latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Help Near Me

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Free Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing and Apartments

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agency

Free Job Training

Help with Medical Bills

Free Healthcare

Free Dental Clinics

Car Payment Assistance

Debt Relief

How to Save Money

Search the Website

Energy, utility and heating bill assistance programs Missouri.

The state of Missouri has numerous non-profits, government programs including LIHEAP, and financial assistance programs to help with electric, cooling, or heating bills. There is grant money from the government, emergency financial assistance that offered by utility and gas companies, payment plans and more. There are also free weatherization and energy conservation services. Below you will find details on the programs, and who to call for help in Missouri.

The assistance is targeted at the low income, elderly, and those who are facing a short term hardship. Qualified individuals can get help for paying for numerous types of utility bills and energy costs. Free charitable or government grants are available to pay for everything from heating, gas, and utility bills up through a monthly water bill.

Financial help from utility companies in Missouri

Ameren Missouri - The Dollar More assistance program can help the needy and low income pay their energy and utility bills. The funds can be used to pay a wide range of home energy bills including heating, electric, gas, fuel oil and propane. A network of human service agencies and non-profits throughout Missouri runs the program for the utility company. Call 211 or 800.552.7583.

Ameren Missouri helps people reduce their energy bills by providing them with funding for weatherization services. Help is available customers of this utility company. Contact your local community action agency to find out if you are eligible for weatherization from Ameren.

Those are just a few of the assistance programs administered by Ameren. They have several other payment plans and services for low income customers. Read more on Ameren energy bill help in Missouri.

Atmos Energy offers a resource known as Sharing the Warmth. This assistance program is funded by customer donations, and they are combined with company donations, to help qualified people pay their gas and utility bills. You need to call Atmosat 888-286-6700 to learn where to apply, or of course you can contact your local Salvation Army.




Boone County – Two utility assistance programs are administered by the Health Department. They include the C.A.S.H. (Citizens Assisting Seniors and Handicapped) program, which can provides emergency utility bill assistance and grants to low-income senior citizens and persons with disabilities in the community. The second option is H.E.L.P. (Heat Energy and Light Program) which can provide one-time emergency bill assistance to low-income families that have young children that live in the home. Call the Health Department at 573-874-7355.

City Utilities also runs its own version of the Project Share program. This option is a so called community supported utility bill assistance program that is offered for City Utilities of Springfield customers. The assistance program is in effect January through May. Applicants must meet income guidelines and other conditions, however deduction for medical expenses will be considered when someone applies for help.

To apply or to learn more, contact your local Neighborhood Center. The phone numbers are: Christian County, 417-581-7631. Barry County, 417-847-2140. Dade County, 417-637-2701. Dallas County, 417-345-7964. Lawrence County, 417-678-5031. Greene County, 417-447-0554. Polk County, 417-326-6276. Stone County, 417-272-8508. Webster County, 417-859-4589. Taney County, 417-239-1882

Community Services League – This organization provides financial assistance and grants to qualified people, including senior citizens and the elderly. The free support is for people who want to make such improvements to their home as adding weather stripping and caulking around doors and windows, adding insulation and other energy saving improvements. Call 816-254-4100

Co-Mo Electric Cooperative offers its customers and service territory Operation Roundup. This is a program that takes customer donations, and the funds will be used to help pay for such things as prescriptions, food, shelter, rent, clothing and health care.  Applications are available at Co-Mo office.

Crawford Electric Cooperative - Operation Round up is offered, and it is similar to above in that money raised from customer donations will pay for such things as food, shelter, rent, clothing, prescriptions and health care for needy individuals. Call 800-677-2667





Cuivre River Electric Cooperative. Call them at any of the following numbers. 636-327-5282, 441-7410, 528-8261 or 1-800-392-3709. The primary goal of this assistance program is to help families, individuals, and the low income address needs that cannot be met with other resources. Grants cannot be used to pay electric bills but are allowed to pay for such expenses as home weatherization improvements, medical needs and other emergencies or crisis’s.

