latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State Financial Resources

Assistance Programs by County

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Extra Income & Work From Home Jobs

Public Assistance

Disability Assistance Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Energy Bill Assistance

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescription Drugs

Free Medical Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Paying Bills

Car Loan Assistance

Interest Free Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


Rent assistance in Pierce County and Tacoma.

Get help from the rental and housing assistance programs that operate in Tacoma and Pierce County Washington. Thousands of families and individuals receive financial assistance, emergency grants, and access to free eviction prevention programs or advice every year. Find churches, charities, and government programs to try for help with paying rent, moving costs, security deposits, section 8 vouchers and other expenses.

Below you will find a comprehensive listing of the agencies that can help the low income pay their rent in the greater Tacoma area. Get details on various low income housing assistance programs and phone numbers of where to apply for financial assistance, free motel vouchers or housing services. Even if an agency can’t assist, they can often refer struggling families, single mothers, the disabled or elderly to another government program, run by either the federal government or state of Washington that can help pay rent. As there are other resources that can assist with housing or security deposits.

Pierce County financial assistance for rent, deposits, and housing

Pierce County DSHS Community Services Offices, which can be called at (877) 501 – 2233 offers numerous financial assistance programs, including one known as Emergency Assistance. There is also the ERAT as well as ERAP emergency rental assistance program. Other services include TANF/WorkFirst, and it allows low income and working poor clients the ability to apply for supplemental financial aid. This cash be used for rental or utility assistance when faced with an emergency caused by circumstances out of their control, such as job loss or medical emergency. Or find how to get section 8 immediately.

Funding and cash grants may be approved for eviction notices; security deposit move-in costs for homeless individuals and families electric, gas, heating fuel, water/sewer or telephone utility shutoff notices. DSHS helps the low income and working poor in Pierce County with basic needs, including housing. The main address is 3602 Pacific Ave, Tacoma, Washington 98418.

Metropolitan Development Council, which is located at 721 S. Fawcett, Tacoma, WA 98402, offers low income housing and rent help for low-income families as well as individuals. Other assistance may include help with child care for homeless families, loans to pay rent as part of eviction prevention, funds for utility bills, or family counseling. Phone: 253-572-5557 or 253-597-6728, or read more on Metropolitan Development Council of Pierce County.




Pierce County Veterans Bureau (phone number 253-798-7449) can offer various forms of help to low-income and homeless veterans in Pierce County. Find help with rent, utility and heating bills. There are also free motel vouchers, funds for moving costs, information on VA benefits (including for housing needs) and food assistance.

Eatonville Family Agency may have limited cash aid in an emergency. Funding is limited. Money can pay for housing, energy, rent or mortgage assistance. Can only apply for rent help on third Tuesday of every month. Call (360) 832 - 6805. The charity is at 305 Center St W, Eatonville, Washington 98328.

Families Unlimited Network serves the zip codes of 98466 and 98467. They are based in University Place Washington. Phone (253) 460-3134. The non-profit offers rent and utility assistance if the applicant has a disconnect notice or pay or vacate notice. Any rent help or funds are given directly to the landlord. The network is based at 2610 Sunset Dr W in Tacoma, WA 98466.

Community Action Programs – Pierce County Community Services - Provides financial assistance, including housing, to low income Pierce County residents. They also have various resource guides on free government grants, affordable housing, subsidized units for the disabled or seniors and other services. Phone: 866-223-1359 or 253-798-4400.

Gig Harbor/Peninsula FISH Food Bank – The non-profit administers both rental and utility assistance to Key Peninsula and Gig Harbor residents. The non-profit operates from 4425 Burnham Dr, Gig Harbor, Washington 98332. Resources are limited. Phone: 253-858-6179.

Our Lady Queen of Heaven, which is part of Saint Vincent de Paul, is a charity in the Tacoma Washington area that assists Pierce County residents with rent, utilities, bus tickets, and gas. In addition, the organization provides outreach services and housing counseling to residents living in specified boundaries within the following zip codes: 98387, 98445, and 98580. Phone number: 253-537-5266.





Tacoma Housing Authority offers rental subsidized homes and apartments. Location is 902 S L St
Tacoma, WA 98405. Dial (253) 207-4400. They operate low income housing programs, provide section 8 HUD vouchers as well as other services. Section 8 from HUD is the main government rental and low income housing program. Referrals are also given to homeless prevention, job, budget, and debt programs.

Helping Hand House administers the homeless prevention program. Based in Puyallup  (253) 682-3401. If you have children, then the program can offer limited financial assistance for paying monthly rent or back rent to families with children in Pierce County. You need to have an eviction notice to apply. Helping Hand House is committed ending and preventing family homelessness Pierce County, both over short and long term.

The charity also partners with the Tacoma Assistance Human Rights and Human Services Department. They have a Centralized Intake Program for all Housing Related Services. Call (253) 682-3401 or 253-848-6096 for Helping Hands or the intake.

St. Francis Cabrini Church covers the parish of zip codes  98499, 98439 and JBLM. Up to $100 may be paid out for rent or other bills. Clients range from single moms to the working poor, seniors, and vulnerable.  In addition to the money for rent, there may also be furniture for an apartment and other aid. 5715 108th St SW, Lakewood, WA, 98499, phone (253) 655-7837.

Saint Martin of Tours, which is located at 2303 54th Ave E, Fife, Washington (phone (253) 970-9037) runs a multitude of housing and rental programs. Also access landlord and tenant dispute resolution.

Lakewood Area Shelter Association – May offer rental, energy, and food assistance to Lakewood Washington Area residents. Phone number: 253-532-5320 Address is 8956 Gravelly Lake Dr SW, Lakewood, WA, 98498. Call (253) 581-8689 or intake at (253) 682 – 3401.

All Saints Community Services may have one time per year emergency rent help for Puyallup low income tenants only. Funding is limited. Location is 204 6th Ave SW, Puyallup, WA, 98371. Call (253) 848-2000.

Homeless Prevention Programs in Pierce County are administered by Solid Ground. Tenants can get information on their rights to evictions under the Washington Landlord/Tenant Act. Also get referrals to rent help to prevent an eviction. Support and advice is also for dealing with landlords on security deposits or repairs to housing units. (206) 694 - 6767.

As part of this solid ground service, Diversion is a form of Eviction Prevention. Non-profits in the region may have money to help rehouse families as well stop a tenant from being evicted. ESG grants may be used for paying rent, the distribution of motel vouchers to the homeless, and utility or security deposit costs. Other support is offered too for low income families struggling with rental expenses. More information on Pierce County eviction help.

Legal Services has free legal clinics in Pierce County. The agency make make referrals to attorneys from their website. The lawyers can assist with eviction, foreclosure, Landlord/Tenant issues, and applying for government benefits. Dial (253) 572 - 5134 for the Housing Justice Project.





Shared Housing Services - Transitional Family Housing of Tacoma Washington can offer case management, guidance, and housing. Phone: (253) 272 - 1532.

Tyler Square Transitional Housing from the Rescue Mission is for homeless and those on the verge of eviction. Case management, education, budgeting and more is for guests. Get help in locating low income apartments in Pierce County when ready to leave. There may be possible referrals to grants or loans for paying first months rent or a security deposit for those leaving the shelter. 3202 S Tyler St, Tacoma, WA, 98408. Dial 253-383-4493 or (253) 682 - 3401.

Federal Way Caregiving requires in person applications. They only support members of the Federal Way school district. One time rent and moving cost assistance, free motel vouchers, and other housing programs are available. The location is 345 S 312th St, Federal Way, Washington, 98003. Call 253-661-0505​.

lateau Outreach Ministries. Address is 1806 Cole St, Enumclaw, WA, 98022. Dial (360) 825-8961. The program is known as Samaritan Project. Emergency Assistance for rent is only offered to some parts of Pierce County. But eviction help, funds, and more is for low income tenants in City of Enumclaw and Buckley, Wilkeson, Black Diamond, Burnette, Carbonado, South Prairie and Greenwater who are in need.

Saint Nicholas Catholic Church provides services on a limited basis. They are part of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul in Pierce County. The non-profit offers low to moderate income rental and housing assistance to residents of the zip codes of 98329, 98332, 98335, 98349, 98351, 98394 and 98395 only. Financial assistance applies to individuals and families, but all forms of cash aid is limited. Address is Rosedale Ave NW, Gig Harbor WA, dial (253) 851-0554.

Martin Luther King Jr. Housing Development Agency, phone (253) 329-5902 or 253-597-4804, offers eviction prevention services. Need to have 3 day notice of eviction. Get help with paying first month’s rent and deposits. The main office is at 1147 Tacoma Ave S, Tacoma, WA 98402.

Tacoma Salvation Army (call (253) 572-8452 or 253-627-3980) accepts applications for rental assistance on Monday and Tuesday 8am to 10am. The Christian, faith based charity is at 1501 6th Ave, Tacoma, Washington 98405.There may also be vouchers for motel rooms in Pierce County, supportive senior housing and other resources.

St. Vincent de Paul is also part of the Saint Andrew's Catholic Church in Tacoma. This church can provide some limited rental, mortgage, or housing assistance for those living within Parish boundaries. Funding is limited as it is from local donations. Also SVDP provide referrals to non-profits, charities, and government programs obtain basic needed furniture or other support.

  • SVDP also offers Community Outreach for zip codes of 98390 and 98391 within St. Andrew parish borders. Funding is very limited. There may be rent help in this zip code of Sumner WA, and dial (253) 863-4394 for details.

Housing, shelter, and rental grants are available using the Pierce County referral services. There are non-profits that operate a soup to nuts housing agency. They can provide assessment, free advice and legal aid. Also get referrals to Tacoma and Pierce County emergency shelter, transitional, rent programs or affordable housing.

Services/referrals offered to qualified families include eviction prevention , homelessness prevention, government grants, rapid rehousing, and referral for housing or shelter services. Get information and referrals from the United Way Help Line. The Pierce County United Way offers referrals to local resources for financial assistance in paying rent and housing expenses. Call the United Way 211 or Call 253-572-4357.







Transitional housing and shelter in Pierce County Washington

Agape House – The charity offers Christian based transitional housing for men, small families, and women. Call 682-1971

Associated Ministries – They are a member of Coordinated Entry. People facing eviction can call this service to help find information on resources to stay in their homes or apartments. Clients may be linked to rent programs or homeless prevention. In addition, it offers multiple housing assistance programs to help homeless people find shelter. Intake number is 253-682-3401.

Guadalupe House – Offers housing and shelter. Call 572-6582

Helping Hand House – Call 848-6096 for housing support and advice. Services help families who are able to work too.


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy


Search Site