latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed




State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Oklahoma public assistance.

Programs in Oklahoma County provide low income families, children, and seniors with public aid. A number of state and federal government funded resources and social services are administered across the greater Oklahoma County region. Families who need help may qualify for free food, energy bill help, and low cost or even free health care.

Food stamps, which has been renamed to SNAP or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance, is the food and nutrition safety net of the state and nation. Social services and resources from the program are dedicated to raising the nutritional levels of low-income households in Oklahoma County by offering free food, groceries, educational resources and referrals to low income families.

The SNAP food assistance program serves as the so called first line of defense against hunger. It enables low-income families, in particular those with children and/or seniors, to buy nutritious food. Clients will be provided vouchers on an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards. People who receive SNAP food stamps will be able to spend their government benefits on eligible food and groceries.

Individuals who receive SNAP may also be able to get help from nutritional education, which can assist them and their families with living a healthier life. The service that provides this is known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Nutrition Education, or SNAP Ed. This resource was created between the Oklahoma County/State Department of Human Services, USDA Food and Nutrition Service, as well as Oklahoma State University- Cooperative Extension Service. Food stamp recipients and other low income families can receive education.

School Nutrition is also offered at Oklahoma County schools from the USDA Child Nutrition program. This is available in both private schools and residential child care institutions.

Refugee Assistance includes direct cash, social services and medical bill assistance. These publicly funded resources are available to eligible refugees for up to eight months after they arrive in Oklahoma County.





Receive health care from SoonerStart. Please note that this is Oklahoma County's early intervention program for toddlers and infants with developmental delays and disabilities.

Receive public assistance and cash in Oklahoma County from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. This service provides short term, temporary cash assistance in helping people meet and pay for their basic needs. Other social services and resources provided include training leading to employment, child care assistance for qualified families, and employment services. This is a federal government funded program for children deprived of support and who need help because of a parent’s unemployment, incapacity, absence or death.

All cash assistance is distributed to the low income family on a time-limited basis through the government TANF program. The primary purpose of this federal government program is to provide temporary support to the needy, and help them meet and pay for their basic needs, including rent, housing, utilities, medical bills and similar expenses. In addition, job training offered can lead to employment, childcare assistance, and employment services for income qualified families with children.

The Oklahoma County Pharmacy provides free prescription medication to qualified low income and uninsured residents of the region. A doctor needs to prescribed the drugs, and an application and interview process will also need to take place.

Electric and Utility Bill Assistance is offered to low income households in Oklahoma county. You can receive information on a public program known as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, or LIHEAP. This can offer cash and grants to help low-income households pay summer cooling bill and winter heating bills who have received utility cut-off notices. Other support can deal with an energy crisis, summer cooling and/or weatherization. From time to time funds may be offered for home repairs too.

Family Planning is offered to people who get Medicaid. Various services are offered to all persons who are currently qualified to receive Medicaid services, including coverage for birth control and examinations methods.





Children with Special Health Care Needs – Children with serious medical conditions or special needs can receive care. Some of the conditions covered by this public care program include formula for children with PKU, neonate services, specialty services for children diagnosed with sickle cell anemia, respite care services, and also outreach clinics in rural areas.

The Burial / Cremation Program is offered by Social Services in cooperation with Office of the Medical Examiner as well as local area funeral homes. The county pays for and coordinates  services for low income and indigent persons who died in Oklahoma County, and who can’t pay for funeral costs. Click here for more on funeral assistance.

Health Care for Children with Disabilities, or TEFRA, will allow children with mental or physical disabilities, who would not ordinarily be eligible for government care or SSI benefits because of their parent's resources or income, to become eligible for Medicaid.

SoonerCare is Medicaid in Oklahoma County. It provides Medicaid health coverage benefits to qualified individuals, including financial assistance in paying Medicare premiums and bills. Also get information about Medicare Part D.

Health Screening, Diagnosis and Treatment (EPSDT) are services that establish a schedule of health and medical exams to ensure the continued health of Medicaid eligible individuals up to age 21.

Call the Oklahoma County Social Services at (405) 270-0082 for more information or to apply for help.




By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site