Emergency rental assistance Luzerne County.

Individuals who live in Luzerne County Pennsylvania, and who are facing eviction, can receive emergency rental assistance. Low income families can explore several different programs for solutions to their dilemma. Homeless prevention resources as well as emergency crisis support are all available.

From time to time the non-profits may be able to distribute cash for paying expenses such as rent, security deposits, energy costs, and moving expenses. However the organizations are more likely to help people apply for government assistance, including both federal and state of Pennsylvania housing assistance programs. No matter what, if you are behind on your rent or have received an eviction notice from your landlord or apartment community, then call one of these Luzerne County agencies below as soon as possible to discuss your situation.

The Luzerne County Office of Community Development works with private companies and builders in the area. They offer a program known as the Housing Trust Fund, which is a source of funds for building affordable apartments and housing. As part of this trust, funds are distributed to private companies and builders, who need to commit to offering low income and public housing to the needy. So the community development office can help families find shelter and/or low income housing in Luzerne County. The agency also can help people apply for housing vouchers from Section 8. 54 W Union St, Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania 18711. Call 570.824.7214

Luzerne County Office of Human Services administers several public, social services and government programs. For example, they run the rent and homeless assistance program, both of which are operated out of this office. Government workers and case managers can help anyone who needs assistance, and refer people to various solutions and financial assistance programs. The location of this social service office is Wilkes Barre, PA 18701 and the agency can be reached at (570) 826-8801.

Additional government agencies to call include the Luzerne County Office of Community Development (phone (570) 824-7214) or the City of Wilkes Barre Office of Economics & Community Development (phone (570) 208-4132). Both of these may have information on emergency rent and housing assistance. At one point in time they also received funds from the Obama stimulus program. The locations paid out grant money to clients as part of the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program.





This program offered, among other things, provided money to keep people in their current home, and funds to help the homeless find a new apartment. Cash assistance was used to pay for rent, security deposits, moving expenses, and other housing programs. Temporarily lodging could also be arranged by motel and hotel vouchers. In addition, clients were able to receive advice, referrals, and case management type services from highly trained professionals. This could include services such as credit repair, debt reduction, and budgeting skills.

Housing authorities in Luzerne County

There are a few different Housing Authorities in the Wilkes-Barre and Luzerne County region. They are run at the local town or city level, however the government provides money to them. These organizations offer programs such as section 8 housing vouchers, low income loans for home repairs, home repairs, foreclosure counseling, and public housing. The vouchers act as subsidies and can help the very low income pay their rent. The two primary locations are Housing Authority of the City of Hazleton located at 320 W Mine St. (phone 570.455.9503) as well as the Housing Authority of the City of Pittston. This center is at 500 Kennedy Blvd, Pittston 18640. Call 570.655.3707. Other offices include:

  • Nanticoke Housing Authority, One East Green St, Nanticoke, Pennsylvania, 570.735.1110
  • Wilkes-Barre Housing Authority, 50 Lincoln Plaza, Wilkes-Barre, dial 570.825.6657

If those locations can’t meet your needs, no matter where you live in the region, regardless of your city or town, then you can stop by or call Luzerne County Housing Authority, 250 First Ave, Kingston Pennsylvania or dial 570.287.9661. This location can help people in every town, village, and community across the county.




By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy