latest nhpb_banner 1__compressed2



Local programs - Search

Immediate Financial Assistance

Rental Assistance

Food Pantries

Utility Bill Help

Free Stuff

Work From Home Jobs

Public and Government Assistance

Disability Benefits

Section 8 Housing

Senior Help

Free Money

Free Grants

Free Clothes

Charity Assistance

Church Assistance

Community Action Agencies

Car Payment Assistance

How to Save Money

Help with Medical Bills



Eviction and homeless prevention programs California.

Find how tenants facing eviction will get emergency help in California from non-profit agencies, charities or the government. There are a wide variety of homeless prevention and rapid rehousing programs. The goal is to help keep low-income families, people with no money and working poor in their home or apartment. Find how to stop an eviction in CA or to get rehoused if homeless.

Many charities or government agencies are part of the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Continuum of Care program or offer Emergency Solution Grants (ESG). They also offer their own hardship funds to tenants being evicted. The solutions include rent money, legal aid or free motel vouchers to the homeless or to low-income families threatened with an eviction, including help to single moms or dads to delay or stop the eviction.

Financial help and grants to help people with evictions in California

There are several components to it, but the overall objective it take a pro-active approach to prevent evictions and to return the currently homeless to safe, affordable, and permanent housing. The organizations listed below that participate offer services and help families gain self-sufficiency. Examples of what may be provided include free legal aid to tenants with a pay or quit or eviction notice. There are also emergency funds to pay rent or the security deposit on a new home, motel vouchers, and much more. There is also details on how to apply for section 8 in CA.

California low-income tenants with an eviction notice may be able to qualify for one time, emergency rental assistance to prevent an eviction. However, as noted the funds are limited and will come with conditions. If an agency does not have the money to assist you, they may be able to provide referrals to other local charities or non-profits.

Families about to be evicted from a home or apartment in CA can get other support too. Some of the organizations will also partner with pro-bono law firms that also offer advice and tips on how to remain housed and prevent an eviction. So while funds to pay a rent expense are limited, there are other options available as well.

Other services for eviction help are available in California from the local resources, including but not limited to Continuum of Care. The agencies that receive the government grants from HUD may customize their own programs and plans. Some charity or government organizations may offer free legal representation to contest illegal evictions. Or more long term transitional housing may be offered for periods of up to 2 years. Other resources may be for those with a mental illness or some form of disability. The bottom line is that grants are used to address a wide variety of housing needs in en effort to stop homelessness in California.




CalWORKs Eviction and Homeless Assistance is available in a very limited number of situations. Most of the rental assistance is for the unemployed, very low income, veterans in CA or disabled. The state may offer one time cash grants for paying a portion of back rent if the applicant has an eviction notice from their landlord.

  • There may also be help for those families or individuals that are currently homeless. CalWORKs may be able to offer free motel or hotel rooms (though it is rare) or money to pay for a security deposit on a new, low income home in California. Other programs for the homeless include shelters, transitional housing, and placement into low income apartments. More on CalWORKs Housing Assistance.

Another option in California is the Emergency Solutions Grant. This is a federal government created program that operates on an annual basis. Charities as well as local community action agencies may receive funds that are used to pay back rent to stop evictions, or the federal money is used to pay for the operation of shelter or low income housing units in the state. ESG, as it is widely known, may also help the currently homeless pay for either a rental or utility deposit on their new apartment as well, and the agencies below may have referrals to it.

  • The grants from ESG are targeted at low-income families, or single people, to help them from being evicted. The grant money can be used for numerous housing expenses, but the majority is for tenants that are in rent arrears. The government also opens this program for all races, religions, and religions, so immigrants and non-English speakers can apply for eviction help. Locate additional resources that offer emergency help for rent.

California rehousing programs

The state, partnering with local charities, also focuses on coordinating rapid rehousing including short term housing. Individuals, including the disabled, seniors, single parents, or veterans, that are homeless may be able to use these facilities. Government grants are used to keep shelters running in the state. There are also low income, transitional housing units and apartments available. These programs will also offer guests with ongoing case management as well as self-sufficiency. This will try to address the root cause of homelessness, and it may offer information on job placement, financial literacy and other resources.





The currently homeless can also get help in locating and paying for permanent housing in California. Clients can explore low income apartments, public housing units, and other options. There may also be short term loans or funds to pay for a security deposit, a utility connection fee, or first months rent.

  • In addition, even more important, the underlying cause of the hardship needs to be addressed. The client needs to work with case managers towards self-sufficiency. This means that any type of cash assistance will not be paid out to those that are not strongly committed to, or on the path to self-sufficiency.

Additional homeless prevention programs in California

Federal government HUD grants for deposits or rent, legal aid, rehousing, and other programs can also be used to stop homeless in the state. Some agencies are focused on one specific county, and they both try to prevent an eviction from occurring and help people find a new apartment to live in. Find major cities and counties below, or scroll down for more resources.




Additional homeless prevention and rehousing programs are available in other CA communities too. The main phone number for additional support is (916) 651-5155. Customer services can help people, or families, from being evicted from their house or apartment.

Related Content From











Contact Us

About Us

Financial Literacy Blog

Privacy policy

Visit Facebook page