Stanislaus County eviction and rehousing assistance programs.

Stanislaus County non-profits offer eviction assistance as well as rapid rehousing services from HPRP and other Housing and Urban Development programs. The state of California as well as federal government fund many of these resources in the city of Modesto as well as across the county.

Families that have a low income, and that rent their home, may be able to qualify for emergency eviction help when they have an unexpected crisis. There is also assistance available to the currently homeless in Stanislaus County, and they may qualify for rehousing as part of HPRP. Numerous agencies, such as Interfaith Ministries, coordinate the services.

Programs to stop an eviction – The key for the tenant is to be pro-active. Prevention in the form of financial help may be used as well as other approaches, but requests must be made early. However when the family or individual has an significant amount of arrears on their account, by that point in time the solutions are limited.

Several agencies in the area may be able to direct the applicant to a grant program. While CalWORKs is available as one option (see below) clients can also turn to non-profits for eviction help. Some of them such as the Children's Crisis Center Of Stanislaus County Inc. will work to keep families together, whether they are single parents or married. Staff from Community Housing and Shelter Services can also direct single moms or parents with children to other resources for stopping the eviction or rehousing. They also help victims of domestic abuse.

Other groups that are involved in homeless prevention, such as Interfaith Ministries or We Care of Turlock California, have more diverse services, but they too have limited funds. In almost all instances the applicant will need to be fully involved in a case management process with groups such as the Salvation Army. This will ensure the person seeking help for their eviction have a decent paying job, that they know how to budget, and meet other financial goals.

HUD and government resources in Stanislaus County – There are several resources available. Most of these are the result of money given to the region from the Department of Housing and Urban Development, which is a federal government agency. Congress sets funding levels for these services on an annual basis.





Grants can be used for preventing evictions from these federal government sponsored programs. Or programs such as Supportive Services for Veteran Families or Shelter Care Plus can help rehouse the disabled or veterans. Other resources available is section 8 HUD vouchers, which can be used for long term housing stability, as well as Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA).

The Department of Human Services, which is based in Modesto, can provide information on homeless assistance from CalWORKs. There is an eviction part of this as well as a service for moving/relocating families. Vouchers can be used to pay for everything from a motel room to security deposit or rental storage fees. The eligibility is very restricted, and most residents may only be able to apply once per lifetime.

Rehousing for the low income and homeless – HPRP is the resources used for this as well. There are several expenses that can be paid for using this program, ranging from security deposits to housing placement services or an attorney deal that resulted from a previous eviction hearing in the local court.

What rehousing can do is help a family (or single person) that is living in a shelter or motel move into a new home. Clients can often select their own private housing unit, such as a condominium, townhome, or even trailer. As long as it is affordable and safe, it may be approved.

Stanislaus County will also arrange case-management for the participant. Housing specialists will meet with the tenant over time to advise them. If the family has a hardship in the future, that could potentially lead to an eviction, this pro-active case-management process will help minimize the crisis.

Legal assistance and mediation services – Low income families, the working poor, and senior citizens can all turn to California Rural Legal Assistance (CRLA) for eviction help. There is a sliding fee scale in place, so some minimal fees may be owed for a portion of the total bill.




Homeless prevention is available from the lawyers. They specialize in dealing with Subsidized Housing issues, offer support in addressing pay or quit notices from a landlord, and solve issues with Mobile Homes. The team can also assist with applications to Public Benefits, such as section 8 vouchers.

As noted, many different organizations take part in the eviction and homeless prevention programs. Call 877-211-7826 for screening as well as information on application sites in the area.

By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy