HELP-NM Community action agency.
The non-profit HELP-NM provides assistance across most New Mexico counties and cities. While the objective of the community action agency is to help clients overcome poverty and get back on track to financial stability, some short term support may be provided too.
The locations may offer free food, housing assistance, funds for paying bills in a crisis, and more. HELP-NM will also assist clients with improving their education and gaining a new job. Residents from the counties of Bernalillo, Colfax, Los Alamos, Mora, Rio Arriba, San Miguel, Sandoval, Santa Fe, Taos, and Torrance can call the agency for help or referrals.
Housing for the disabled and those with special needs may be arranged. HELP-NM is a key agency that is involved with the New Mexico Special Needs Initiative. They partner with Permanent Supportive Low Income Housing units including Artisan/Sawmill, Luna Lodge, and Plaza Feliz in Bernalillo County. The non-profit also works with La Pradera in Lea County New Mexico. They are responsible for dozens of apartment units in the region that are available for those with special needs.
Some of these Community Providers assist the individual with the application process as well as provide advice and social services as needed. HELP-NM will accept and process applications for these apartments. So a number of housing solutions may be offered.
Individual Development Accounts is offered nationally as a matched savings program. It is offered for income eligible working individuals. The money saved, and the matching grants provided, can be used to help pay for purchase of a home, to start a business, or pay for to attend post secondary education. The staff that administer this provide asset building and trains participants in areas of financial literacy and budgeting.
Emergency Assistance is very limited. It may be provided by HELP-NM to those that qualify, including showing a need for support and self-sufficiency. Funds can be used to pay a portion of their utility bills, rent, prescription medications or even food costs. It is one time only.
Work experience services are offered by the HELP-NM Community action agency. It is for adults and youth that are lacking work history. It can also benefit individuals that are seeking to obtain experience in more sustainable employment opportunities. Participants of the program will be placed in worksites at local employers. If needed, they will also receive reimbursement, such as for transportation, while acquiring needed skills.
On-the-Job Training can provide people with the specific skills that may be required in current and future growth industries. After all, a well paying job and competitive wages are key to overcoming poverty. Many employers in Bernalillo and Santa Fe participate.
Class Room Training will offer education, workshops and/or training that will culminate in credentials that will assist the client with finding and obtaining sustainable employment. Participants may receive wages or a one time assistance payment while in training as well.
Head Start is available in New Mexico. The community action agency takes a leading role in offering this in New Mexico. It can assist child under the age of 5 and will improve education, health, and their nutrition. In general, a child will be better prepared for school.
Federal government grants were used to create Special Needs Housing Initiative. The non-profit is paying for low income and affordable housing in the region. Funds may also be used for repairs or rehabilitation of the homes of qualified low income residents or seniors. The agency works with housing developers across Bernalillo, Mora, Sandoval, and other counties to ensure enough units of affordable homes and apartments are available. Staff from the community action agency may have information on affordable housing, including section 8 units.
United States Department of Agriculture helps pay for the Child & Adult Care Food Program, or CACFP. This is when HELP-NM works with day care providers and other groups to ensure children and students are fed and get the nutrition they need. So while the non-profit does not deal directly with the public on this, they will work with day and child care providers to provide nutritious meals and snacks to the children for whom they provide care.
The main office of HELP-NM is 5101 Copper Ave., NE, Albuquerque, New Mexico, (505) 265-3717. Additional sites are as follows.
- 500 N, Main St., Suite 501, Roswell, NM 88201, Phone Number: (575) 208-0997
- 108 E High St, Grants, NM 87020-2453, call (505) 287-7550
- 516 Maxwell, PO Box 442, Springer, New Mexico 87747, call (575) 483-5927
- Chaparral - Family Development Center, 250 County Line, Chaparral, NM 88081, (575) 824-4197
- Las Cruces FSD, 1252 Barker Rd, Las Cruces, NM 88005-3182, main phone (575) 523-2311
- 1000 McNutt Rd, Sunland Park, NM 88063, (575) 528-9933
- 410 West Broadway, Silver City, NM 88061, dial (575) 388-9005
- PO Box 74, Animas, NM 88020, (575) 548-2795
- Lordsburg - WDD, 512 Main St, PO Box 237, Lordsburg, New Mexico 88045, telephone (575) 542-9895
- 726 E Michigan Dr, Suite 117, Hobbs, NM 88240-3467, (575) 393-3392
- Columbus Head Start Center, PO Box 282, Columbus, NM 88029, (575) 531-2599
- 601 West Aztec, PO Box 276, Gallup, New Mexico 87301, main number: (505) 722-7835 or (505) 722-7083
- Hwy 518 Main St, PO Box 541, Mora, NM 87732, (575) 387-229
- Alamogordo Head Start Center, 1800 1st Street, Alamogordo, NM 88310, Main Phone Number: (575) 439-6316
- La Luz Head Start Center, 8 Baca Rd, PO Box 471, La Luz, NM 88337, (575) 437-4485
- Tularosa Head Start Center, 1050 S Bookout Rd, Tularosa, NM 88352, dial (575) 585-4818
- 1302 Calle de Le Merced, Suite C, Espanola, NM 87532, (866) 665-4905
- Las Vegas, 1212 National Ave, Las Vegas, NM 87701, Main Phone Number: (505) 425-9307
- Bernalillo County, 149 E Calle Don Francisco, Bernalillo, NM 87004, (505) 404-8449
- 501 Airport Dr, Suite 255, Farmington, NM 87401, dial (505) 327-1155
- Santa Fe Center, 664 Alta Vista, Suite C, Santa Fe, NM 87505, (505) 986-9003
- Truth or Consequences - WDD, 122 North Broadway, PO Box 3005, Truth or Consequences, NM 87901, Telephone - (575) 894-0077
- City - Socorro, 109 Faulkner, Socorro, NM 87801, (575) 835-0067
- Taos FSD, 106 Gusdorf Place, Taos, New Mexico 87571, (575) 758-3988
- Moriarty, 109 Tulane, Moriarty, NM 87035