Riverside County eviction and homeless prevention assistance.

The county of Riverside uses funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development as well as local resources as part of  Street Outreach to help prevent evictions as well as rehouse the homeless. There is a pro-active approach taken in the region, with a particular focus on what is known as a Housing First solution. More information on the services available are below.

Anyone that is currently homeless may be able to receive rehousing services as well as basic needs. This is provided as part of the Homeless Street Outreach Program/Team. Various non-profits and government agencies in the region pro-actively go out to the community to find those that are living either on the streets or in a place not meant for human habitation.

While this can help a Riverside resident that was evicted, ideally the tenant should ask for assistance before this occurs. It is always recommended to find help before a landlord sends a formal pay or quit notice, as by that time the options are limited. Also, if the cause of the eviction in on a non-monetary issue (such as damage to the home, noise disturbance, or another dispute) the Riverside County programs can help with those as well. This is often dealt with by attorneys who are part of the continuum of care network.

However, if the above can't be done, then rapid rehousing may be provided as a last resort. First, the homeless person will be referred to a local shelter in Riverside County, or they will be given a free motel voucher if full. While there, basic needs will be met. If the person needs food, access to medical and behavioral health services, or clothing, that can be arranged as part of rehousing.

Since this is an ongoing task, the county relies on partners as well as part of the rehousing program. There are health professionals, city social service staff, charities, law enforcement, and others in the the community at-large that offer help. Some of these groups even use a ride along service to find the homeless where they live.

The Riverside California Outreach Team assist those that are both chronically homeless as well as someone that was just evicted. There have been examples of dozens of people that were moved directly into new, affordable housing. As part of this, the county may offer grants from HUD to help pay for expenses including rent in advance, security or utility deposits, and moving costs. The Housing First approach offers this and more.




Another innovate housing program in the region is street to home. This will move a resident who is chronically homeless directly into a new residence in quick order. It is a small scale service that offers intensive case management as part of the rehousing process.

When an eviction notice has been served, or if the renter is on the verge of it, Riverside County will arrange assistance in these instances as well. TBRA, or the Tenant-Based Rental Assistance Program is one tool used for homeless prevention in Riverside California. It combines government grants for rent arrears with move-in assistance, housing subsidies and guidance. All applications are closely screened by the administering agency, which is the Housing Authority of the County of Riverside

Some evicted residents may be moved in fairy short order into the Riverside Permanent Supportive Housing Program, or SHP. This is paid for using ESG grants as well as additional funding from the HUD Continuum of Care program. While it is not as fast as streets to home (indicated above), not only will it minimize the time that someone is homeless, but it can help the family regain stability.

SHP is available for a wide variety of individuals in Riverside. A resident that was disabled and that was evicted can apply, and there is also housing for veterans and senior citizens among others. While SHP is not the ideal solution as it is reactive to solution and does not stop the eviction from occurring, it is one more option for struggling households.

Non-profits in Riverside County that are part of the continuum of care offer other assistance to tenants that are threatened with an eviction. There are specific programs such as VASH - Veterans' Administration Supportive Housing Initiative for military members as well as legal aid to address housing issues. Everything from financial help in the form of government grants for rent to counseling is used to help a family. For referrals to these services, call 951-826-2200.



By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy