latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Indianapolis and Marion County rent assistance.

Rental assistance programs can help qualified Indianapolis and Marion County Indiana families pay their monthly housing expenses. Learn about churches, charities, section 8 HUD vouchers, low cost apartments, and government resources. Find how to apply for a wide number of resources for paying rent or security deposits, ranging from grants to loans or charity programs. Funds to help pay any rental arrears may be issued by a number of programs, including those offered by the state of Indiana, federal government, your town, churches and local regional non-profits.

Many towns and cities in Marion County also offer their own local emergency and financial assistance programs, which can be used to pay rent. This is a requirement of each town and county and is available as part of Indiana state law. These are known as the Indiana Township Trustee Programs. Each housing and rental assistance program that is administered in the Indianapolis area will have its own criteria for applying, and most have limited funding. Find an extensive listing of your options below.

The Latino/Hispanic community in Indianapolis can contact La Plaza for financial assistance. The non-profit provides the low income with a wide variety of assistance programs and services. Among those services includes include low income housing advice, assessment, counseling, referral to rent and energy assistance, case management, advocacy, job counseling, outreach, and follow-up. When funds are available at the agency, the low income clients who qualify for help may even apply for direct financial assistance to pay rent, mortgage, housing expenses, and other bills. (317) 890-3292

Southeast Community Centers
901 South Shelby Street
Fountain Square Center
Indianapolis, Indiana 46203
(317) 236-7400
This non-profit center can offer rent assistance to individuals who live within boundaries: N-Washington St.; S-Thompson Rd.; E-Post Rd.; W-I-65 of the city.

Christ Church Cathedral ((317) 636-4577) pays up to $50 for the first ten qualified individuals who look for housing or rent assistance.




Forest Manor Multi Service Center. Dial (317) 545-1204 for information on grants and rent assistance. Referrals and other support may be provided.

Hawthorne Community Center administers the Center for Working Families. The non-profit is based at 70 North Mount Street in Indianapolis, Indiana. Dial (317) 637-4312

Martin Luther King Community Center
40 West 40th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46208
(317) 923-4581
If you live within boundaries of N-71st St.; S-23rd St./Fall Creek Pkwy.; E-Fall Creek Pkwy./Binford Blvd.; W-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. St./Michigan Rd, you may be able to apply for rent assistance and/or low income housing. Depending on the financial and employment situation of the applicant, some clients are issued a loan for their rent payments.

Community Alliance of the Far Eastside – Phone (317) 890-3288. Low income residents who are living within boundaries: N-56th St./Pendleton Pk.; S-Washington St.; E-Carroll Rd./County Line; W-I-465 in Marion County can apply for assessment, referrals to non-profits and community action agencies, outreach, information, advocacy, and additional follow-up services.

Indianapolis branch of Indiana Legal Services - Assists low income and working poor individuals with civil matters. One service is for addressing housing issues and free legal aid for problems that prevent families from meeting their basic needs. So this includes eviction assistance, delinquent rent, or concerns on unsafe housing. (317) 632-5764.

The Plaza helps the Hispanic and Latino community in Marion County. Call (317) 890-3292. Emergency aid, including loans, may be offered for rent, mortgage, utility bills, or security deposits. It is only for qualified residents, as funding allows. Location is on 8902 East 38th Street.

Concord Center Association
1310 South Meridian Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46225
(317) 637-4376
The non-profit covers the area of boundaries: N-Washington St., S-Thompson Rd., E-I-65, W-White River.





Community Services Department provides housing and rent assistance to all of Marion County and Indianapolis. The phone number is 317-926-4357. The primary program they offer is the Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program, which can provide money to pay for moving expenses, security deposits, and recurring rent for at most 18 months. Case management is also offered as part of this process. Read more on community action agencies in Marion County.

Fay Biccard Glick Neighborhood Center at Crooked Creek, located at 2990 West 71st Street in Indianapolis ((317) 293-2600) can offer services such as case management, housing counseling, information, and referral to non-profits and local charity organizations. Also find out about government rent assistance programs. While funding is limited, when money is in fact available, low income or struggling clients in crisis situations may apply for help with paying their monthly rent, mortgage, or utility bills too.

