latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Assistance programs in Passaic County NJ.

The low income, working poor, and less fortunate can get financial assistance. Find assistance for paying back rent or a mortgage payment as well as utility bill help, money for security deposits or free food. Locate churches to apply at as well as charities or government agencies in Paterson, Clifton and the greater Passaic County New Jersey area.

Everything from free grant money to a box of food, gasoline, medical care, or job programs are offered in the region of Passaic County, including from charities such as the Center for Food Action or Catholic Charities. Emergency financial aid in Paterson NJ is combined with job placement services, child care, legal aid, and other support. There may even be ways to get free stuff or personal items from charities..

Emergency and general financial assistance for bills in Paterson NJ area

The Passaic County Catholic Family & Community Services (CFCS) offers local residents access to several different assistance programs. Some are financial others are free basic needs or household supplies. Examples of the programs offered are below. Call them at 973-279-7100 to apply for help or learn more. The main address is 435 Main St, Paterson, NJ 07501.

  • NJ Shares Energy Assistance - This program, which is supported by New Jersey and local utility companies, provides customers with financial assistance for paying heating and utility bills. Applicants to the program must have shutoff notice or have had service cut off already. The NJ Shares program is aimed at those families and individuals who are experiencing short-term financial challenges or hardships, cannot pay their utility bills and the applicant must also have exhausted all other available resources and assistance programs.
  • Emergency Food and Housing Services - The Catholic Charities, which is headquartered in Paterson New Jersey, offers a wide variety of services and resources to families who are in a crisis. There is also a food pantry onsite that offers a three day supply of emergency food and other aid.
    In addition, for those people who are facing lockouts or shut off notices of their utility services, there are cash grants and financial assistance which is also available. For those people who are experiencing or on the verge of homelessness, the project also offers rent help.
  • Legal Services - Get advice and access to services including legal education, immigration matters, or help with landlord/tenant matter. There are also free lawyers that offer eviction help, domestic relations, entitlement advocacy and other free legal advice.




Family Intervention Services, Inc. / Center For Family Services is another New Jersey based non-profit that provides a wide variety of assistance programs. Phone number 973-523-0089. They offer a family crisis program, family stabilization, community client, and other financial aid.

Salvation Army, Passaic Service Unit of Passaic County (phone 973-779-1155) runs several programs including Free Toys for Christmas, a free food pantry, and other financial assistance for bills. Low income and/or struggling households, including Spanish speakers, can also apply for free clothing programs, disaster response programs, and also rent or utility bill assistance when funding permits.

There are also free back to school supplies for students from K-12 as well as Christmas toys from Adopt a Family. Free or low cost substance abuse services are available as well as free hotel vouchers or a homeless shelter. Read more Patterson Salvation Army programs.

Catholic Family & Community Services (CFCS) offers programs that offer the low to moderate income  a variety of resources as well as social services. They were created to aid families in crisis. There is a food pantry on-site offering a three day supply of emergency groceries or hygiene supplies. There is also clothes and other goods, or find referrals and learn how to get free stuff near you..

For those facing lockouts, evictions or shut off notices of their heating and utilities, there is financial assistance available to help pay rent, utility bills, and heating expenses. Paterson New Jersey. Call (973) 279 - 7100, or click here details on Catholic Charities Passaic County.

Center for Family Resources, which is based in Clifton, provides rent help, emergency grocery assistance (from a free food pantry on site), mortgage help, and utility bill assistance. Additional services include Head Start for children, or the center may have government grants for paying back rent from the Emergency Food and Shelter program. Or learn about free daycare or programs for single moms in Passaic County. Dial (973) 472 - 8880, or click more financial aid from Center for Family Resources.

Paterson Task Force for Community Action, Inc. helps residents of Paterson New Jersey. The programs they administer include: Call (973) 279-2333. The office is at 109 Washington St, Paterson, NJ 07505.





  • Housing and renter assistance - They are a Housing and Urban Development (HUD) counseling agency. Get free foreclosure prevention counseling, help in dealing with landlord-tenant rights, and assistance in dealing with unfair or illegal landlord practices, and eviction. There are also emergency section 8 vouchers or low income homes in the region. Additional eviction prevention and rent assistance programs.
  • Weatherization services - Get free help to save on utility and heating bills. Improvements can be made to your home, such as caulking, windows, and heating system updates and replacements.
  • Home Energy Assistance Program - Low income residents can get help paying for heating and utility bills, and emergency assistance to prevent a disconnection.
  • Food and Nutrition Program - Get free food and other assistance to help feed your family.





Center for Food Action – A number of resources are offered by the non-profit. For example, it provides security deposits, emergency free or low cost food, advocacy, rent, and limited utility bill assistance for qualified persons in need. There is also special holiday food assistance at Thanksgiving and Christmas. The location also participates in NJ Shares. The main office is at 145 Carletondale Rd, Ringwood, NJ, 07456, call (201) 529 – 2029, or read more information on Center for Food Action.

Hispanic Information Center of Passaic – Has limited funding. People who have an eviction notice or utility disconnect notice may be able to apply for rental, heating and utility bill assistance. Other programs also provide job placement information, temporary shelter, clothing, food assistance, job, advocacy, and more.  The address is 911 E 23rd,, Paterson, NJ 07513, phone (973) 684-3320.

Passaic County Board of Social Services – The government agency offers social services and public assistance. The benefits include grant money as a form of Emergency Financial Assistance for paying rent and utilities. Other public aid includes TANF, Food Stamps, Medicaid, Special Medicaid for Blind/Disabled, NJ Kid Care, child support and paternity issues. Most of this is for very low income families or those living in poverty.

Using government grants, the Board also processes applications for benefits such as Jersey Care for Pregnant Women, medical transportation, and even General Assistance is offered for some towns. Location is 80 Hamilton St., Paterson, NJ 07505, call (973) 881 - 0100. Or find more details on public assistance in Passaic County.

United Passaic Organization - Gas and electric bill assistance may be provided. Applicants must first apply to the federal government funded HEAP or Lifeline and cannot be on welfare. The Lifeline can also provide free (or low cost) internet service in Patterson NJ. Their financial assistance program is targeted to persons who have exhausted all other available resources, are faced with short term financial difficulties, and people who cannot pay their monthly utility bills but have no other options. Applicants must also be faced with a shut off of their power.

Several other financial assistance programs and services are available. The non-profit UPO offers grants to pay rent to prevent an eviction, shelter, job training as part of Workforce Development, and free groceries from United Passaic Food Bank Center. The homeless can take part in transitional housing, or apply for loans or funds to pay for security deposits. Other referrals to public benefits in Passaic County are available as well. 41 Myrtle Ave, Passaic, New Jersey, 07055, phone (973) 472 - 2478. Click more information on United Passaic Organization assistance programs.

Township of Wayne – Runs both a General Assistance program and also provides Emergency Assistance programs. Also the town is a participant in NJ Shares. 475 Valley Rd, Wayne, NJ, 07470, phone (973) 694 - 1800





West Milford Older Adult Services – May be able to offer applicants access to an energy bill assistance program through a year-round, statewide, independent emergency energy fund. Aid is targeted at Passaic County families who are in need of temporary help in paying their heating and energy bills. You need to have had utilities turned off, facing disconnection, and can’t be collecting public assistance.

They also help arrange Meals on Wheels home delivery for the elderly / disabled. Location is 1810 Macopin Rd, West Milford, New Jersey, 07480, telephone (973) 728-2871 or (973) 728 - 2862

Housing Authority of Passaic provides affordable family apartments and housing for senior citizens. There is also self-sufficiency and home buying loans or referrals. They will be placed into Housing Authority owned and operated developments. They also administer the section 8 housing voucher program for the region. The office is at 52 Aspen Pl. Call (973) 365 - 6330.

Help for rent and housing needs may be provided by non-profit organizations as well as charities. The goal of any grant is to prevent homelessness, however in some cases the tenant is too far behind on their rent. In these cases there may be assistance for paying security deposits on new, low income apartments or transitional housing. Click rent help in Passaic County.

Paterson Division of Housing, Community Development offers referrals and advocacy to employment programs as well as emergency rental or mortgage assistance. Or access free food, housing, legal help, and literacy programs. They can also relocate families from unsafe apartments or housing in the region. 125 Ellison St, Paterson New Jersey, telephone (973) 321 - 1212.

Northwest New Jersey Community Action Partnership is a leading non-profit community action agency for the county. The organization, known as NORWESCAP for short, can arrange for emergency rental help, free food, and self-sufficiency. Services for children include meals from the Backpack Program, Head Start, and snacks. The agency will also processes applications for heating bill assistance.

