Pueblo County assistance programs.
Below you will find many programs for Pueblo County. They can help with bills, rent, provide free food, and other financial aid. However you can also search the entire Southeast Colorado area. Low income families and those in crisis can get help with heating bills or rent from charities or churches, housing vouchers from the government, and also medical care from clinics. Read more on Southeast Colorado assistance programs.
Get emergency financial assistance
Cooperative Care Center offers programs for low income, unemployed, and the working poor. Note they are an emergency food pantry and do not offer financial aid. Almost 30,000 people in Pueblo County receive some form of assistance once per year from various agencies. This particular organizations offers the following services :
- Clothing for people in need,
- Emergency prescriptions and medications
- Baby needs, including diapers and formula for young mothers and fathers
- Transportation assistance
- Free food and groceries
Contact Cooperative Care Center at 543-7484 to learn more or to apply for help. The address is 326 W. 8th St., Pueblo, Colorado 81003.
Catholic Charities the Diocese of Pueblo (544-4233) is another local non-profit charity that can assist people of all faiths. One of the main services they offer is housing counseling and assistance If someone is facing a foreclosure, is close to an eviction, or needs help paying their mortgage or rent, they may be able to provide both free advice on how to get aid, and also limited financial assistance. Click here for more on Colorado mortgage programs.
They have also received funding from the United Way to provide financial assistance for paying utility bills, including water bills. The financial programs are more limited, but some Pueblo County families do receive help. Read Pueblo Catholic Charity assistance programs.
Emergency dental care and assistance
If you need a cleaning or other dental services and can’t afford to pay for the resulting dental bills, Pueblo Community Health Center, which can be reached at 543-8718, provides both preventive and emergency dental care to low income and people with no or limited health insurance.
Human and Social Services
While Pueblo County Colorado does not have an official community action agency, the Pueblo County Housing & Human Services organization runs assistance programs in its place. Those who are struggling can call them at (719) 583-6319.
- Eyeglass and vision program - Senior Eyeglass Program will provide tests, prescription lenses, eye exams, properly fitted frames and repair of existing frames and lenses to seniors.
- Dental program - Among other options, the Senior Dental Program offers dental health risk assessments, x-rays and radiographs; extractions, dental exams, dental cleanings, restorations, limited root canals, and emergency dental treatment to people in need of help.
- Emergency Repairs and Essential Services Program - Offers low income and elderly individuals with updates and repairs to their homes to ensure they are safe.
- Weatherization - This program can help people reduce their heating and energy bills. Read more on weatherization programs.
- Food - Get free food and groceries from the Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP)
- Heating and utility bill crisis intervention - If you are facing a disconnection or termination of your utility or heating service, receive immediate financial aid to pay a bill.
Salvation Army of Pueblo, which can be reached at 719-543-3656) provides food baskets and clothing. They may also be able to refer people to financial assistance and grant programs. Various seasonal programs are offered as well, such as assistance around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and back to school supplies. Case management is offered too. The objective of this Pueblo non-profit is to help a family address the immediate crisis (such as an upcoming eviction or utility disconnection) and to also gain longer term self-sufficiency. So to that end the center may also have information on resources such as local job training programs and educational opportunities. Get additional information.
Pueblo YMCA - Several different assistance programs and services. This agency is a health, fitness and recreation focuwed organization. The facility can be reached at 719-543-5151. The YWCA of Puebloe Colorado provides domestic violence services which sometimes includes gasoline vouchers. The phone number is 719-542-6904 and the crisis line number is 719-545-8195.
Senior Resource Development Agency (S.R.D.A.) can be reached at 719-545-8900. They help the elderly and disabled, with a focus on low income senior citizens. There is referrals to programs such as Medicare and affordable supportive housing.
Other services for the Pueblo County area include Meals on Wheels, recreational activities, and referrals to loans or grant based programs for paying bills, such as LIHEAP. SRDA has a focus on people with the greatest socio-economic needs in the region.
Food is available for an emergency and for low income families from Pueblo County. There are a couple dozen pantries and soup kitchens in the county that will help struggling families. Some non-profits also operate special programs, such as Meals on Wheels for senior citizens. Or a soup kitchen may provide Christmas meals or gifts as well. Locate food pantries in Pueblo County.