Patterson and Passaic County Salvation Army assistance programs.
Social services, case management, and emergency assistance to help pay bills is offered by the Patterson area New Jersey Salvation Army. The number of programs they administer is extensive. They range from services such as free back to school items, Christmas meals or toys, to basic needs such as food, utility bill help, and rent/housing. Seasonal help is also one of the main services offered by the non-profit. The Salvation Army of Passaic County is an inclusive organization and will support people of all backgrounds.
Free seasonal help - Christmas, Thanksgiving, and back to school
As indicated, seasonal programs operate throughout the year, and will provide items for specific needs that occur then. Some examples of the Salvation Army Passaic County resources include the following.
- Free Back-to-School program operates from mid-August, and it will distribute back packs with school supplies, notebooks, and other items to children. Students may also be able to get uniforms or clothes from the school program of local thrift stores.
- Thanksgiving - This program will open for enrollment in October. Applications are accepted, and it will provide free hot meals, including a Turkey and toppings. Income guidelines need to be met.
- Summer Day Camp is offered from programs such as Camp Tecumseh. A total of a one week session is offered during the summer for children who range in age from 6-12.
- Christmas programs range from Angeltree, Kettles, free toys, and meals. The application period starts in October and aid is distributed to Patterson New Jersey and other local families in December. Volunteers are needed during this timeframe, as well as donations and other support. A focus is on children and seniors. Christmas Toys can be provided, as well as other needed holiday items like coats and meals. Also during the holiday season the Salvation Army will do their best to increase the amount of financial assistance offered for needs such as rent or heating bills.
- Thanksgiving and Christmas is a key focus of the Salvation Army. Every year the centers in Passaic County help hundreds of local residents, and can offer them toys, free food, and clothing. Senior and the homebound can receive visitations, companionship and get help addressing other needs during the holidays. The elderly may also receive a home delivered meal from volunteers.
Get financial help, food, and other services from Passaic County Salvation Army
Food pantries - Patterson area Salvation Army centers have food pantries and thrift stores available to them which can help address the emergency needs of free, affordable, and high quality food. Typical food items offered by the Salvation Army include canned goods, government surplus commodities, hygiene products and other non perishable items. Most pantries have limited hours, and people can only access them a limited number of times per month. Some thrift stores may offer products such as furniture or clothing.
Homeless prevention and emergency aid is offered by several extension units. Some centers may be able to provide emergency financial assistance for paying bills and basic needs including rent, food, clothing, utilities, information and referral. Financial support is focused on preventing homelessness. Also meet with a case worker to explore possible solutions to your crisis.
Salvation Army case workers in Paterson (and throughout the county) offer referrals, counseling, and other support services as well. There are a host of assistance programs available in New Jersey and nationwide. Find information on utility bill assistance in New Jersey (such as SHARE and LIHEAP) or ESG grants to pay rent or mortgages. There are also SNAP food stamps applications as well as information on how to apply for cash aid, free USDA commodities, Meals on Wheels and more.
Passaic County workforce centers (and corporations) also partner with the Salvation Army on employment needs. They help organize job fairs. Or give the underemployed skills they need to find a new or better paying job, including GED classes or interview advice. There are income producing opportunities for teens, even including smartphone apps that pay out real cash, freelance jobs, games, and more. There are many programs out there. Even find games that play real cash.
Contact information to apply for Salvation Army assistance in Passaic County
While the main center is located at 541-545 W. Broadway, Paterson, NJ 07509, emergency assistance may be provided for residents of Fairlawn, Bellair, Elmwood Park, Haledon, Hawthorne, West Paterson, Little Falls, Mountain View, North Haledon, Prospect Park, Totowa, and Wayne. Call the center at (973) 790-4817.
Veterans and military members can get help from programs such as Operation Red Shield. The Salvation Army can help current military personnel, their immediate and dependent family members and veterans. Dial 888-302-6100.