Colfax, Los Alamos, Rio Arriba, Taos, San Miguel assistance programs.
Financial aid and resources
Help of New Mexico is the regional community action agency. They oversee several different emergency, self-sufficiency and assistance programs for the low income. Some examples of the services available in San Miguel, Taos, and nearby counties are below.
The Child and Adult Care Food Program is operated in partnership with local day care and child care providers. It offers children meals, groceries and other resources.
Emergency financial assistance is offered in limited quantities. Some of what may be offered includes free food, rental assistance, grants for utilities and prescription medications. This can include employment, including GED and income tax filing assistance programs. The agency also offers the Individual Development Accounts (IDA) savings program.
The community service block grant is the name of general assistance. The homeless, seniors, and elderly of Los Alamos and Colfax can get help. It may offer nutrition, health care, emergency services and more.
Children in northern New Mexico, including in Rio Arriba and San Miguel, can sign up for the Head Start Program and other family services.
The National Farmworker Jobs Program (NFJP) is for migrant and seasonal farmworkers and offers job training and employment assistance.
Employment opportunities is offered as part of Workforce Investment Act (WIA). It coordinates education, job training and more. Meet with a case worker for skill assessment, Job search, and other core services. Some of the more intensive services include Class room training and access to Work Experience. Staff members from the community action agency may also help clients find a job and develop skills and resources for managing crisis and may direct them to additional agencies that directly assist with employment/employability. Click here.
The non-profit may also provide free school supplies to low-income children through the Tools for Schools project.
Help of New Mexico has several offices in the region. They include the following.
- Taos County, 106 Gusdorf Place, Taos, New Mexico 87571, call (575) 758-1428
- Mora County, Hwy 518 Main St , Mora, NM 87732 , telephone number is (575) 387-2299
- 1302 Calle de la Merced, Espanola, NM 87532, (505) 753-7181
- 1212 National Avenue, Las Vegas, NM 87701, call (505)425-9307 for intake
- 516 Maxwell Street, Springer, NM 87747, main number is (575) 483-5927
- For more details on their programs, read more on HELP of northern New Mexico.
St. James Episcopal Church provides a weekly food distribution, emergency financial assistance, holiday baskets and gifts, pet food and even rummage sales. 208 Camino de Santiago, Taos, New Mexico 87571. Dial (575) 758-2790
St. Vincent De Paul (Sacred Heart Of Jesus Parish) may have limited amounts of grants and emergency funds for rent, utilities, and other expenses. A food pantry is also available. The charity is run from 908 Calle Rosario, Espanola, NM 87532, call (505) 753-4225.
Emergency shelters and temporary housing - The homeless, very low income, and struggling families can receive support from transitional housing programs. There are units across the region, including in Los Alamos and San Miguel, for immigrants and those that have been evicted. The charities or government subsidized units offer a place to stay, help with locating a new low income apartment, and job placement / free meals. Click more details.
Christian Concern Committee supports the northern New Mexico region including Rio Arriba County. Most of the assistance is for individuals with a short term crisis. Any funding paid out is to assist people with buying food, paying for medicines, doctor bills, rent, utility payments, and other basic needs.
Referrals are available as well as other social services in Taos and the region, including security deposit programs as well as government grants or clinics. If a struggling family is seeking a loan for paying their bills, this may be arranged too. The programs are run from Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish. Dial (505) 662-4666, or find assistance from Christian Concern Committee.
St. John The Baptist Parish may have cash assistance for parish and/or pueblo members. (575) 852-4179
Interfaith Leap (Leadership Empowerment Of All People) focuses on those residents with limited health care access or who have been impacted by alcohol, drugs, or hunger. The non-profit organization also helps meet emergency needs of lower income disadvantaged families including gasoline, food, utilities, medical care/prescriptions, clothing and diapers. (505) 351-2163.
El Buen Pastor Assembly Of God may have both electric/energy bill assistance and a food pantry. 609 Calle Rivera, Espanola, NM 87532. Dial (505) 753-0196
New Mexico Human Services Department - Income Support Division may have funds for transportation and day care. Aid is for people receiving TANF (formerly AFDC) and food stamps. Assistance programs are for families with dependent children. Access general assistance and apply for Medicaid. Also LIHEAP heating fuel assistance and Food Stamps/SNAP are processed. (505) 753-2271. Read more public assistance in New Mexico.
Salvation Army of Las Vegas New Mexico can be reached at (505) 425-1591. Several social services and emergency assistance is offered. They run a thrift store for clothing and household goods. They also run the Love Your Neighbor Fund in partnership with churches. Assistance is available for paying utility bills and other household expenses. Learn more.
Food pantries in northern New Mexico
- Ojo Sarco Community Center is located in Chamisal, New Mexico 87521. Phone (505) 689-2361
- Knights Of Columbus - Espanola Valley – Telephone (505) 753-4544
- Rock Christian Outreach. Address is 919 North Riverside Drive, Espanola, NM 87532. Call (505) 753-2094
- Santa Cruz United Methodist Church - (505) 753-3151
- Seventh Day Adventist Church. May have meals, groceries, canned goods and more. 1426 El Llano Road, Espanola, NM 87532. (505) 753-5725
- Las Vegas Community Food Pantry - (505) 425-7883
- St. Gertrude's Parish may have emergency food boxes, formula, and more for low income families. 1 Church Plaza, Mora, NM 87732. (505) 387-2336
- Nambe Commodities – telephone number is (505) 455-2288
- Compassionate Christian Outreach Ministries runs a food pantry for Questa and other regions. Items distributed include clothing, furniture, free food boxes and household goods. (575) 770-5446
- Pueblito United Methodist Church is located at 1309 Paseo del Pueblo Norte. Call (575) 758-3166.
- San Francisco De Asis Parish, 60 St. Francis Plaza, Ranchos de Taos, NM 87557, (575) 758-2754
- Hunger Pantry located at First Presbyterian Church in Raton. (575) 445-3514
- Raton St. Vincent De Paul Society food pantry also has a thrift shop. (575) 445-9763
- Find more on food pantries in New Mexico.
Community clinics and health care centers
Las Clinicas Del Norte - El Ritolas offers primary and preventive medical care. Examples include immunizations, well child care, family planning, pre- and post-natal care, and HIV testing. Counseling is offered as well. Also get referrals to disability and public aid programs. 185 Highway 84, Abiquiu, NM 87510. Telephone (505) 685-4479
- 28 State Road 571, El Rito, New Mexico 87530, (505) 581-4728
- 35282 Highway 285, Ojo Caliente, NM 87549, main phone number is (505) 583-2191
Holy Cross Hospital - Moreno Valley Health Care Clinic can be reached at (575) 377-3301
El Centro Family Health - Coyote Medical Clinic has a few centers around the region. Low cost and affordable medical care is available. Assistance is provided for conditions including well child care, immunizations, standard medical procedures, and primary care. State Road 96 #3396, Coyote, NM 87012. (575) 638-5487
- Highway 68, 2243 Rinconada, Embudo, New Mexico 87531, telephone (505) 579-4255
- 1235 8th Street, Las Vegas, NM 87701, call for intake (505) 425-6788
- State Road 75 #15136, Penasco, New Mexico 87553, main number is (575) 587-2205
- County Road 75 #60, Truchas, NM 87578, call (505) 689-2461 for information.
La Clinica Rural Outreach is a community clinic/health center providing medical, dental, behavioral health and EMS Services to the low income and uninsured. Youth development and mental health programs are available too. Call for intake (505) 588-7252.
Penasco Rural Health Clinic (phone number (575) 587-1833) focuses on prevention and wellness. The location will offer evaluation then it provides primary health care, diagnoses, and treatment as needed. Receive health care for acute problems and management of chronic illnesses.
Questa Health Center can be reached at (575) 586-0315.