Assistance programs Holmes and Washington County Florida.
Find financial help as well as free stuff in Holmes as well as Washington County FL. There are charities and churches that help low income families with bills (rent, electric, transportation, etc.). Or locate places for free food or groceries, gasoline cards, job training services and other support. The goal is to offer short term emergency help with long term self-sufficiency.
Tri-County Community Council, Inc. focuses on providing free home improvements from weatherization and energy bill assistance. However other emergency services may be administered, such as homeless prevention and referrals. The center is located at Bonifay, Florida 32425. Dial (850) 547-3689
- Weatherization – The objective of this federal government funded program is to help the low income save money on their cooling and energy bills. The program can help people weatherize their homes in order to make them more efficient and stop air infiltration. The work offered by weatherization includes installation of electric hot water heaters, caulking, weather-stripping of doors, window glazing, attic insulation and ventilation, door and window replacement and repair, and repair of exterior floors, walls, and ceilings.
- In certain cases an appliance can even be replaced by weatherization. For this to occur, the existing system must be inoperable, energy inefficient, not repairable at a reasonable cost, or unsafe to operate.
- Families can apply for LIHEAP at this site. This program is different from weatherization in that direct cash assistance can be provided to Washington and Holmes County Florida families to help them pay their utility bills. Some money can be rapidly paid out too if the applicant is faced with a disconnection. So LIHEAP can provide assistance in emergency situations to eligible individuals and families who are in a crisis. Click here for more on Florida electric bill assistance.
- The community action agency also offers a free food pantry for needy individuals and families. There are also Meals on Wheels for the elderly. The pantry can provide them with free groceries, meals, personal toiletries and food items. From time to time other products like diapers, formula, or household products are offered.
- Self sufficiency, referrals, and anti-poverty programs are all offered by Tri-County Community Council Inc. The non-profit can refer people to private and non-profit organizations in the community, as well as help people apply for government aid such as food stamps, WIC, or homeless prevention services. Read more public assistance in Florida.
Other support can be arranged as well for both household expenses and self-sufficiency needs. So clients on the region may also be provided a loan from the Tri-County community action agency. Call (850) 547-3689, or stop by 330 Highway 90 West in Bonifay, Florida, or click here Tri-County community action agency assistance programs.
Feeding the Gulf Coast / Bay Area Food Bank – This center is a member of the nationwide Feeding America program and network of pantries. The center can distribute free food or groceries through charitable organizations and churches on the Florida Gulf Coast. There are also free They also specialize in providing food to children in enrichment programs. Serves Holmes and Washington Counties. Call (850)626-1332
Homeless and Hunger Coalition can be called at 850-769-0783. The center may be able to financially assist low-income families and individuals in resolving immediate problems. The non-profit works by providing assistance for basic needs such as rent, housing, and energy bills. There may also be grants for housing expenses such as security deposits, and free landlord and tenant mediation arranged. Single parents in Washington and Holmes County, the working poor and others can also get help finding low-income housing.
The non-profit is made up of local churches, faith based groups and charities. Based on funding levels in the community, everything from referrals to transitional housing to grants for back rent or other expenses is available. Some mortgage or home buying services can also help residents. Clients can also learn about foreclosure or eviction prevention counseling, government run food programs, security deposit grants and more. Read Homeless and Hunger Coalition Northwest Florida.
Department of Children and Families (DCF) has an office at 117 Waukesha Street, Bonifay, FL 32425. Meet with a social worker. Get assistance with applying for public assistance. Services they will assist and advice on include Food Stamps, TANF, Medicaid and EBT. There are also other benefits from the state and the ACCES Florida benefit program. Whether cash aid, unemployment or others, learn more on ACCESS Florida online benefit programs.
Catholic Charities of Northwest Florida, Inc. is also available as a resource. Regardless of the residents religion, the location provides professional counseling and assistance programs to enhance and preserve the lives of all people. Apply for emergency assistance for paying bills and rent, traditional case management, shelter, free food, clothing, and life skills training.
The Catholic Charities also help immigrants and migrant farm workers. Or women facing domestic violence can be given support. There is also a free clothing closet and furniture program at the CC Washington - Homeless County charity. Phone number (850)763-0475.
Elder Care Services, Inc. – Focuses on senior citizens. The agency can help improve the quality of life of seniors through advocacy, services, programs, and volunteer opportunities. There are also free Meals on Wheels, applications to Medicare or prescription drug programs and other financial help. Call (850)547-2511
The Salvation Army - Provides immediate response, and maybe even cash assistance, to those in need without discrimination. Services offered by the charity include clothing, furniture, food, counseling, or case management. There is also short term, emergency rental as well as electric bill assistance. Or find substance abuse services, a homeless shelter as well as transitional housing. Telephone Phone (850)769-5259. Or continue to find Salvation Army programs in FL.
Washington County Council on Aging, Inc. - Provide services to frail elderly and advocates for seniors. Get information on government health care such as Medicaid, Medicare part D, or legal support. Serves seniors in Washington County Florida. The address is 1348 South Blvd, Chipley, FL 32428. Phone (850)638-6217
Department of Health Holmes County focuses on medical care. Some of the primary free or affordable health care services include primary care, childhood immunizations, chronic disease program, and family planning. This services can help people without heath insurance as well as the working poor.
Other resources administered are the Florida cervical and breast cancer program, Healthy Start, prenatal care, and school health. Apply for private and public programs, including medical assistance here. This will be prescription assistance program and WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) food supplementation program. An after-hours clinic for non-emergency primary care is available. The location is Bonifay, FL 32425, call 850-547-8500 for intake.