York County Pennsylvania eviction and rehousing assistance

Multiple companies provide eviction prevention services in York County. The programs, which are paid for by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) as well as state funds, is known as the Homeless Assistance Program. It provides grants, legal aid, security deposit help in the form of rehousing, and other support services.

There are multiple forms of help administered to tenants and the homeless. They include emergency shelter, ESG grants for paying rent arrears, utilities, or security deposits. Another resource is bridge, or transitional housing. Any type of eviction or rehousing programs will also arrange case management for the applicant.

The agencies that provide these services also partner with the United Way of York County Pennsylvania as well as the Department of Human Services/Welfare Office. For more information or referrals, the phone number is below. Or people can contact the non-profit Bell Socialization Services, YWCA ACCESS, or Community Progress Council. All of these non-profits have staff on site to help the vulnerable.

When applying for the HAP - Homeless Assistance Program, the staff from each agency will review an application on a one off basis. Any assistance is provided based on funding levels as well as the applicant's merit. If a family seeking help has not taken the critical steps to “help themselves” rather than relying on government aid, then the chances of receiving eviction prevention services is very limited.

The type of aid offered in York County will vary. It changes from year to year and also will depend on the applicant's living situation. HAP also depends on the HUD funding, and the federal government will often set guidelines on this. Some examples of the what the program can do is as follows:

-Currently homeless families may receive help. There is placement into shelters, motel vouchers, or money to pay for a security deposit. Also, ongoing advice and classes will be given to the client so they learn about landlord/tenant obligations. This covers how to prevent a future eviction, what they are required to do to maintain the home, learn about legal rights, and more.





-Tenants with a pay or quit or eviction notice can apply for grants. Organizations such as the Community Progress Council of York, which are closely involved in the HAP process can offer financial help. Money, or no interest loans in some cases, may be used to pay rent in a crisis, or there may be grants for heating or utility bills to stop the eviction.

-Shelters are available in York County. There are sites for women, children, veterans, and other vulnerable groups. Everything from meals to clothing, hygiene items, budgeting classes, and other homeless prevention services are arranged.

-Transitional housing, also commonly called a “Bridge” service  in the York area, is for people that are moving from the shelter. This is the next step in their eventual placement into a new, low income apartment. Many individuals that were evicted, or are threatened with it, use these bridge programs from non-profits such as Bell Socialization Services.

-Pro-bono legal aid, which is offered at no cost to York County income qualified tenants, is available for housing matters. There are non-profit firms which offer free eviction prevention advice and other services. A focus of this is on the disabled and senior citizens in York Pennsylvania that are struggling.

-Mediation in York County Pennsylvania is also available. All parties, including the landlord, case manager, tenant, a mediator will meet to review the details on the eviction is an effort to find some form of solution that would ideally benefit all parties involved. While not always possible, it is an option.




All applicants seeking eviction help will need to show that they can provide for their own basic needs in the future, after HAP has assisted them. This will ensure any reliance on government entitlements is broken. This is the case even if the client is unemployed or living on a fixed income; all tenants need to be able to afford the cost of housing on their own.

York County families that are facing an eviction or homelessness due to some other financial crisis may be candidates for these Homeless Assistance Programs. But this is one time only aid for those residents that are facing an emergency and that have otherwise been stable. For more information as well as referrals, dial (717) 846-4600.


By Jon McNamara

“Related Links” are listed below.




Contact Us

About Us


Privacy policy