Hillsborough County New Hampshire and Manchester assistance programs.
Find how to get financial help. Struggling households can get assistance with utility or heating bills, rent or mortgage payments in Hillsborough County. There are churches, charities, government social service offices including Division of Family Support or non-profits that offer support.
The grants or loans for paying bills are combined with free groceries or clothes from pantries, security deposit help, medical or dental care as well as free prescription drugs and more in the Manchester as well as Nashua region. Learn where to apply for help with paying those bills as well as how to get bus passes or gas vouchers, job placement services, and cash aid.
Rent, utility, heating bill help, and free food in the Manchester and Nashua areas
Thousands of families and individuals in New Hampshire are struggling in the current economic environment, and the Southern New Hampshire Services, Inc. (SNHS) offers these people several resources and services so they can get help with their bills, and get back on their feet.
- Help with heating bills - Grants to pay heating bills are dispersed through the state of New Hampshire via local centers. The fuel assistance grants will be provided via the federal governments Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program. If you apply and are accepted, money to help pay your heating bills will be sent directly to your gas, oil or electric companies. Or if your heat is part of your rent, the money will be paid directly to your landlord. The exact amount of the grant will vary, but amounts provided will range from $150 to $1,125 for the heating season. The state average amount of assistance provided to people in need was $726. Each year, applications for heating aid are accepted beginning July 1, and the government program has been in existence for decades.
- Emergency Loans - This emergency program, which is currently being funded by both Bellwether Credit and St. Mary's Bank, will provide qualified participants with emergency assistance loans that can be used to pay bills or other expenses. St. Mary's will accept applications for the loans from clients in Manchester, Nashua, & surrounding towns. The maximum loan amount provided cannot exceed $1,000, and is payable within an 18 month period. Another option is Bellwether Credit Union. They only accept applications for loans up to $500 from clients in Hillsborough County. Find other loan products.
- Rent Assistance, Eviction Prevention - If you are behind or struggling with your rent, short term assistance is offered to families who have rent or even utility bill arrearages. The program is targeted at those facing an immediate eviction or utility termination notices, and if they are at imminent risk of becoming homeless or being evicted from their home or apartment. Click here to find other rent programs.
- Senior Energy Assistance Program (SEAS) - The SEAS program will provide funds to pay energy bills in an amount of up to $270 per elderly household for individuals. People who are 60 years of age or older may apply. These funds are in addition to any money the applicant may receive from the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).
- Neighbor Helping Neighbor Program - Another option for people who need help with utility and heating bills is the Neighbor helping Neighbor program. The program provides cash grants and funds for utility bills, heating, and energy assistance. Money can pay for electric or natural gas bills. Money will be paid to individuals who are experiencing some type of financial hardship, if they have an energy bill disconnect pending, and if they are ineligible for help from the Fuel Assistance Program mentioned above.
- Heating System Repair or Replacement - If your heating system has broke or has malfunctioned, this program provides services to make energy saving improvements to your home, such as a new, energy efficient emergency heating system repair or replacement.
- Weatherization - This federal government program will help people reduce their heating and energy bills. It will help them increase energy efficiency of their home and reduce household energy costs, and the average savings can be several hundred dollars per year. The program is free to qualified applicants.
- Senior Citizen Subsidized Housing - There is support for low income elderly residents of Nashua or Manchester as well as seniors who live on social security. Apartments, condos, private homes, and other units may be offered. Learn more on, and find affordable housing for seniors on social security.
- Workforce Investment Act - Southern New Hampshire Services, Inc. works closely with the Workforce Opportunity Council (WOC), other local Community Action Agencies and also the New Hampshire Employment Security to provide the following services to help people get a job. They offer resume writing, on the job training, job retraining, and other employment services.
To learn more about these programs, or to apply, stop by the Southern New Hampshire Services, Inc. (SNHS) community action agency at 40 Pine Street, Manchester, NH 03103. They also have other offices around the county. Feel free to call them as well at (603) 668-8010.
Nashua Soup Kitchen and Shelter offers numerous assistance programs. Call them at (603) 889-7770. In addition to providing free food and meals, the non-profit agency has a limited amount of funds and financial assistance that is available. The money can be used for utility bill, heating, or rent assistance.
Note that the funds provided to clients are considered a loan, which can be paid back over time with money or volunteer hours. Programs also help people find a job, offer resume reviews, provide work clothes and computers, among other support.
In addition, NSKS will offer advice to immigrants in the area, such as Hispanics. They can also free clothing or personal goods such as diapers to low income families as well as single moms and others. Many other services are run by the charity, and find resources from Nashua Soup Kitchen and Shelter.
Society of Saint Vincent has multiple churches and parishes in Hillsborough County NH. They can provide emergency financial assistance (bills, rent, medical, etc.) as well as free stuff (food, hot meals, clothes, etc.). Volunteers help the poor, homeless, elderly, and needy. There are also low cost thrift stores for shopping referrals, and spiritual counseling too. Charities such as Saint Patrick Parish and St. Pius X Parish are part of this organization. More on Saint Vincent De Paul assistance programs Hillsborough County.
Corpus Christi Food Pantry and Assistance Program - Will assist low income and other needy individuals with providing them financial aid. The cash assistance is provided to those people whose utilities are about to be shut off or disconnected. The agency may also have money to help pay rent. Other programs can help people pay for car repairs, provide bus tickets, and offer free food and other household supplies. Dial (603) 882-6372.
Nashua Pastoral Care Center / Front Door Agency - This facility supports Manchester, Nashua, and Hillsborough County residents. They provide rent help and eviction prevention from the Homeless Prevention Program. This service provides qualified and low-income individuals and families at-risk of becoming homeless (from foreclosure or eviction) with the basic necessities of life, such as: free food, shelter, help for heating bills, utilities, medical and dental care, clothing, transportation, and childcare. Other assistance programs can help people with utility bills, prescription medications, and offer non-profit debt counseling. Call (603) 886-2866
Free basic needs are offered by clothing closets, furniture banks and/or thrift stores. The non-profit sites, which are located across Hillsborough County, can provide either free or low cost items to the needy. Some of what may be available includes general clothing, work attire, Christmas toys and gifts for children, baby supplies, furniture, school supplies or backpacks and more. Additional information on free clothes, school supplies and furniture Hillbborough County.
Catholic Charities operates in southern New Hampshire, including in Manchester and Nashua. Several services are offered for low income, seniors, immigrants and working poor families. While financial aid is very limited, some of the resources include food, programs for the elderly, and referrals. Work with a social worker to find local resources or even apply for government aid such as food stamps or utility bill assistance. More Catholic Charities Hillsborough County.
New Horizons is a charity that focuses on the greater Manchester New Hampshire region. Some of what is offered is free medical care from clinics such as the HCH clinic, the Homeless Veterans Re-integration Program, groceries from a pantry, and emergency shelters. They also operate a soup kitchen and provide information on low income housing and programs to pay for security deposits in Hillsborough County New Hampshire. Read about programs from New Horizons.
Salvation Army - Nashua and Hillsborough County may be able to offer limited financial assistance for energy bills, medications, and they can provide free food. Several other resources are available too, including seasonal programs like school supplies or free Christmas assistance (gifts and meals).
There are several Salvation Army centers across the county and southern New Hampshire, so their coverage area is extensive. Other social services are offered in Manchester and nearby regions. These can include emergency rental assistance, shelter, and transitional housing. Other resources are available for senior citizens in the region. Dial (603) 883-7841. Or click more information on Salvation Army Hillsborough County..
Local free holiday assistance is available. Many of the charities focus on a small area and require an application from the Hillsborough County resident. However families, children, and seniors that are qualified can receive everything from a meal or food basket to free toys at Christmas. Also, please donate surplus goods or Adopt a Family if possible. More on Hillsborough County free Christmas assistance.
Housing, rent, and security deposit assistance may be offered. There are grants, loans, legal aid aid other eviction prevention services. Learn more on additional non-profits in Hillsborough County that can provide emergency rent help in Nashua and Manchester.
Free (or low cost) heating oil may be offered during the winter. Many southern New Hampshire households, and Nashua area families, use oil or propane to heating their homes. Both the government as well as non-profits give out oil, or grants, to pay for it. Find free heating oil for cold weather.
Foreclosure prevention and mortgage delinquency counseling
Two options include Neighborworks Grater Manchester ((603) 626-4663) as well as Neighborhood Housing Services Greater Nashua (call (603) 882-2077). One or both of these organizations may offer home mortgage loan workout options, including short sales and mortgage loan modifications. Advice on the foreclosure process and how to sop or avoid a filing. And they can offer one on one foreclosure counseling with a housing specialist. Learn more on New Hampshire foreclosure programs, including mediation.
Consumer Credit Counseling of NH also offers debt reduction and foreclosure assistance programs. Counselors from the non-profit organization will meet with clients and go over a number of solutions. During this process they will also offer other services such as financial literacy, budgeting classes, and credit repair. Phone (800) 327-6778.
Medical help and health care services
Manchester New Hampshire based Catholic Medical Center ((800) 437-9666 ext. 5382) provides health care in partnership with local Dartmouth-Hitchcock Manchester medical facilities. These programs include dental care, laboratory, radiology, nutrition and behavioral health services
Patients have several other clinics and health centers they can call for free medical care. Find a listing of additional free clinics in Hillsborough County.
Free food pantries in Hillsborough County NH
There are many non-profits focused on preventing hunger or serving hot meals. Free groceries, Christmas meals or small toys, and more aid is offered. If the three locations listed below can’t help you, there are additional food pantries, soup kitchens and sources of government aid. Find more Hillsborough County free NH food pantries.
Ark Church - Manchester New Hampshire - Call (603) 668-6226 or (603) 674-0426. Food and clothing is distributed.
Grace Lutheran Church - Nashua NH - Dial (603) 888-7579
Tolles Street Mission Food Pantry - Nashua - Phone number is (603) 880-4984. A food pantry is on site.
Salvation Army social services in Hillsborough County (and nationwide) provide free food, groceries and other hunger prevention services too. Whether it is a free box of groceries or a hot meal, help is provided. Find other free Salvation Army food assistance programs.