Empire District Electric Company - Project Help may be able to extend a helping hand to needy low income and senior citizens, disabled and handicapped persons. Funds and grants from the program may be used to pay heating, electric, gas and propane bills for heating and cooling or to help winterize homes for Missouri customers.

The assistance program is administered locally by the Red Cross who screens applicants and provides relief where the need is greatest, and distributes funds. Call 800-923-2483 or 417-781-0352. Several other resources are also administered. Find more information on Empire District Electric assistance programs.

Heat-Up St. Louis – This particular program may be able to provide energy and heating bill assistance grants ranging from $100 to $600 to low income and other qualified applicants. In some years air conditoning bills may be paid. Heat-Up St. Louis Inc. is an all-volunteer, regional charity that focuses on helping the disabled, low income, and elderly individuals and families with paying their delinquent energy bills. Help is available both in St. Louis and throughout the following counties. Call the agencies below for more information or to apply for help. 

  • St. Louis City – Call the St. Vincent DePaul 314-531-7837,
  • The Salvation Army 314-646-3000,
  • Butler County – Dial the non-profit SCMEOC at 573-325-4255.
  • County of St. Louis – Dial the  St. Louis County CAA at 314-863-0015 or the Urban League.
  • Jefferson County - Salvation Army can be reached at 636-464-0787
  • St. Charles County – Call the non-profit NECAC 636-272-3477
  • Madison County - Urban League (phone number 618-463-1906)
  • Lincoln County - 636-528-7604
  • St. Clair County - Urban League 618-274-1150
  • St. Clair County & Southern Illinois – Call Catholic Urban Programs at 618-398-5616
  • St. Genevieve, Iron & Madison Co's – Phone number of EMAA is 573-431-5191




Independence Power & Light Department - Independence Rate Assistance Program (IRAP) is for qualified elderly customers, those who are 60 years or older, or disabled customers, and the program will pay 50% of the electric charges on their monthly utility or heating bill. Contact the Community Services League at 816-254-4100 to apply or get more information.

Independence Power & Light Department – The assistance program offered is known as IShare. The program provides financial assistance in paying water, electric, or gas utility bills. Contact the Community Services League at 816-254-4100 to apply or get more information.

Locate more information on Independence Power & Light resources, including government aid such as LIHEAP. Get energy bill help from Independence Power & Light.

Intercounty Electric Cooperative Association offers residents in its service territory Operation Roundup. This particular assistance program helps families, individuals, and the low income and disabled. Grants and funds can be used to pay for personal and home needs such as medical bills and equipment, emergency home repairs and health care costs. Phone - 1-866-621-3679.

Jackson County Energy Assistance – Financial assistance can be used to pay for expenses such as natural, artificial or propane gas;  or fuel oil ; electricity ;  wood, coal or water bills. Applicants to the program need to be a resident of Jackson County Missouri. Priority for emergency aid is given to any eligible applicant who is the head of household that includes children;  sixty years of age or older; or disabled, under guidelines published by state or federal government. Call your local community action agency to apply.

Kansas Power & Light runs the Dollar Aide program. It may be able to provide financial assistance for paying electricity, heat, and water bills. The program is administered and funds are distributed by MAAC as well as the Greater United Way of St. Joseph. Call United Way: 816-364-2381 or Maac: MAAC: 816-561-2727or 877-962-6222. More Kansas City Power Light assistance.

Kansas Power & Light - When the temperature increases during the summer, KPL works with the city government and various non-profit agencies to provide items like fans, air conditioners, or monetary assistance for paying cooling bills. Click here for more details on free fans in Kansas City.

Laclede Electric Cooperative - Operation Round Up funds can be used to help people in the community.

Laclede Gas Company – A program known as Dollar-Help, Inc. (DHI), which is a partnership with Laclede Gas Company, may be able to provide funds and emergency assistance to low-income, elderly and disabled households in the community. Grants and financial aid are awarded on an as-needed basis by local social-service agencies and charities when all public funds for energy bill assistance have been exhausted and used up. Contact local social service agency, such as the Salvation Army or community action agency, to apply for help.




Laclede Gas can provide customers across Missouri a number of other assistance programs and payments plans. In addition, customer service representatives can refer caller to federal government programs and benefits such as LIHEAP. Get more details on Laclede Gas financial assistance.

North Central Missouri Electric Cooperative, Inc. - Caring Co-op Neighbors is a program  targeted at certain people. It may be able to assist customers that are victims of emergency , fire, natural disaster, medical, accident, battering or meet other eligibility requirements. Members in need can receive up to $2,500 in financial assistance per year. Apply through the Missouri Division of Family Services  or the Green Hills Community Action Agency. Call 660-265-4404 or 1-800-279-2264.

Osage Valley Electric Cooperative, Assn. - Operation Round Up can help people who are faced with a job loss, unexpected loss of income, or some type of natural disaster.  Call 660-679-3131 or 1-800-889-6832

Spire (formerly Missouri Gas Energy) – The Neighbors Helping Neighbors can offer emergency financial assistance for low income and needy people who need help paying their utility or energy bills or meeting other emergency needs. The program is administered by the Mid-America Assistance Coalition. Call the non-profit at 816-756-5252 (Kansas City metropolitan area) or feel free to dial 1-800-582-1234.

Spire offers another option known as Extra Help. This offers Gas bill assistance. Call 816-561-2727.

Spire - Missouri Gas Energy - Additional resources and financial assistance programs offered by MGE include disconnection prevention, LIHEAP cash grants, and energy conservation. The utility company is always committed to working with a customer and trying to find a solution. More details Sprire Missouri assistance.

Westar Energy - This company provide services to a limited number of households in Missouri. The number of financial assistance programs available is limited, however they do offer some payment plans and referrals to those customers that qualify based on income levels. Learn more on assistance from Westar Energy.

White River Valley Electric Cooperative, Inc. – This cooperative also administers Operation Round Up. Emergency grants and funds can be used to provide free food and groceries, shelter, clothing, health care, emergency housing aid, and even help pay for education costs. Call 1-800-879-405 or 417-335-9335.

Government low-income energy and electric bill help in Missouri

The Missouri statewide HeatShare program covers all of Missouri. The program is a utility or heating bill assistance program for the disabled and elderly, help for low-income households and for those, because of unexpected expenses and bills such as a birth or death in the family, find themselves unable to pay their energy or heating bills.

HeatShare provides payments and grants toward electricity, natural gas, propane, fuel oil, heating or wood bills. In addition note that grants may be available for emergency repairs to air conditioners, furnaces, hot water heaters and other energy related equipment or for repairs to broken doors and or windows. Call 1-800-336-4547, or more information on Missouri HeatShare.







Low income heating and energy assistance - Missouri receives funding from the federal government as part of the LIHEAP program. This can help families pay their utility and heating bills. Government funding is also available as part of the energy reduction weatherization program. Learn more LIHEAP in Missouri.

Missouri Public Service (MPS) – Save on your heating and energy bills by applying for low-income weatherization funding, which is usually distributed to community action agencies in the MPS territory. Some of the energy conserving measures offered as part of the program includes compact fluorescent lights; kitchen aerators; tank and pipe wrap; low-flow showerheads; attic, wall, ceiling and floor insulation; and heating and cooling duct repair.

Call the following numbers to apply or for more information. Green Hills CAA, Trenton, 660-359-3907; Missouri Valley CAA, Marshall, 660-886-7476; Dept. of Housing and Community Development Kansas City, 816-513-3015; West Central Missouri CAA, Appleton City, 1-660-476-2185. Or dial the main number of 816-467-3254 or 1-888-567-0799 for more information.

Statewide non-profits may offer help. This is made up of a coalition of city and county agencies, social service agencies, churches, non-profits, utilities, and health organizations in the community that meet regularly to address the needs of those most vulnerable in severe weather. Based on funding and demand, in general usually the elderly and the low income are provided aid. But anyone can apply. These groups may provide air conditioning units and minor weatherization to the most vulnerable, offer cash grants in Missouri for paying for heating fuel, and more. Call 211 to get a referral.


Related Content From


By Jon McNamara

Contact NeedHelpPayingBills


















Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page

Search Site