Assistance programs Muscogee County and Columbus Georgia.
Find churches, charities or non-profits, churches and government assistance programs from DFCS in Muscogee County. There is emergency rent or utility bill help along with food stamps, free groceries from pantries, furniture for a new home as well as other financial assistance. Or get government grants or loans for paying security deposits, medical costs, or transportation expenses in Columbus Georgia.
There are also free, donated items or services. Low income families in the Columbus GA area and working poor can get free school or educational supplies as well as legal advice or placement into housing. Or apply for gas vouchers or a car to get to work, free health insurance or medical care, and so much more - as details are below.
Community Action emergency financial assistance and grant money
Residents of Columbus, Fort Benning, and/or Muscogee County Georgia have some places to turn to for financial aid or free items They include the Enrichment Services Program, Inc, which is the main community action agency for the county. Find details on both options here.
The poor, unemployed, and low-income will get support from Enrichment Services, which is the local Columbus and Muscogee County Georgia community action agency. They offer the services below.
- Emergency Food and Shelter Program: This assistance program was designed to help low and moderate income families in obtaining food, utility bill assistance, shelter, and rental assistance for a period of time of 7 to 30 days. This is part of a financial support program.
- USDA Surplus Commodity (TEFAP): The Emergency Food Assistance Program will grant lower income households with free food aid and groceries in the form of USDA commodities. Applicants can use the program up four times per year.
- Employment & Training: A free service that provides assistance with career development, job development, job placement and retention. There may also be technology services provided, such as free internet service.
- Free debt and credit counseling is offered by community action. The non-profit works with non-profits in Columbus Georgia to help clients get out of debt and/or rebuild their credit.
the goal is to help Muscogee County families get relief with credit card bills, medical debt, or even an auto loan.
- Energy Assistance and Weatherization: The federal government funded Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) will assist both low and moderate income families with offsetting the increased cost of energy bills, with a focus on winter home heating costs. However, people may be able to get help with summer cooling bills. On the other hand, weatherization provides minor housing renovation, updates, and repairs to help people with the increasing costs of energy for low income families. It will provide them with free energy updates to their homes. More on Georgia LIHEAP.
Many other resources are offered too, around transportation, case management, free gas cards or educational support and more. Contact the agency at (706) 649-1600. The address is 2601 Cross Country Dr Suite C, Columbus, GA 31906. Or click more information Enrichment Services Program, Inc.
The Army Emergency Relief Financial readiness program is available in Muscogee County. The service provides extensive help to military members, veterans, and their immediate families. In many years there are millions of dollars provided to service members and/or veterans in the Fort Benning region. Government grants and financial literacy is offered. The goal is to take the stress of financial hardship off the Soldier and their family so that she or he can concentrate on their mission and so they don’t have to worry about other matters.
While the services offered do vary, most of the program’s assistance is given in the form of no-interest loans, however cash grants are also available. The funds provided from the Financial Readiness Program can be used for any emergency that may come up including food, rent and utilities, vehicle repair and maintenance, or even travel arrangements and expenses. Find other government low income loan programs.
All soldiers, their family members and even veterans can request assistance, which is approved by appointment on a case-by-case need basis, by picking up an application which is located on site. Although applications will be processed as soon as possible, the wait time will be shorter for those who use a command referral, which allows a Soldier’s company commander or first sergeant to be the approval authority for up to $1,000. That can really accelerate the application process. The groups tries for a 24-hour turnaround on those. Call (706) 649-1600.
Mission Columbus Central offers the following assistance programs.
- Free food pantry for groceries, personal stuff including soap, toilet paper or feminine items, fresh food and more.
- Medical and Health Care Clinic for Families with no or limited insurance, Low to no income, must not qualify for federal government Medicaid or Medicare or have private insurance.
- Dental assistance for not insured persons only, must provide your total income from a wage inquiry and qualifications.
- Emergency rent assistance (the last $25 or $30 of rent)
- Bus fare or gasoline money or vouchers. In some cases, a free new or used vehicle is for the low income in Columbus GA.
- Eye Exams for low income and uninsured. Click here for more on eye exams and glasses.
- Clothing bank assistance that gives new or gently used clothes once every three months
- Utility and cooling bill assistance (the last $25 or $30)
- Prescription drug assistance for heart, insulin, and blood pressure issues or diagnosis only.
- Advocates help low-income people, seniors and the unemployed get insurance, as there are state and federal benefits. Learn more on free health insurance or medical care.
Call the Columbus GA agency at (706) 507-4672. Thje address of the charity is 3679 Steam Mill Rd, Columbus, GA 31906.
Chattahoochee Valley Episcopal Ministry, Inc. - The non-profit agency runs several assistance programs and provides resources to qualified clients, including single moms. They include offerings rent assistance and making help available the first week of the month only or until funds run out.
The non-profit will also giveaway free work attire and clothes. Transportation assistance is made available to help with providing gas money, car repairs and maintenance, screened bus tickets, student bus passes. Or get free or low cost food. And referrals to government programs and local charities is also offered. Columbus Georgia based. Call (706) 327-2836
Urban League of Greater Columbus, Inc. may have some limited financial assistance, but they definitely focus on helping people and families improve their financial situation. For example, they offer employment education and training, free tax help, rental and utility assistance, counseling, and other support. They focus on minorities, women, and the disadvantaged in Muscogee County. For information, the non-profit is at 802 1st Ave, Columbus, GA 31901. Call (706) 322-6840. there is also help for people with a record, such as ex-felons, and learn more on help for ex felons.
UMC, or United Methodist Church, is another national charity that helps the poor, homeless, and low income. There are also some assistance programs for veterans in the Columbus Georgia region. This is a national charity with a wide variety of resources for income qualified families. Find United Methodist Church assistance programs near you.
Samaritan Fund (phone number (706) 327-4958) may offer prescription drug assistance, available once in 12 months. There is also immediate utility bill assistance, and gasoline for clients who have written proof of a job interview or doctor's appointment.
St. Anne's Outreach - This is another non-profit that helps the low income and poor in Muscogee County Georgia. Among the programs include prescription medication, utility and cooling bill assistance, a free food pantry, blanks during the winter and fans during the summer. The charity can assist with holiday gifts and meals, such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. Dial (706) 568-1592 to make an appointment.
Valley Rescue Mission offers utility assistance are available on Wednesday and Thursday, Thanksgiving and Christmas meals, Baby items, Free food from a food pantry, Clothing, and Medical equipment. This is just a sampling of the programs and resources that are offered to the low income and needy in the community. Call (706) 322-8267.
Columbus Georgia Salvation Army offers numerous services including those listed below.
- Limited prescription medications and vouchers.
- Free diapers and baby supplies. More on free diapers.
- Seasonal aid including free back to school supplies or notebooks, Thanksgiving turkey dinners, and Angel Tree Christmas toys.
- Limited financial assistance and grants for paying delinquent rent, mortgage and utilities.
- An on site thrift store.
- Boxes of food around the holidays, including Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- A food pantry and soup kitchen.
- Housing solutions, including referrals to security deposit programs in Columbus, emergency shelters, and other support.
Many other assistance programs are available either by referrals or directly from the corps center. More details on Columbus Georgia area Salvation Army.
During the Christmas and Thanksgiving holidays, free assistance is available in Muscogee County. There are a diverse number of agencies, ranging from the Salvation Army (Angel Tree) to toys for tots and churches that help the low income. Find free food, meals, Christmas gifts and more. Continue with free holiday help in Muscogee County.
Mortgage and rent payment assistance in Muscogee County is from the non-profit Homeless Resource Network, Inc. (phone (706) 571-3399) focuses on providing housing support services. Limited financial assistance and grants may be available if the applicant was served an eviction notice or if they received intent to foreclose (mortgage) from their lender, if the applicant has an utility disconnection notice, or if they have had a loss of income within 6 months or request for assistance.
Low cost or free community health care clinics Columbus GA area
Central Alabama Comprehensive Health, Inc. offers medical care on a sliding fee scale. They offer comprehensive health care for all medical problems, including services for pediatrics, internal medicine, family practice, and dental care for individuals and low-income families.
They also offer preventative services such as free blood pressure checks, immunizations, health screening, family planning and health fairs. There is also help for people on Medicaid or with no insurance in Muscogee County. Call (334) 727-7050.
Low income households can get other health care or dental care as well. Everything from Muscogee County clinics to Medicaid benefits, prescription card discounts, and even government programs such as Health Resources and Services Administration, which works with the state and charities.
Food pantry, free groceries and assistance programs
Columbus Baptist Association offers a food pantry and clothing bank that people can use once every 2-3 months. Free school supplies, work clothes and other personal stuff is given away. Call (706) 322-7757 The address is 4650 Veterans Pkwy, Columbus, GA 31904.
Other non-profits, churches, and charities to contact for free or low cost food and groceries include First Baptist Church Food Closet ((706) 322-4468), Grant Chapel AME Church ((706) 682-1770), as well as Paul's Pantry (phone (706) 682-2927).
Residents have other food assistance programs available to them as well. Resources range from charity run pantries to public aid such as SNAP food stamps or even soup kitchens. Some even offer free Christmas meals or summer snacks for children. Find even moree food pantries in Muscogee County and Columbus.
Credit counseling, debt reduction, and foreclosure prevention
The Family Center covers much of the surrounding area. Among the credit programs offered include Consumer Credit Counseling Service for all sorts of debts, loans, and bills. There is also Information on foreclosure prevention tactics and programs, credit repair and reports, bankruptcy counseling and advice, as well as Debt management program. Call (706) 327-3238, or click here for more debt assistance programs.
Help with payday loans, car title obligations, and other predatory lenders is offered. The focus is on alternatives, including help avoiding them such as other grants, are available. A focus is on offering options to military service member, but anyone in the region can explore them. The federal government has the One Source program for military members or their families, and learn more on free Military OneSource.
Another non-profit to try is Consumer Credit Counseling Service. Call (706) 327-3239. Among other services provides is the fact that they are a financial counseling service that assists individuals and families with money management. They offer debt reduction plans, offer help on budgeting, free or low cost foreclosure prevention, and general financial education including with car loans or check cashing. Find additional non-profit credit counseling agencies, or dial (706) 327-3239. The address is 1350 15th Ave, Columbus, GA 31901.
Related Content From Needhelppayingbills.com