Free holiday assistance programs in Maine.
Free Christmas gifts, holiday food boxes (including at Thanksgiving) and other assistance is available across the state of Maine. The programs, including Angel Tree as well as free Toys for Tots among others help children get a gift, provide meals as well as free food (including Thanksgiving turkey dinners) to an entire household. The elderly in Maine may also have warm or frozen Easter, Thanksgiving or Christmas meals delivered to them or attend a free holiday event. Find free Christmas help near you in Maine.
Churches, charities and other groups also spread holiday cheer among the state of Maine. Each of the agencies in the state focus on meeting a certain need. They are also local in nature, and any family seeking help at Christmas, Easter or Thanksgiving should contact an organization in their region. However the Salvation Army does operate across the state, and they offer toys, games, free Christmas gifts, holiday food baskets and more. Many town and social service offices in Maine also provide free Xmas gifts, food baskets, and hold donation drives for their residents, or look here for a free Christmas Tree programs.
Applications for holiday assistance are available from the organizations below. Bring proof of income, residency, as well as identification, including for kids. As noted, most of the holiday support is only for families/seniors in the local community. Some Christmas programs also focus on supporting the sick, elderly as well as the homebound.
Free Christmas gift giveaways Maine
Freeport Community Services and the Holiday Helpline
Address is 53 Depot Street
Freeport, Maine 04032
Telephone number: 207-865-3985 x205
The non-profit has both food (at Thanksgiving as well as Christmas) and small gifts for children. Donations are needed too. Volunteers can also use the charity to help serve the needy during the holidays.
Harpswell Santa Fund
Mailing address is PO Box 242
Harpswell, ME 04079
Primary phone number is 207-833-6950
Food, clothing, winter jackets, and even financial aid may be paid out to the needy.
Mid Coast Hunger Prevention Christmas Meal
Location is 84A Union Street
Brunswick, Maine 04011
For intake, dial 207-725-2716
A free hot meal is served on Christmas day. Anyone can stop by, including low income families, seniors, the homeless, and others seeking holiday cheer.
This service is available all across the state. They offer programs including Adopt-A-Family, free toys for kids, gifts for a family, and winter Coats for Kids as well. Or look into Angel Tree or apply for free Thanksgiving or Christmas food baskets. There is also an assistance programs for the elderly known as Adopt-A-Senior.
- Portland Citadel Corps and Community Services Holiday Programs, Main address is 297 Cumberland Avenue, Portland, ME 04101, Telephone: 207-774-6304
- 179 Main Street, Suite 313, Waterville, ME 04901, call 207-623-3752
- Another Salvation Army center is at Eastern Avenue, Augusta, Maine 04330, main number is 207-623-3752
- 67 Park Street, Lewiston, ME 04240, main number is 207-783-0801
- 25 Congress Avenue, Bath, ME 04530, application number is 207-443-3611
- 871 Main Street, Sanford, ME 04073, main number is 207-324-3134
- Try the site at 27 Payne Avenue, Rockland, Maine 04841, telephone number is 207-594-5326
- 871 Main Street, Sanford, ME 04073, main number is 207-324-3134
- Other locations are out there too. Find other free holiday help from Maine Salvation Army.
State of Maine Toys for Tots
This is an assistance program run by local charities. Children under the age of 14 can get free Christmas gifts, presents or toys. The goods depend on what was donated, but may be books, clothes, electronics, trucks or dolls, legos, and more. Applications for Toys for Tots are offered in most towns, cities, and counties throughout Maine. Apply here - pick your county. https://www.toysfortots.org/request_toys/toys-city-county.aspx?txtState=MAINE.
Bath/Brunswick Santa Claus Fund
Main address is PO Box 278
Brunswick, Maine 04011
Written requests are needed. But the charity may have winter mittens, socks, Christmas and holiday toys, and more.
Cumberland County including Portland Christmas and Thanksgiving
The largest county. Children, immigrants, seniors and others can get free Christmas gifts, Thanksgiving meals and other goods. Learning games, matchbox cars, sporting goods, or meal baskets too.
- Other referrals are also available to Christmas programs in Cumberland County. Send a request to email@example.com and learn about Toys for Tots and other resources. Many charities and churches assist children and others during the holiday.
- Free Thanksgiving dinners are held in the county. Locations include Berean Baptist Church at 15 Cumberland Street, Brunswick, Maine 04011 (phone 207-725-2648); Wayside Food Programs which is at 156 State Street, Portland, ME 04101 (phone 207-775-4939), and other local churches.
The address is PO Box 6846
Scarborough, Maine 04070
Telephone number is 207-883-5111
Many assistance programs are run. They include emergency food, services for the Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas holidays, as well as many others. The non-profit assists Scarborough residents with their needs.
St. Mary's Church and the Wells Ogunquit Outreach Committee
Location is 256 Eldridge Road
Wells, ME 04090
Intake number is 207-360-1088
There are free food baskets, toys and gifts for the Christmas holiday .
Each town has a holiday service. They are only for low income residents or the poor, and the exact program will vary. They may serve meals at Thanksgiving and/or Christmas, provide small gift baskets, and have an occasional gift for a kid.
- Town of Smithfield: address is 926 Village Road, Smithfield, ME 04978. Main number is 207-362-4772
- Town of Kennebunkport - 101A Main Street, Kennebunkport, Maine 04046, number 207-967-4401
- Town of Dexter main office is at 23 Main Street. Residents can dial 207-924-7351 x17
- Town of Benton Christmas Program – Address is 1279 Clinton Avenue, Benton, Maine 04901. Call 207-453-7191.
