latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Search the site

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money





Rent assistance Sedgwick County Kansas.

Get help with paying rent, security deposits and housing costs in Sedgwick County. Find charities, churches and government programs that help low-income tenants as well as homeless people. Learn how to apply for emergency rental assistance in Wichita, section 8 housing vouchers, or get free attorneys for tenants facing eviction. There is information on places that help pay rent near you in Sedgwick County and Wichita below.

While anyone can apply for a grant, emergency funds, or low-income no wait list housing, a focus of financial help is on disabled people, single mothers, seniors and low income families with children. Most of the rent assistance or a free hotel voucher is very short term and temporary in nature. Many programs will require that applicants also go through self-sufficiency type programs, such as budgeting and job training. The reason being that these Sedgwick County Kansas programs are not charity services, and have strict conditions and time limits in place.

If you are on the verge of eviction, had a job loss, or are faced with a financial hardship, then contact one or more of the non-profits or government programs below. Speak to a case manager to see what they can do, if anything, to help you pay your rent or utility bills in your time of need. Or look here for a low income apartment for rent near you.

Organizations that help with rent in Wichita and Sedgwick County

Mennonite Housing Rehabilitation Services – This non-profit provides homeownership services, such as first time home buying programs, for low and moderate income households across Sedgwick County. They can help renters move from leasing to owning. The office is located at 2145 N. Topeka, Wichita, Kansas 67214, dial (316) 942-4848

Harvest America is a local organization that relies on government funds. This non-profit organization provides housing services and emergency rental assistance for low and moderate income households as well as tenants, including programs such as TBRA. Not only can clients can referrals to grants or other forms of rent help, but counseling and more is provided. Some resources can even help with issues such as home repairs and weatherization. Telephone 913-342-2121, or find more details on Harvest America.




DCF Kansas and Wichita Region is the main government affiliated agency based at 2601 S. Oliver
Wichita, KS 67210. Government cash assistance, a portion of which could be used for rent or a security deposit or housing, is provided as part of TANF. They also offer job counseling, information on low income apartments, and other support. Call (316) 337-7000 or 1-800-766-3777.

Task Force to End Chronic Homelessness provides emergency eviction help and programs to rehouse families. Rent and security deposit help along with shelter or motel vouchers are available from charities as well as non-profits. When needed, free legal aid is arranged too. Learn more on eviction help in Sedgwick County.

Salvation Army of Sedgwick County has multiple locations. There are many assistance programs, including limited emergency rent help, for low income families and people in poverty. There is also free motel vouchers in a crisis, furniture for a formerly homeless person moving in an apartment, and more. The charity also operates programs such as SSVF. This will focus on veterans, however there may also be transitional housing or information on no interest loans for expenses such as rent or utility bills too, if the client is faced with an eviction.

  • Salvation Army West Orchard Corps is at 1910 S Everett St, Wichita, KS 67213. Call (316) 943-9893
  • Wichita Salvation Army center is at 1739 S Elpyco, Wichita, KS 67218. For information, dial (316) 685-8699
  • The downtown center is at 350 N Market, Wichita, KS 67202. Dial (316) 263-2769

Sisters Of St. Joseph Dear Neighbor Ministries, Inc. – This non-profit provides transitional housing and a homeless shelter to women in crisis, case management for clients in poor neighborhood, home visitation, and emergency assistance for paying rent in one of the poorest areas of town. Also access other government and public assistance. The programs is known as Hilltop Emergency Assistance, and the charity address is 1329 S. Bluffview, Wichita, KS 67218. Call (316) 684-5120.

Center of Hope Homeless Prevention Assistance Program – Works to prevent evictions. The organization can assists needy families by paying their rent, thus enabling them to remain in their own homes or apartments. Government grants or other forms of financial aid may be provided, even including cash loans for deposits or past due rental costs. Stop by the address below for information. Location is 1100 E 1st St., Wichita, KS 67202. Call (316) 267-0222. More on Center of Hope assistance in Wichita.





Family Promise of Greater Wichita helps struggling families with in children pay their rent or access housing. They also provide financial help and services to single mothers or dads in Wichita KS. There is also free housing items, referrals to transitional housing and other support - in addition to rent assistance applications. The charity is at 401 N. Emporia, Wichita, KS 67202. Dial (316) 977-7026

Housing Stability from the city help tenants with an eviction notice or the currently homeless. Everything from free grant money to pay rent to vouchers for HUD programs, including no waiting list housing in Wichita. There is also money for first months rent and deposit as well as utility connection fees.

Section 8 vouchers are offered for the city of Wichita only, emergency emergency section 8. Housing stability training is also required from low-income families. The agency is part of Housing and Community Services, 455 N Main St #10, Wichita, KS 67202. The intake number is (316) 462-3700

Military and Family Readiness Center (M&FRC) helps military members, veterans, National Guard and their families. Get help from HUD-VASH, rent assistance grants, information on affordable no-waiting list apartments and more. The address is 53147 Kansas, McConnell AFB, Wichita, Kansas 6722. There is un designated financial help, including rent assistance, a Transition Assistance Program (TAP) and more. Dial (316) 759-6020.

Mulvane Care and Share Center, Inc only helps families in the Mulvane School District #263. Get rent payment help, money for storage or moving costs, utility bill help to stop homelessness and more. Location is 1014 N 2nd Ave, Mulvane, KS 67110. Call (316) 440-6687.

Sedgwick County Housing Department is located at 211 Hymer Dr, Sedgwick, KS 67135. They run the federal government section 8 housing choice voucher rental assistance for the working poor and low income households outside Wichita but still within Sedgwick County. Other services include housing rehab and repair programs for owner-occupied units outside Wichita and Park City. Seniors can also benefit from a component of the section 8 program. Telephone  (316) 772-5354 or (316) 660-7270

StepStone – Provides transitional housing for survivors of domestic violence, including women and children as well as single moms. Location is 1329 S Bluffview Dr, Wichita, KS 67218. Call (316) 265-1611 They can also help women stabilize and eventually find affordable housing, and give referrals to first months rent help.

Second Chance Leasing works to prevent homelessness and evictions. Tenants can explore a combination of grant programs for security deposits, free advice and guidance, and information on affordable housing in the region. Other resources include referrals to loans, credit repair, or details on non-profits that can help with future rent payments. Address is 221 South Broadway in Wichita, and call 316-201-3148.

Sedgwick Legal Services has attorneys that offer free advice on housing challenges. They offer support on discrimination, advice in applying for section 8, and advise tenants on their rights when they have an eviction notice. A focus is on seniors and the working poor. Call 1-800-723-6953.





United Methodist Open Door – Offers shelter and access to a transitional housing program. Address is  2130 E 21st St N, Wichita, KS 67214, phone (316) 267-4201

St. Joseph Pastoral Center - Catholic Charities is located at 437 North Topeka Street, Wichita KS 67202-2413. Any financial aid for rent or housing is for veterans only. But there are other resources, including shelter as part of St. Anthony, referrals to grant programs, social services and even free furniture. Find everything from referrals to one time rent help to money for deposits and more. Call 316-264-8344.


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara


Additional Local Programs












Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site