latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Kansas disability benefit programs.

Residents with a disability can get help in Kansas. The government and non-profits listed below provide disabled individuals with several benefits and financial aid programs for their needs. They range from cash assistance, health care, to assistance for their care givers and family members.

The programs that are available in the state are mostly run by the Kansas Aging and Disability Resource Center, however other agencies and non-profit organizations may also assist as needed. Each and every group and staff member that works at them will work to ensure that residents with a disability and their family members receive the support they need over the short and long term.

As mentioned, the Aging and Disability Resource Center provides several benefits and assistance programs for the less fortunate and poor. They coordinate care and long term support for caregivers and the disabled. Some of the main services organized are noted below.

  • Home Care Services includes assistance with household tasks and other personal care.
  • In-Home assistance is organized for the disabled. The center will coordinate services and products to people with disabilities and the elderly. This is intended to help them reside in their current home. Assistance includes free home modifications, personal care, help with other household tasks, and home health care.

The Disability Resource Center organizes Personal Assistance Services for Kansas families. This includes several different components including the following.

  • In-home skilled nursing support and other health care services such as occupational therapy and physicals.
  • A Home Delivered Meal Program is available in some parts of Kansas. This will provide for the delivery of prepared meals and/or groceries.
  • Medical Equipment for disabled is when the state will offer a variety of equipment and supplies for rent or purchase.
  • The Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) is government Medicaid/Medicare long- term care and medical services for seniors and/or the disabled.




Community based services will help Kansas residents, including those with a disability, live independently. Clients of the center will normally use a combination of in-home and community-based services to maintain their independence.

Day services include social activities, health care, and free meals in community setting, according to an individual plan of care.

The disabled can also look into a number of Self-Help and Support Groups. These are usually made up of a small groups of senior and disabled residents people who have something in common.

Lastly, there is also Early Intervention for Infants and Toddlers with Disabilities. This government assistance program will help special needs children maximize their potential.

Housing and Long-Term Care can include Assisted Living communities, where elderly and disabled residents enjoy low cost, private apartments. The state may also offer a studio or one-bedroom living space, including personal care and housekeeping services. There are additional benefits such as Home Plus, which is non-medical care in a small group setting and also Residential Health Care Facilities. Congregate Housing is a form of private living space. It will have common dining and social areas.

The Kansas Disability Resource Center will also coordinate some Medical Services. This can include, but is not limited to, Hospitals, Rehabilitation and outpatient centers. These will all offer services for individuals and help them address a wide range of medical needs. There are Rehabilitation Centers, Hospitals, and also Renal Dialysis Centers that are all part of this program.

Caregiver resources support those individuals and family members that are caring for a disabled family member. This activity can be both challenging and also rewarding. However finding the right resources for the care giver can help during these times.

For more information on any of those benefits, call the Kansas Aging and Disability Resource Center 1-855-200-2372







Department for Children and Families provides financial assistance for basic needs. One of the resources that focuses on the disabled is the Low Income Energy Assistance Program, or LIEAP. Grants may be issued for paying heating bills. Food assistance is offered for lower income households including those who are unemployed or disabled.

The General Assistance Program provides access to medical care and public health benefits for persons who are disabled. This can include medications, check ups, and more. To learn more on any of these Department for Children and Families resources, call or stop by a local social service office.

Kansas’ Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services (SRS) Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing works to empower Kansans with disabilities to become gainfully self-sufficient through employment and job training.

Those residents with disabilities who become employed can increase with sufficiency and also help the economy. They will spend their earnings in local communities on groceries, housing, transportation and other items. Their reliance on public assistance is reduced and they will also contribute as tax payers. There are a number of benefits to full time employment. (785) 296-3271

Additional Kansas disability programs and agencies

Autism Society–The Heartland
P.O. Box 860984
Shawnee, KS 66286-0984
Main number is (913) 706-0042

Brain Injury Association of Kansas and Greater Kansas City
6701 West 64th Street., Suite 120
Overland Park, KS 66202
(913) 754-8883

Kansas’ Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired (KABVI)
603 S.W. Topeka Boulevard, Suite 304
Topeka, KS 66603
Toll-free (800) 799-1499

Kansas’ Association for the Deaf
P.O. Box 10085
Olathe, KS 66051

Kansas’ Department of Education
Address is 120 SE 10th Avenue
Topeka, KS 66612-1182
Main phone number is (785) 296-3201

Kansas’ Department of Health and Environment - This statewide organization has several departments for the disabled and those with a medical condition. Some of the main phone numbers and information is below.
Bureau of Health Promotion, Injury and Disability Prevention Programs, Emergency Medical Services for Children, 1000 SW Jackson, Suite 230, Topeka, KS 66612-1274, (785) 296-4491
Disability and Health Program, 1000 SW Jackson, Suite 230, Topeka, KS 66612, call (785) 296-7990

Kansas’ Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services (SRS) also offers various programs to the disabled. The main locations are below. All of them are run from an office at 915 Southwest Harrison Street, Topeka, KS 66612.

  • Community Supports and Services for People with Developmental Disabilities, call (785) 296-3271
  • Council on Developmental Disabilities, 915 SW Harrison, Room 680 West, Topeka, KS  66612, main number is (785) 296-2763
  • Economic and Employment Support (EES), dial (785) 296-3271
  • Mental Health Services, 915 Southwest Harrison Street, Topeka, KS 66612, main phone (785) 296-3271
    Rehabilitation Services, Dial (785) 296-3271
  • Vocational Rehabilitation Services, call (785) 296-3271

Office of the Governor, Commission on Disability Concerns (KCDC)
900 SW Jackson Street, Room 100A
Topeka, KS 66612-1246
Toll-free:  (800) 295-5232





Kansas’ Statewide Independent Living Council
700 SW Jackson Street, Suite 212
Topeka, KS 66603-3758
Dial (785) 234-6990

Learning Disabilities Association of Kansas
P.O. Box 4603
Olathe, KS 66063

Paralyzed Veterans of America, Kansas Office
5500 East Kellogg, Bldg 61, Room 109
Wichita, KS 67218
Phone - (316) 688-6875

South Central & Western Kansas National Multiple Sclerosis Office
Location: 9415 East Harry, Suite 706
Wichita, KS 67207
Main phone number is (800) 344-4867

United Cerebral Palsy of Kansas
5111 East 21Street North
Wichita, KS 67208
Call (316) 688-1888


By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page