- Town of Fairfield Low Income Holiday Program is at 19 Lawrence Avenue, Fairfield, ME 04937, main number is 207-453-4284
- Town of Kennebunkport Secret Santa program, 101A Main Street, Kennebunkport, ME 04046, phone 207-967-4401
- Bath/Brunswick Santa Claus Fund, Brunswick, ME 04011, phone 207-751-6385
Vassalboro Food Station Pantry at the Vassalboro Fire Station
Main location is 679 Main Street
Vassalboro, ME 04989
Second Congregational Church - Kid's Christmas Shopping and Pancake Breakfast
19 Crescent Street
Biddeford, ME 04005
For intake, dial 207-284-7898
Meals are served to the public. In addition, children 5 and under can get free pre-wrapped gifts.
Maine Children’s Home in Waterville
This is a local program that often helps hundreds of children per year. Get free Christmas gifts such as dolls, trucks, Legos, video or board games and more. There may be free winter clothes, jackets and other goods. Call 207-873-4253.
Central Maine Family Christmas Dinner
76 Industrial Street
Waterville, ME, 04901
First Congregational Church Christmas Meal
The location is 17 East Main Street
South Paris, Maine 04281
Intake number: 207-674-5279
Kiwanis of Dover-Foxcroft Christmas Project
Dover-Foxcroft, ME 04426
The non-profit volunteers run the Christmas assistance program. There is assistance for your child, and there may be free warm winter clothing, presents, hats, and other gifts.
Emmaus Homeless Shelter - Christmas For Kids
51 Main Street
Ellsworth, Maine 04605
Holiday help is only for “guests” of the shelter. There is also a Turkey dinner at Thanksgiving.
Christmas as well as Thanksgiving Holiday Food Boxes
129 Lower Main Street
North Berwick, ME, 03906
Bethel Christian Church - North Berwick Christmas Project
Main address is 129 Lower Main Street
North Berwick, ME 03906
Main Phone - 207-676-2691
Low income parents, or guardians, can request a toy for their kid at Christmas. There may be games, shoes, books, dolls for girls, and more.
St. Peter's Episcopal Church – Thanksgiving and Christmas Community Meal
11 White Street
Rockland, Maine 04841
Belfast Soup Kitchen Holiday Dinner
Main address: 9 Field Street
Belfast, ME, 04915
Traditional Thanksgiving and Christmas meals are served.
United Methodist Church is at Berwick Table of Plenty Christmas Dinner
37 School Street
Berwick, ME 03901
Volunteers prepare and serve hot meals.
Hope Haven Gospel Mission
209 Lincoln Street
Lewiston, ME, 04240
Telephone number is 207-783-6086
Free toys, holiday meals, presents, and stocking stuffers are provided to the needy.
Neighbors Supporting Neighbors Christmas Assistance
2402 Route 2
Hermon, ME 04401
Both clothing and other free Christmas gifts are available. Hats, boots, games for kids, vouchers for some families, and even gift cards. Another resource is the Christmas Stockings for Seniors.
Rural Community Action Ministry
Main address is 81 Church Hill Road
Leeds, ME 04263
Dial 207-524-5095 for information on the Christmas Gift Program.
Several other regional charities may offer toys, based on county. Or they give food, gift cards to low income families, holiday baskets (Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas) and other assistance. They include:
- American Legion Ladies Auxiliary Post #72 of Oxford County (172 Paris Hill, South Paris, Maine, 04281 Phone: 207-291-0250)
- Kids Peace of Cumberland County (49 Atlantic Place, South Portland, Maine 04106, dial 774-226-8414)
- Harrison Food Bank of Cumberland County (30 Brown Mill Road, Bridgton, Maine, 04009, dial 207-647-3384)
- Auburn PAL Center (Police Activities League) of Androscoggin County (24 Chestnut Street, Auburn Maine, 04210 phone 207-576-2415)
- Poland Community Foodbank of Androscoggin County (1208 Maine Street, Poland, Maine 04274 phone 207-376-5653)
York Table of Plenty
First Parish Fellowship Hall
York, ME 03909
A hot Christmas Dinner is served.
Winthrop United Methodist Church
The Christmas Giveaway at Tabitha's Closet has new and gently used toys, electronics, books, trucks for boys, and games available to the needy.
Location is 58 Main Street
Winthrop, ME 04364
Christmas Open House
1 Hutchinson Street
Sanford, ME, 04073
Full holiday meal (Christmas and Thanksgiving) served.
United Methodist Church
Address: 131 Main Street
Newport, ME 04953
Applications are accepted to the Christmas Angel Giving Tree. There may be toys, clothing, and personal items.
Church Community Outreach Services, Inc.
Kennebunk, ME 04043
Number is 207-604-0445
Kittery Table of Plenty Christmas Social at St. Raphael's Church
Main address is 8 Whipple Road
Kittery, Maine 03904
Telephone number: 603-534-7779
Crossroads Ministries Holiday Giving Program
Location is 2 Wood Street
Old Town, Maine 04468
Telephone number is 207-817-6025
Free Christmas gifts, meal boxes, and toys. Applications are accepted during December.
Pittsfield Community Christmas Project Food Pantry
The location is 128 Connors Avenue
Pittsfield, Maine 04967
Meat, Turkeys, hams, and other holiday meals are served. There may be small gifts for kids too.
Related Content From Needhelppayingbills.com