latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed



State & Local Resources

Rent Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff and Money

Extra Income and Home Work

Public Assistance

Disability Programs

Section 8 Housing

Senior Assistance

Emergency Rent Assistance

Free Job Training

Free Money

Grants For Bills

Free Clothes & Supplies

LIHEAP Assistance

Telephone Assistance

Help with Water Bills

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Prescriptions

Free Community Clinics

Free Dental Clinics

Loans For Bills

Automobile Loan Assistance

Free Cash Loans

Debt Help

Mortgage Help

How to Save Money

Financial Literacy Help

Search the Website


New London County rent assistance.

Government agencies and non-profits offer help for paying rent to low income families and individuals in New London County. The resources available range from both government grants (from the state of Connecticut and federal government) to emergency funds from charities. When applying for emergency rental or deposit assistance, many of the agencies will require the client to be on the verge of eviction or be homeless.

The New London organizations tend to also take part in the countywide EFPP eviction prevention service. This will provide financial aid on a case by case basis, but there may be funds for paying rent arrears as well as mortgage payments or utilities. This service will also help residents locate housing or apply for benefits such as disability or section 8 housing vouchers.

Tenants can often start by calling their Town Human Service Department. These are located in most New London municipalities. The government may have information on rent assistance programs such as Emergency Solution Grants (ESG), transitional or public housing, and legal aid.
One example of an office is in Groton, and the address is 2 Fort Hill Road. Call 860-441-6760.

Thames Valley Council For Community Action
401 West Thames Street, Unit 201
Norwich, Connecticut, 06360-7155
Phone - 860-425-6570
Emergency rent help will be offered for residents facing a one time crisis. Grants are issued up to a maximum dollar amount, and the money can be used for everything from a security deposit to mortgage or rent payment. A strict application process is in place.

City of Norwich - Human Services
Address is 80 Broadway
Norwich, CT 06360
(860) 823-3778
The government offers eviction prevention programs, cash aid from welfare )which can be used for rent or housing costs) and other support. More on New London Social Services programs.





Stonington Human services is at 166 South Broad Street, Pawcatuck, CT, 06379, 860-535-5015. There may be public aid for everything from heating bills to rent and food. The Social Service committee decides on applications.

New London Homeless Hospitality Center
51-53 Mountain Avenue
New London, Connecticut, 06320
Resource Number: 17358111
They only support veterans. Rent assistance may be from SSVF, and they also run the Project Home  transitional housing program.

Opportunities Industrialization Center Of New London County
106 Truman Street
New London, CT 06320
Telephone number - (860) 447-1731

New London Legal Aid – Tenant Services
153 Williams St
New London, Connecticut 06320
(860) 447-0323
Lawyers provide families, including seniors and low income disabled residents, with support to stop an eviction. Or learn about fair housing standards, get help in applying for government rent programs such as EFPP and more.

Safe Futures - The phone number is 860-447-0366. Housing assistance, or short term shelter, is for women, children, and single moms as part of Phoenix House.

Connecticut DSS - Sub-Office, Norwich
Address: 401 West Thames St.
Norwich, CT 06360
Phone - (860) 823-5000
Information on state and federal grants for rent, energy bills, and more. They can also refer very low income families to rent subsidized housing. Senior citizens in New London County also receive support.

Salvation Army Centers
11 Governor Winthrop Boulevard, New London, CT, (860) 443-6409
262 Main Street, Norwich, Connecticut, (860) 889-2329
Services include shelter as well as loans or other funding for back rent. Case managers also advice clients on their options.




St Vincent De Paul Place
120 Cliff Street
Norwich, Connecticut 06360
Call the churches at (860) 889-7374

Catholic Charities of Norwich
Address is 28 Huntington St.
New London, CT 06320
Main phone - (860) 443-5328
Volunteers raise money, and the funds can be used for rental expenses and more. Staff also will try to find some type of solution to prevent homelessness from occurring. Applications can be done on site or at home.


By Jon McNamara

“Related and Sponsored Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy

Financial Literacy

Search Site