Anna's House – People who live in the Stringtown area of Indianapolis can apply for rental assistance. Programs cover those living within boundaries: N-Michigan St.; S-Washington St.; E-White River Pkwy. Dial (317) 631-5504.

Harbor Light Center offers temporary housing, food, and more, along with case management. After a low income apartment has been located, get referrals to potential security deposits, grants or programs to pay for a portion of first months rent. (317) 972-1450.

Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic, located at 3333 North Meridian Street, can also assist with housing issues in Marion County. They offer pro-bono legal consultation and representation with landlord / tenant mediation, public benefits disputes (including section 8 vouchers) and eviction notices can all be dealt with. Low income, unemployed, and seniors may all benefit. Call (317) 429-4131.

HVAF - Hoosiers Veterans Assistance Fund offers apartments, low income housing, some emergency rental support, loans for paying bills, and more to veterans and their families in Indianapolis. So it is available if they are homeless. Phone - (317) 951-0688.

American Legion of Indianapolis serves veterans and/or their immediate families. The non-profit may be able to offer emergency financial assistance to qualified veterans to provide for the basic needs of their minor children, including rent help, shelter, free food, clothing, furniture, and medical care. Call (317) 916-3605 to apply for assistance, which of course is not guaranteed.

Marion County Continuum of Care (CoC) is a group focused on ending homelessness. Resources are available for stopping evictions, and can include money for paying rent arrears or legal mediation. Rehousing is also provided, such as placement into shelter, vouchers for motels, and utility or rental deposit help. Find eviction help in Marion County.

Catholic Charities Indianapolis, which is based on 1435 North Illinois Street in Indianapolis and can be reached at (317) 236-1512, can pay at most $25 towards monthly rent.

Crisis Centers in Marion County offer a number of services. They range from applications to grants for helping with rent to homeless shelters, job placement, furniture, and more. Single mothers, the sick, low income and others in a crisis can get help with their housing needs, including utilities, rent, mortgages, moving costs and more. Continue with Crisis Center rental assistance.







Indianapolis Housing Agency is involved in running the section 8 housing choice voucher program, or HCV. The non-profit, government affiliated agency runs the income based, rent subsidy that allows thousands of low income families, seniors, and disabled pay for an apartment or home. They also have information on home buying programs, public housing, ESG grants and other resources. Address is 1935 N Meridian St, Indianapolis, IN 46202. Phone (317) 261-7200.

Marion County and Indianapolis Salvation Army Fountain Square can provide limited amounts of financial assistance to low income families and individuals who are in a financial hardship, who are in a short term crisis, or who are facing eviction or disconnection when funds are available.

Apply for immediate crisis assistance with paying your rent, utility bills, or other emergency financial needs (such as housing or disconnection) may be offered if all other means, government programs and other options have been exhausted. Address is 1337 South Shelby Street, Indianapolis, Indiana. Dial (317) 632-0156.

Rent help from Marion County Township Trustees

Each local town in Marion County has a emergency financial aid type program. It is almost a form of welfare. But there may be government grants to help pay rent, energy bills, or housing costs to stop an eviction or homelessness. Any funds are a last resort for residents of the town only.

Center Township Trustee,
863 Massachusetts Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
Phone number of the rent program is 633-3610

Decatur Township Trustee,
5410 South High School Road
Indianapolis, Indiana 46221
Phone: 856-6600

Franklin Township Trustee,
Center address - 6231 South Arlington Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46237
Phone: 780-1700

Lawrence Township Trustee,
9001 East 59th Street
Suite 101
Indianapolis, Indiana 46226
Dial 545-7860 for help with rent

Perry Township Trustee, Marion County
4925 South Shelby Street
Indianapolis, IN 46227
Phone: 788-4810

Pike Township Trustee, Marion County
5665 Lafayette Road, Suite C
Indianapolis, Indiana 46254
Phone: 291-5801





Warren Township Trustee,
501 North Post Road
Suite A
Indianapolis, IN 46219
For rent or deposit help, or information on shelters, call 897-2071

Washington Township Trustee, Marion County
5117 North Michigan Road
Indianapolis, IN 46228
Call 252-5222 for rental programs

Wayne Township Trustee,
Address - 5401 West Washington Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46241
Phone: 241-4191

Clay Township Trustee
10701 North College Avenue, Suite B
Telephone number - (317) 846-2773

By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site