  • NORWESCAP also administers several utiulity focused program, including Home Energy Assistance Program, Weatherization, and NJ Shares. The weatherization program provides free energy conservation assistance services to income eligible households in Paterson and Passaic County to help them reduce their monthly heating and utility bills. NJ SHARES is another option that provides temporary utility bill assistance to income eligible individuals and families with their utility bills.

Last, but not least, the Home Energy Assistance Program assists low to moderate income community members gain energy efficiency and have access to safe, affordable housing. Call the community action agency at (908) 454-7000. Find assistance programs from NORWESCAP.

United Way of Passaic County has referrals to a wide range of programs. Whether government grant money, VITA income tax help, food, education and more, the non-profit helps anyone from the community. The address is 301 Main Street, Paterson, NJ 07505. Dial (973) 279-8900. Or read more on their basic needs programs.

Beyond Today is a non-profit that can provide guidance, referrals, and help in applying for programs such as NJ New Jersey SHARES. This is the state’s main heating and utility bill assistance program. Other resources can include water payment assistance from H2O Help to Others as well as the Verizon Lifeline program. Or get information on food stamps, Medicaid, and other government run programs. Dial ((973) 462-4409 for intake.







Debt reduction and credit counseling

If you are struggling with your mortgage, credit card or medical debts, Consumer Credit Counseling of NJ (phone ((609) 390-9652) also provides help. There are a wide range of in person or remote debt reduction services as well as foreclosure prevention. The non-profit offers free or low cost credit and budget services. The non-profit organization provides debt and credit counseling, education, foreclosure advice, and assistance to those with unmet financial needs or limited resources.

They can also help people develop budgets, and ensure they have access to longer term financial education and debt reduction services. Learn more on New Jersey foreclosure assistance programs.

Food pantries, free meals and hunger prevention assistance

Passaic County New Jersey families who are low income and/or in poverty, can apply for SNAP food stamps. This is a federal government benefit program that also includes state of NJ funds. Qualified families can get an EBT card to help them pay for groceries, fresh produce, and other products. Read more on, and find a food stamp application near you.

AME Zion Williams Chapel/Food Pantry & Clothing Assistance provides both clothing and food. The organization operates a food pantry that needy families in the community can turn to for help. This food distribution site is also a member of the Passaic County Emergency Food Coalition. They provide free food, clothes, and can refer people to other programs. Dial 973-472-3256.

Love of Jesus Church (phone number 973-742-6718) also operates an emergency food pantry for needy members of the local community. This food distribution site is also a full fledged member of the Passaic County Emergency Food Coalition.

The local community action agency, NORWESCAP, also runs a Food Bank that provides aid in the relief of hunger by providing food and support to those in need. Phone number (908) 454-7000.

Christian Fellowship Center is another Paterson NJ Food Bank. Free groceries, personal toiletries, soap and more may be given away. Call (973) 742-2334

CUMAC/ECHO provides up to 5 days of food and groceries to Passaic County and Paterson low income families. (973) 742 - 5518

There are several other non-profit organizations and places to turn to for free food. Many of the centers can also help people apply for government programs as well, such as SNAP food stamps or summer meals for children. Continue with food pantries in Passaic County.

Free legal services

The NJ Legal Services System (888-576-5529) provides help to seniors, immigrants and low income residents in Passaic County NJ. Get free legal services, consultations and representation for civil issues.

Free lawyers work to assist low income Passaic County residents. Find assistance with civic issues that range from foreclosures, to evictions to divorce and domestic issues. Even get legal help dealing with debt collectors. Call them, or click here to learn more on free lawyer advice in New Jersey.





Free health, dental and medical care

Paterson Community Health Center provides health care for all patients, including low income and uninsured. The clinic is a federally qualified health center with a licensed professional staff offering both dental and medical including adult medicine, prescriptions, OB-GYN/prenatal care, and pediatrics. Most health insurance is accepted including Medicaid and SCHIP. The health center will assist families and patients in obtaining medical insurance. There is a sliding fee scale for resulting medical bills for the uninsured. Call (973) 790 - 6594

Other charities and clinics are available in the county (and state of NJ) too. A major focus is on basic medical care as well as dental needs of the low income and people without insurance. There may be teeth cleanings, general physicals for health care reasons, emergency surgery (oral too) and other support. Find dental clinics in New Jersey for people without insurance.


By Jon McNamara













Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page