latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State Financial Resources

Assistance Programs by County

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Extra Income & Work From Home Jobs

Public Assistance

Disability Assistance Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Energy Bill Assistance

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescription Drugs

Free Medical Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Paying Bills

Car Loan Assistance

Interest Free Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Kansas rental assistance and Tenant Based Rental Assistance.

The Kansas Housing Resources Corporation (KHRC), will in most years provide millions of dollars to local charities and non-profits. The funds are part of the Tenant Based Rental Assistance (TBRA) program, which is part of HUD. In general, there are charities and non-profit agencies across the state that help struggling families pay for their rent, prevent evictions, and help them find affordable housing.

The original grant is funded through the federal government HOME Investment Partnerships Program and it is administered in Kansas by KHRC. The TBRA program allows charities, non profits and other organizations the ability to provide rental subsidies, security deposits and utility deposits for income-eligible families and individuals.

How much rent help is provided

The program will provide residents with up to two years of rental subsidy assistance. The funds help low income families, single parents, the elderly, victims of domestic violence, and persons with disabilities obtain affordable housing in their community. The subsidy for a portion of their monthly rent can be used for apartments or stand alone homes that may be leased.

The goal is by reducing a portion of their monthly expenses, this will also assist them with staying in their housing. Households who qualify for aid will generally pay less than 30 percent of their income for rent. The security and utility deposit assistance provided is one-time-only and it may be offered in the form of a loan or a grant to the applicant.

Learn more or apply for the assistance at the following organizations. In addition to providing applications and help from the Tenant Based Rental Assistance, they also offer self-sufficiency programs. Read more on Family Self-Sufficiency resources from section 8.

Area Mental Health Center - They offer rental assistance, with a focus on the disabled. Finney and Ford County. (620) 227-5040

Bert Nash - Funds from the non-profit range from Rental Assistance, grants for Security or Utility Deposits and more. City of Lawrence, Douglas County. (785) 842-8110

Salvation Army of Sedgwick County - A homeless prevention program is available. Sedgwick County low income families can apply for Rental Assistance programs from charitable agency. Main number (316) 262-3160 x 125. Or more on Salvation Army in Wichita.





Hutchinson Housing Authority - The government funded agency will offer TBRA Rental Assistance. Other funds can assistance with Security Deposits. City of Hutchinson. (620) 663-8415

Independence Housing Authority - Rental Assistance is for very low income families and seniors from this Kansas organization. City of Independence is supported by this housing agency. Dial (620)332-2538

Manhattan Housing Authority - Grants are used for Rental Assistance. Formerly homeless families seeking to move can also apply for Security Deposits as well as Utility Deposits. City of Manhattan, Pottawatomie County. (785) 776-8588 Ext. #103

Northeast Kansas Community Action Program - A leading non-profit. They offer Rental Assistance to stop evictions, funds for Security or Utility Deposits, legal aid, job training and more. Atchison, Brown, Doniphan, Jackson, Jefferson, Marshall, Nemaha counties. (785)-742-2222 Ext #223

Prairie View - Local residents can apply for help with their rent. The area served is Harvey, Marion, McPherson Counties. Telephone number is (316) 284-6439

Southeast Kansas Community Action Program - Based on government funds, there may be one time assistance with back rent, security deposits or moving expenses, and assistance with a portion of Utility Deposits. Residents of the following counties in Kansas can contact this agency. They serve Allen, Bourbon, Chautauqua, Cherokee, Crawford, Elk, Labette, Linn, Montgomery, Neosho, Wilson and Woodson Counties. (620) 724-8204 Ext. #1004

Southwest Guidance Center - Federal funds from TBRA can be used for deposits or a rent subsidy. Counties covered include Meade, Haskell, Seward, Stevens. (620) 624-0280 Ext. #23.


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy


Search Site