Oklahoma public assistance.

Families who need help in Oklahoma can receive services from public assistance. The state offers many types of resources and emergency assistance for low income families, seniors, children, and the disabled across the region. Find details on most of the public assistance programs offered by the Oklahoma Department of Human Services below.

Oklahoma Child Care Assistance Program - Financial assistance can be provided to low-income families that are searching for employment, currently working, or families that have a provider who is in job training. Funds for paying for child care expenses can also be provided to families who are enrolled in the Oklahoma TANF Program and who need to pay for child care services to support their efforts toward self-sufficiency. Your local county department of human or social services runs the program at the local level in your town.

Oklahoma Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) can offer cash assistance to families with children who need help paying bills and providing for their families. The resource provides temporary cash assistance in meeting basic needs, training which can lead to employment, employment services and child care assistance for qualified families. It was originally created by the federal government to assist participants in terminating their dependence on long term public and government benefits.




So money is offered to pay immediate expenses, but more importantly TANF will help with employment, job preparation, work and try to create self-sufficient families. Case managers can help people develop strategies that focus on ensuring that families sign up for work activities as soon as possible so they can gain an income to pay bills on their own. Find more details on cash assistance in Oklahoma.

Adoption Assistance - Families who adopt can get financial assistance for needed human and social services, including medical support, to care for children.

Credits on your tax return can be obtained from the Earned Income Credit. Oklahoma can provide savings on your state and federal income taxes. In addition, receive information about eligibility for Earned Income Credit and also dependent and child tax credits.





Newcomers to the state of Oklahoma may qualify for refugee assistance. Cash, public aid, and medical bill assistance programs are available to eligible lower income refugees for up to eight months after they arrive in the United States or the state of Oklahoma.

Oklahoma food stamps or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance. This program is one of the nation’s key nutritional resources. The resources offered by the Department of Human and Social Services help raise nutritional levels of low-income households, with a focus on children and those who are most at risk. Food assistance can also be offered by various School Nutrition services. For example, the USDA Child Nutrition program can help low income children receive a free or low cost school lunch. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides families with a card that they can use to buy food at their local supermarket or grocery store.

Electric and utility bill assistance - Get information about grants and cash assistance to help low-income households pay summer cooling and winter heating bills. Examples include LIHEAP and weatherization. An emergency component can provide help for families who have received utility cut-off notices.

SoonerStart – This is the state of Oklahoma's early intervention program for toddlers and infants with disabilities or education developmental delays. It can also address their medical needs. Find more details on Oklahoma free community clinics.

Public assistance for Aged, Blind and Disabled – The state provides financial assistance and cash grants to the blind, aged, and disabled individuals who receive Medicaid Services and who have been determined financially eligible for help. Disabled are also referred to other social services and non-profit agencies across the state.

Children with Special Health Care Needs - Provides care to children with special needs. Their families can also get help too. Specialty services offered can include formula for children with PKU, specialty services for children diagnosed with sickle cell anemia, outreach clinics in rural areas, respite care services, and neonate services.




TEFRA, otherwise known as Health Care for Children with Disabilities, may allow children with mental or physical disabilities, who would not ordinarily be eligible for SSI benefits because of their parent's resources or income, to become eligible for public care from Medicaid.

Health care and assistance with medical bills can be provided by SoonerCare, which is also the Medicaid program. It can provide government Medicaid health coverage benefits.

SoonerCare Patient and Prescription Assistance – This service provides information about how to get assistance with paying for prescription drugs and medical items like hearing aids. Find how various resources In Oklahoma can help people save money on their medications.

Disabled Children's Program, which is part of Supplemental Security Income. The program, which is paid for by federal government public aid, may be able to assist children from birth to age 18 who receive a Supplemental Security Income Disability Payment (SSI). They can receive cash assistance in paying for health care and any medical equipment needed.

Earned Income Credit – The agency can offer information about eligibility for the federal government Earned Income Credit and child and dependent tax credits as well.





How to apply in Oklahoma

All of these public assistance and social services are offered by the Oklahoma Department of Human Services, which can be reached at (405) 521-3646.

Assistance from Cities and Counties

Cleveland County

Oklahoma County

Tulsa County



By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy