latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Homeless and eviction prevention programs Washington.

Hundreds of charities and non-profits offer homeless prevention and housing assistance in Washington. The State Department of Commerce also partners with several organizations listed below that they recommend low-income tenants or renters contact. Find where to get eviction prevention and rehousing in WA state below.

Each community center works with the state, and other groups, in an effort to prevent homelessness as well as evictions of low-income tenants, the unemployed and people in need. This includes helping tenants that are behind on their rent or homeowners that are facing a foreclosure. There is also assistance for the currently homeless in Washington, including security deposit assistance.

Financial help from homeless prevention and rehousing programs

Financial aid may be available, but it will be limited. Most of it comes from government grants or private donations. The amount available to pay for rent, a security deposit or housing costs will change from year to year, and even from month to month. Whenever possible, the agencies will offer direct financial aid to pay for an outstanding energy bills, rent, or maybe a partial mortgage payment. This will always come with conditions and priority is for those Washington families that are most at risk of homelessness.

If an organization does not have funds available, then they may instead offer a loan for the clients rent expenses. Or if that is not an option either, then referrals may be provided. Assistance is only offered to qualified low income or working poor families facing imminent eviction or a foreclosure. Any type of aid offered in Washington is for very short term needs and is not intended to be a "hand out".

When applying, be prepared with documentation and proof of hardship. This can include, but is not limited to, copies of tax returns, your lease, proof of income, and identification. The rental assistance is usually available for those facing a short term crisis that was not caused by them, such as maybe an unexpected car repair or illness.

The Emergency Solutions Grant is one key service. It can provide emergency financial assistance to pay a portion of rent in order to prevent evictions. For those that need a place to live, the non-profits that have access to ESG grants can rapidly re-house persons. This may include funds to pay for a security deposit, relocation costs, or a portion of the rent on the new apartment/home. As noted above, some families in Washington will be issued a loan for these deposits or their rental needs.




The program is formally known as ESG in the state of Washington. There are a combination of non-profits and local DSHS offices that offer this homeless prevention program. Not only may it pay for housing, but it offers help with rent in an emergency if the tenant is about to be evicted. ESG also pays for utilities, heat, and other costs in Washington.

Housing stability in Washington for tenants facing eviction

Case management is a key requirement. While short term assistance may be available in limited case to pay rent, the true objective is on breaking the cycle of homelessness. So various workshops on credit repair, employment, and other self-sufficiency sessions are offered. This can include referrals to one stop job centers or any number of state of Washington educational and employment resources.

There are several different government funded housing programs offered in Washington. They all have different conditions and funding levels. Most depend on annual allotments from the federal government Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

Enrolling into self-sufficiency workshops and case management is also required as part of rehousing. This is done even after moving into the new home. This will help ensure that the eviction doesn't reoccur in the future. Most of the financial aid in Washington is for very low income families or individuals who would be homeless if they are not able to receive help. HUD grants can provide for short-term or medium-term Rental Assistance, Stability Services, as well as Housing Search and Placement.

Other housing resources available in Washington, often in partnership with the Department of Commerce, include Tenant Based Rental Assistance vouchers, Continuum of Care, Housing Opportunities for People with AIDS, and the Independent Youth Housing Program

County and city homeless prevention programs in Washington

Many of the state and nationwide resources are above, and those rapid rehousing and homeless prevention programs are offered in Washington as well. However each county and city also offers their own local resources, either from charities or the government. Select a county below for grants, deposit help, free legal and more. Or scroll down for more resources.

Clark County

King County and Seattle

Kitsap County

Pierce County

Snohomish County

Spokane County

Non-profits for homeless prevention resources in Washington

Adams County
Integrated Health Care Services Department, Main address is 425 E Main St, Ste 600, Othello, Washington. Main number is 509-488-4074





Asotin County
Quality Behavioral Health, 900 7th St, Clarkston, Washington. Main number is 509-758-3341

Benton County
Benton and Franklin Counties Department of Human Services, 7102 W Okanogan Place, Ste 201 , Kennewick, WA. Call 509-783-5284
Tenants with an eviction notice and facing homelessness can call the department for referrals, and this can even include the possibility of free vouchers for a motel.

Chelan County
Chelan Douglas Community Action Council, 620 Lewis St, Wenatchee, WA. Call 509-662-6156

Clallam County
Serenity House of Clallam County, 535 E First St, Port Angeles, WA. Dial 360-565-5041
Call for information on programs for struggling tenants, including mediation services.

Clark County
Housing Solutions Center. Call 360-695-9677
This non-profit supports the city of Vancouver and the county. They are a resource for foreclosure and homebuying programs as well as eviction prevention assistance, ranging from grants to cash loans.

Columbia County
Blue Mountain Action Council, 1520 Kelly Pl, Ste 140, Walla Walla, WA. Phone: 509-529-4980
Case managers can provide information on shelters, low income housing, and federal government grants, among other housing programs.

Cowlitz County
Lower Columbia Community Action Program, 1526 Commerce Ave, Longview, Washington. Phone - 360-425-3430

Douglas County
Chelan Douglas Community Action Council, Address is 620 Lewis St, Wenatchee, Washington. Call 509-662-6156

Ferry County
Rural Community Action
42 N Klondike Rd, Republic, WA 99166. Call (509) 775-3331

Franklin County
Benton and Franklin Counties Department of Human Services
7102 W Okanogan Place, Ste 201, Kennewick, WA. Call 509-783-5284
Federal grants may be issued to help address housing needs, stop evictions, or rehouse the homeless.

Garfield County
Blue Mountain Action Council, 1520 Kelly Pl, Ste 140, Walla Walla, Washington. Telephone: 509-529-4980

Grant County
Housing Authority of Grant County, 1139 Larson Boulevard, Moses Lake, WA. Call 509-762-5541

Grays Harbor County
Coastal Community Action Program, 117 E Third St, Aberdeen, WA. Phone: 360-500-4528

Island County
Opportunity Council, 1791 NE First St, Oak Harbor, Washington. Main number is 360-679-6577

Jefferson County
Olympic Community Action, 803 W Park Ave, Port Townsend, Washington
Dial 360-385-2571 for information on security deposit programs.

King County
Call 211 for Centralized Phone Intake.
Referrals can be provided to a number of resources to stop evictions, and it can include emergency grants for paying back rent to free legal advice and more.

Kitsap Community Resources
845 8th St, Bremerton, WA. Call (360) 377-0053 or 360-473-2027.
Many housing programs are run, including for single parents and veterans.

Kittitas County
700 E Mountainview Ave, Ste 501, Ellensburg, WA. For homeless prevention referrals, dial 509-924-1448

Klicktat County
Washington Gorge Action Programs, 1250 E Steuben St, Bingen, Washington. Call either 509-493-2662 or 1-800-755-1192

Lewis County
Centralized Phone Intake 360-736-5140
Funds can assist with housing costs that could lead to an eviction, ranging from unpaid energy bills to back rent, and some local agencies offer loans for these costs. They also partner with other shelters and charities in the region.

Lincoln County
Family Resource Center
620 Park St
Davenport, Washington

Mason County
Mason County Shelter
216 N First Ave
Shelton, WA

Okanogan County
Community Action Council
Main address: 424 S 2nd Ave, Okanogan, WA. 1-877-641-0101 or 503-422-4041

Pacific County
Crisis Support Network, Location - 762 Ballentine St, Raymond, WA. Phone: 360-875-6702

Pend Oreille County
Pend Oreille Crime Victim Services/Family Crisis Network, 730 W 1st St, Newport, WA. Phone: 509-447-2274

Pierce County
Access Point for Housing - 253-682-3401 or (253) 383-3056
Administers low income housing, rental assistance and referrals to government grant programs. There is eviction help for residents in Tacoma and the region.





San Juan County
San Juan Island Family Resource Center
476 Market St, Friday Harbor, Washington. Phone: 360-378-5246

Skagit County
Skagit County Community Action Agency
330 Pacific Place
Mount Vernon, WA

Skamania County
Washington Gorge Action Programs
683 SW Rock Creek Dr, Stevenson, WA. Call 509-457-8229 or 1-800-755-1192

Snohomish County
Snohomish County Office of Community and Homeless Services
Address - 3000 Rockefeller Ave, Everett, WA.
Dial 425-388-3360 or (425) 388-7200 for information on housing programs. Tenants can get legal aid to stop an eviction, there is transitional housing, HUD vouchers for rent, and other support.

Spokane County
Online Prevention Assistance Intake number is 509-325-5005
Throughout the county there are non-profits that offer transitional housing or that can assist with paying a security deposit on a new, low income apartment or home in Washington. Pro-active support on preventing evictions is also available.

Stevens County
Rural Resources Community Action
956 S Main St, Colville, Washington. Telephone: 509-684-8421

Thurston County
Interfaith Works/Sidewalk (single men and women), 1139 5th Ave SE; Olympia, WA. Phone: 360-515-5587

Family Support Center (families with children)
201 Capital Way; Olympia, WA. Call 360-754-9297

Community Youth Services (youth up to 25 years of age)
711 State Ave NE, Olympia, Washington. Call 360-943-0780

Wahkiakum County
Health and Human Services
Main address - 42 Elochoman Valley Rd, Cathlamet, WA. Call the non-profit at 360-795-8630

Walla Walla County
Blue Mountain Action Council
1520 Kelly Pl, Ste 140, Walla Walla, WA. Phone: 509-529-4980

Whatcom County
Opportunity Council,
1111 Cornwall Ave, Bellingham, WA. Dial 360-734-5121
Support is for struggling residents, including veterans and senior citizens. Based on donations, there may be emergency money for rental expenses and other financial support to tenants with a pay or quite eviction notice from their landlord.





Whitman County
Community Action Center
350 SE Fairmont Rd, Pullman, WA. Call 509-334-9147 or 1-800-482-3991

Yakima County
Yakima Neighborhood Health Services - The Depot Homeless Service Center
602 E Yakima Ave, Yakima, WA 98901. Call 509-249-6232 or 509-454-4143 or 211


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page