latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Snohomish County eviction prevention programs and rehousing help.

Local agencies in Snohomish County provide homeless prevention assistance (HPRP) as part of the Continuum of Care. Most of the support is for tenants facing an eviction, but there is also rapid rehousing for the short or long term homeless in Everett Washington.

The U.S. Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides funds for these programs, and the recipients include, but are not limited too, Volunteers of America and Catholic Charities. The money will go towards paying various housing expenses that if left unaddressed could cause homelessness. Grants can go for paying rental arrears, electric, heating, or water bills, or even security deposits. If legal support is needed, then HUD funds can help with that. Whatever cost is needed to stop or delay the eviction is eligible.

Other resources include street outreach to the homeless as well as client assessment. Non-profits and the social service departments in Everett offer this type of support and much more to income qualified families. These agencies, whether it is a non-profit or pro-bono legal firm, focus on assisting tenants that have an eviction notice.

There are efforts being made to not only stop evictions from occurring in Snohomish County, but the HUD grants can also be used to support rapid as well as permanent housing programs. This can help not only people that are living in long-term homelessness, but it addresses short term emergency situations too. The services are sometimes called Housing First in the state of Washington.

Homeless and eviction prevention

To expand on the resources listed below, when a low income tenant has a pay or quit notice, or if a tenant can no longer afford the rent they need to pay, then these programs may assist. Some of the agencies will require the landlord to have issued an eviction notice, others require families to seek help before they get to that point.

Everett agencies may provide one of three solutions. There is financial help, legal counseling, or general case management. All of these are tools for preventing evictions in the county, and each has their pros and cons.

Financial aid tends to be the most effective, but it is limited and temporary in nature. Applicants may be given emergency money for paying their rental or utility costs. Note if the applicant is too far in arrears, or can't afford the housing costs on their own in the future, then this is not feasible.





Legal defense and case management are also part of HPRP. Either an attorney or social worker will partner with the tenant. This will also be non-monetary support, and includes everything from mediation to help in entering into payment plans for rent or utilities. In addition, single moms may be provided child support, or the disabled information on SSI or other benefits for their housing needs. This can also sometimes be combined with financial aid eviction prevention services.

Housing first as part of Snohomish County rehousing

Grants are provided to agencies such as Volunteers of America in Snohomish County to provide rehousing. HUD funds are meant to quickly move someone from homelessness or eviction status to a new home. In many cases it will bypass the use of a shelter or the placement of the family into a motel.

Clients of repaid rehousing will also need to access other case management type services. This will include everything from access to free health care to job training, mental health counseling, or substance abuse treatment if needed. The goal is to always provide what is needed so the tenant breaks a cycle of homelessness.

Apply for help

For more information on eviction and homeless services in Snohomish County Washington, residents should dial (425) 374 - 6395 or (425) 212-3233. As with any form of assistance resources are limited and not everyone will qualify.


By Jon McNamara













Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page