Independence Power & Light assistance programs.

Families that are struggling with paying their Independence Power & Light bills have options. Several programs are available, including payment plans, energy conservation, and emergency utility bill assistance. A focus is on low income seniors, families with children, the disabled, and individuals who are faced with a short term crisis. The primary Independence Power and Light resources are below.

Independence Rate Assistance Program, or IRAP, is for the elderly and low income seniors and elderly. It can help qualified individuals with paying their heating and utility bills. If you apply, and are found to be qualified, then customers will need to pay at most 50% of the electric charges on their monthly bill.

IRAP is run at the local county and town level by the Community Services League, which can be reached at 254-4100. There are a number of qualifications which need to be met, including, but not limited to, the following. The applicant must live within the city limits of Independence. They need to be disabled or 60 years of age. Their income and assets need to be very limited, including the value of property. The family or individual applying must be the head of your household and they need to have electric service with Kansas City Power and Light and/or the City of Independence. The income needs to be very limited, and it is based on certain federal government poverty levels as set by the Health and Human Services Department.

Utility bill payment assistance programs and payment assistance can be provided by Ishare and customer service representatives. The City of Independence Missouri offers low-income families and seniors energy bill assistance through the IShare and IRAP (see above) programs. IShare can provide short term cash assistance, and is also administered by the Community Services League, 300 W. Maple, Independence, MO 64050, phone (816) 254-4100. I-Share program relies on, among other things, donations from the community in order to keep it going. To make a contribution to the program, mail checks to I-Share Utility Assistance, Community Services League, PO Box 4178, Independence, MO 64051.

Payment plans may be negotiated as well. If you are unemployed, struggling, or need assistance paying your monthly utility bill, please contact Independence Power & Light Utilities Customer Service as soon as possible at the number below. Facts show that it is much easier to work out a payment plan on your account with customers who are current on their payments. If you wait until the bill is already delinquent, then it is much more difficult to try to find a solution that works for all parties involved.





Home Weatherization can help families save money. Customers may be able to lower their utility and heating bills by making improvements to your home. Community Services League offers assistance to qualified people, including senior citizens, who want to make such home improvements as adding weather stripping around doors and windows, adding insulation, etc. For information, contact Community Services League at 254-4100.

Energy conservation services offered as part of the Home Weatherization Program can help homeowners by providing them with energy saving that will be customized to meet their specific needs. The first part of the process is a two- to four-hour energy audit that will be performed by a City employee. They will check your home and determine where energy escapes, and they will decide and determine the most cost-effective ways to help people save money. People who can apply include residents of Clay, Platte, and Jackson counties. These are the main areas who are beneficiaries of these services. Receive repair of windows and doors, caulking, weather stripping and installing insulation to sidewalls and attics, repair or replacement of water heaters and furnaces, and ductwork.

A discount on your sewer/water bills may be provided from the Sanitary Sewer Discount. The City of Independence Missouri offers customers a small discount on their bills, and it is offered to qualified persons who receive retirement benefits or social security. To apply or learn more, dial 325-7930. Some of the qualifications include the customer must prove they receive social security or similar retirement benefits at age 62 or over, and their water usage needs to be between 100 and 400 cubic feet per month during the winter months.

The City of Independence also offers Late Fee Waivers for customers who receive retirement benefits, a pension, or social security as their sole source of income. Dial 325-7930 to reach Utilities Customer Service.




“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy