 95448, dial 707-433-6161
  • This office is for the elderly only - 30 Kawana Springs Road, Santa Rosa, CA, 95404, dial 707-525-0143

Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program
Grants are issued for everything from rent arrears to more. Clients also participate in case management, can get help in locating an affordable apartment in Sonoma County, and can apply for loans for rent or utility deposits and more. This is also combined with budgeting classes.

  • 987 Airway Court, Santa Rosa, California, 95403. To apply, dial 707-575-4910.
  • Another intake site is at Committee on the Shelterless on 900 Hopper Street, Petaluma, CA, 94952. Call 707-765-6530.

Friends in Sonoma Helping
The agency is also known as FISH. The address is Sonoma, California 95476-0507.
Dial 707-996-0111. Or learn more on FISH Sonoma County.





Wallace House Community Services
Location is 126 North Main Street, Cloverdale, CA, 954253346. Dial 707-894-2727
Transitional housing is combined with help in obtaining state identification, vouchers for food, funds for a deposit, and other homeless assistance programs for immigrants.

Legal Aid of Sonoma County
144 S E St Suite 100, Santa Rosa, CA. Phone - (707) 542-1290
Free, pro-bono lawyers from legal aid tackles housing and civil matters. Low income families as well as seniors can get eviction advice and help in dealing with landlords. They also help people facing housing discrimination, help tenants with repairs to a home or rental unit and offer other free consultations.

Sonoma County Housing Authority
1440 Guerneville Road, Santa Rosa, CA 95403-4107. Call (707) 565-7500
They process applications for public housing from the government as well as section 8, which often has a waiting list. There are also no-waiting list apartments in Sonoma County as well as section 8 rent, subsidized homes as well as emergency vouchers.

Community Action Partnership of Sonoma County
 141 Stony Cir #210, Santa Rosa, CA 95401. Phone: 707-544-6911
The non-profit tackles homeless and assists tenants with eviction notices. Money for rent as well as bills such as energy or transportation is offered. They also have staff that provide mortgage counseling and applications to rental subsidies from HUD or the state of California.

Salvation Army Santa Rosa Corps
93 Stony Cir, Santa Rosa, CA 95401. Phone: 707-542-0981
The Christian, faith based charity operates everything from emergency shelter to rent programs and transitional housing. There is also furniture or additional support for veterans and youth in Sonoma County. Or get free motel or hotel vouchers. Call the charity at 707-542-0981, or stop by the office at 93 Stony Circle.

Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Santa Rosa
987 Airway Ct, Santa Rosa, CA 95403. Call (707) 528-8712
The church helps the poor, women facing domestic violence, homeless people and others. Everything from temporary housing to rent money, furniture for an apartment and more. Details on rent assistance from Catholic Charities Sonoma County.

Sonoma County Mobile Home Owners Association
They help mobile home owners. There are referrals to financial assistance, guidance on dealing with lot rent or landlords, intake on right and obligations as well as other support. Dial 707-696-5077.





Tenant Right Protection of Sonoma County
A statewide service. Tenants, seniors, the unemployed and others can get help in dealing with questionable or illegal rent increases. Or learn about what to do if facing housing discrimination or other barriers. Dial 510-271-8443.

InterFaith Shelter Network
2455 Bennett Valley Rd., Santa Rosa, CA 95404. Telephone: (707) 546-7907
The main program is a shelter, but from time to time emergency rent help (or linkage to a resource) is offered.


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara


Additional Local Programs












Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site