Grayson County assistance programs.
Financial assistance in Grayson County can help low-income and/or struggling families pay the bills. Find charities, churches, non-profits and even government aid from Health and Human Social Services, all of which can assist with rent, utility bills, groceries, medical and other basic needs.
Whether low income, unemployed, or a single parent (mom), grants, loans, and case management is offered. There are even free meals from soup kitchens near you that can help feed a family, or information on cash aid from the government or free debt relief programs in Sherman. All this, and more, is available as noted below.
Get help with bills and housing expenses
Struggling families and individuals can get assistance from the Texoma Council of Governments (TCOG), which is a voluntary organization of local governmental units that provides local people with numerous resources to make it thru a difficult period and will help them pay bills and expenses. Phone 903-813-3510.
- The community action agency has applications to the Grayson County Rent assistance / Family Self-sufficiency program. They offer a low rent housing voucher program that will also include a self sufficiency program and direct cash grants to help pay rent. Aid is available in Fannin and Grayson counties Texas. Counselors can also work one on one with homeowners in the area to find a solution to their personal housing crisis.
- Utility bill assistance is offered from free government grants, payments plans, and other financial support. Services from this program include the co-payment of utility bills for a specific period of time while also helping families with ways to conserve energy. Some of the other services offered also include a case management program that helps people get back on their feet over the long term, and can also provide some short term assistance with the cost of expenses such as transportation, education, and childcare bills. Case managers can direct individuals to energy bill programs in Texas as well, which are offered directly by power and utility companies.
The utility assistance program may pay a single utility bill or several, depending on the applicant's situation and immediate need. Sometimes someone may just need one bill caught up and then they're back on their feet again, or other times, in particular for folks who may be on a fixed income, they are able to make two or three payments for them to help get things back under control.
- The free Weatherization program is also available from TCOG for low income households, the elderly, and disabled in Grayson County. This will provide either renter or owner housing units with improvements or upgrades that will reduce the homeowners or renter utility costs. Some of the improvements that can be undertaking include insulation in the walls, attic, and floors; replacement of exterior doors and/or windows, caulking, weather-stripping, repair or replacement of heating and/or air conditioning units and the insulation of storm windows. Learn more on, or find, free insulation programs from weatherization.
- Emergency assistance for energy costs in Grayson County from CEAP is another financial assistance program. The community action agency also process applications for CEAP, which is the state of Texas version of LIHEAP. This program can pay a household’s utility bills and also provide for free weatherization services. A focus is on the elderly and households with your children in Sherman and Grayson Texas.
- Senior programs, as well as their caregivers or spouses, can get help. Retired individuals, senior citizens, and the elderly have access to one one more of the following programs and services. They include Benefits Counseling, Caregiver Program, Foster Grandparent Program, Elder Watch Home Care Management, Money Management Program, Home By Choice (Nursing Home Relocation Program). Faith in Action Volunteer Caregiver Program, Grandparents/Relatives as Parents, Guardianship Program as well as Medication Assistance Program.
- Financial advice is offered in Grayson County by the Texoma Council of Governments community action agency. Counselors can help clients pay off credit card debt, improve their credit, help with auto loans and so much more. Low income families and those living check to check can even learn about saving money and reducing expenses. As that is key to the process too. Learn more on how to save money.
To learn more on these resources, call Texoma Council of Governments (TCOG) at 903-813-3510. Or continue to find details on Texoma Council of Governments assistance programs.
Free basic needs, including financial help, food or referrals in Grayson County
Non-profits in Sherman and Grayson County provide everything from free food to applications to government grants for housing or rent, SNAP food stamps, and even clothing. Much of this is provided from referrals from the staff at a local pantry, but each location is focused on helping the working poor.
Over 10 free food banks/pantries and soup kitchens as well as clothing closets often try to provide this form of support. There may be free food baskets, personal hygiene supplies, clothes for work and more. Or they will link the family to a charity to contact for help. Read more on Grayson County free food pantries.
Grayson County Health and Human Resources Department provides information, and applications to, state of Texas benefits, public assistance, medical care or eyeglass programs and more. They are located at 2001 N Loy Lake Rd, Sherman, TX 75090. Call (903) 892-0581. Some of what may be offered in below.
- HHDR can help low income families get Texas Benefits such as SNAP food stamps, temporary cash assistance, and other financial aid.
- The Department in Sherman also focuses on health, dental, vision, and other medical needs. Free glasses, dental cleanings, assistance for the uninsured and more is offered. Find a free eye exam near you.
- The Health and Human Resources Department also encourages, and focuses on, self-sufficiency. This may be employment, financial literacy, and similar services, all of which can help Grayson County families gain stability. They can also arrange free day care for parents.
Many other assistance programs, government grants, elder care, disability assistance and more is offered. Whether the client is unemployed, a single mom or dad, or in a nursing home, financial aid, grants, loans and free items may be offered. The main address is 2001 N Loy Lake Rd, Sherman, TX 75090. For details or application ,dial (903) 892-0581.
Sherman Salvation Army center - This location will help vulnerable families. Many social services are arranged for low income families in Grayson County, with a focus on case management. Depending on funding levels, the programs are as follows.
Free food may be provided from a pantry, and there are also hot holiday meals including at both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Volunteers also donate free Christmas toys, school supplies, and other basic needs items to provide children at the Christmas holiday or school season.
Case managers from the Grayson County Salvation Army will also help clients apply for financial help, such as loans for utilities or rent costs. Other services may include summer camp for kids, emergency shelter, school supplies, support for immigrants in the county, and information on job placement. More on Salvation Army services in Grayson County.