Maine Salvation Army financial assistance.
Salvation Army Corp centers can offer direct assistance. Some of the resources offered to Maine families include a food pantry, clothing vouchers, referrals, and limited financial help for emergency basic needs. Social Service Case Workers can meet with individuals and refer them to local programs, or provide direct assistance and support. They will also work with clients to create a long-term solution to their hardship.
The Salvation Army also responds to disasters and other emergencies across Maine. They provide a canteen, volunteers, and other support. Those with a crisis may be eligible for limited assistance via vouchers, food pantries and thrift stores. The emergency service may include clothing distribution, feeding (mass and individuals), shelter, and counseling.
People can shop at Salvation Army Family Stores. Families can always find great values on items such as furniture, clothing, and household goods. The centers serve families from all walks of life, regardless of their income or culture. They provide quality clothing, furniture, household goods, sporting equipment, books, electronics and more to the community at affordable prices. Your purchases always help others in need, as 100% of the proceeds go directly toward funding other charitable work. Proceeds from Maine Family Thrift Stores are used to fund social services, assistance programs, and other works.
Soup Kitchens operate across the state, and they feed hundreds of people hot meals each day Monday through Friday. Some centers may offer food on Sunday or Saturday mornings. Many times this is the only hot meal that members of the community may have each day. Volunteers are always needed, especially around the holidays.
Emergency assistance is offered in Maine. The Salvation Army serves thousands of seniors and lower income families with fuel oil, hot meals, warm coats, or Christmas toys. Other social services include free food bags, emergency rental assistance, Thanksgiving meals, and so much more. Case management and self sufficiency is also offered at the same time as emergency aid.
The Salvation Army in Maine also has a focus on assisting with utility bills, in particular gas and heating costs during the winter. They offer support, such as grants or vouchers for oil, to keep low income families warm. They also offer crisis solutions, and find more details on emergency utility assistance bill assistance programs.
A food pantry is run in most communities. They do their best to respond to an increased number of requests that come in, which is mostly due to these tough economic times. They offer services to help people meet obligations like paying rent while also help them keep food on the table for their families. By offering basic needs like groceries or food, the Salvation Army is meeting one of the critical needs for those needing a little help to get by.
Many pantries are open limited hours, and will only help people who live in the immediate area. The food banks provide yet another opportunity for people to volunteer at the Salvation Army, as food is packed and organized at times during the week.
Holiday assistance is offered to the needy and particular children, through the generous support of the community. Programs such as Angel Tree and Adopt a Family help thousands of households and seniors. Clients receive free food, clothing, winter coats, toys and household items around Christmas.
Holidays provide many children and families a sense of tradition and joy. Especially when someone is struggling, celebrating holiday customs can help provide a sense of peace and relief for individuals and families, especially children. The Salvation Army in Maine tries to spread hope to people in the community. Social workers will meet with families to help them. Children and seniors are some of the big beneficiaries. They provide kids food baskets, Christmas toys, and holiday food and meals. If you are in need of assistance or help around the holidays, contact the center near you. Some specific programs are the Red Kettle (which needs volunteers) and Angel Tree.
Salvation Army Center locations in Maine
- 11 North Pearl Street, Augusta, Maine, 04330, call (207) 623-3752. Read more information.
- 65 South Park Street, Bangor, ME 04401, dial (207) 941-2990. This location serves Penobscot County and other nearby areas as well. Food, emergency help for bill or rent, and more is available. Read more on Salvation Army Penobscot County.
- 25 Congress Avenue, Bath, ME. 04530, telephone (207) 443-3611
- 12 Court Street, Houlton, ME 04730, dial (207) 532-2322
- 67 Park Street, Lewiston, Maine 04243, call (207) 783-0801. Or find more details on Salvation Army Androscoggin County.
- 2 Sixth Street, Old Orchard Beach, ME 04064, phone number is (207) 934-4381
- 297 Cumberland Avenue, Portland, ME 04101, call (207) 774-4172. Click more details.
- 27 Payne Avenue, Rockland, Maine 04841, call (207) 594-5326
- 871 Main Street, Sanford, ME 04073, dial (207) 324-3134
- 225 Main Street, Waterville, Maine 04903, primary phone (207) 872-2172
- York Maine and the southern part of the state has a few Salvation Army centers in the area. Services include case management, holiday assistance, housing, shelter, financial support. Read York County Salvation Army assistance programs.